Main Menu
K

Ah, de Havilland!

Started by K5054NZ, May 04, 2008, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

I mean, c'mon! A DH Group Build! How cool would that be?

Turboprop Mosquito? Glider Vampire? Fighter DH88 Comet?

There are so many different opportunities.... :wub:

*random ejaculation of ideas off*

EDIT: After discovering the Mossie thread in the Research forum, how about a Mossie GB? Lots of ideas in there. There are so many kits out there to cater for almost everyone's scale, price and skill level, and so many fine ideas already put out there. What does everyone think? Perhaps to start in November to coincide with the anniversary of prototype E0234/W4050's first flight?

The Rat

Oh sure, you set this up AFTER I start my Nimrod flying boat.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: K5054NZ on May 04, 2008, 07:42:29 PM
*random ejaculation of ideas off*

ewwwwww!!!!   :blink: :blink: :blink:

But getting past that....it might be motivation for me to get a Dash 8 to turn into a gunship like I did with an F-27 a few years ago....I assume DH Canada would be welcome?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

K5054NZ

Yeah! Also the other end of the scale, GdH's Airco designs would be welcome too!

Brian da Basher

I'm sure you know which side of the spectrum my interests fall on, Zac-o-matic! Should this one show up in the GB poll, it's got my vote!

Brian da Basher

Mossie

Hmm, this one interests me.  I'd like to do a couple of real world builds of DH aircraft at some time.  Firstly, I'd like to build my namesake, the Mosquito as there's a family connection.  My Grandad was part of the maintainence crew at Wyton & fitted some of the first AI radar sets, it'll be a Wyton based machine I'll build.  Secondly, I'd like to build Amy Johnson's DH.60 Gipsy Moth 'Jason', as she used to fly from just about a mile away from my house.  She flew Jason on her solo flight to Australia & although the record attempt was registered from Croydon, she set off from and returned to Hedon Aerodrome (where I live, just outside Hull but the aerodrome is long since gone) to great reception from the locals.

I'm sure I can find a whiff to do too!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

seavixenxj494

What an idea ! a d.h group build is a bloody good idea just imagine some of the things you could do ¬!! :wub:

all the best , steve.

GTX

de Havilland DH.91 Albatross whiff anyone - maybe Maritime Patrol:

Also, remember these?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

There surely must be a kit around somewhere of the DH.91?  Maritime patrol, hmm, coastal command colours?

The DH.88 Comet should be worth a whiff, with that gorgeous wing shape, maybe as a Whirlwind alternative?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on May 06, 2008, 03:38:02 AM
There surely must be a kit around somewhere of the DH.91?  Maritime patrol, hmm, coastal command colours?

The DH.88 Comet should be worth a whiff, with that gorgeous wing shape, maybe as a Whirlwind alternative?

There was Simon, Aircraft in Miniature have one in their line, Historic Wings I think.  Anyway, until Neil Gaunt get the lines up and running again it will be a search on the second hand websites to find one.  And at least one real one was commandeered by the RAF during WW.II and IIRC was used in communications.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

Great idea! I think i will do a DHC Dash-8 Q400 that cannot crash! :wacko: Lets call it the Scandinavian mod :drink:

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 06, 2008, 06:11:10 AM
There was Simon, Aircraft in Miniature have one in their line, Historic Wings I think.  Anyway, until Neil Gaunt get the lines up and running again it will be a search on the second hand websites to find one.  And at least one real one was commandeered by the RAF during WW.II and IIRC was used in communications.

Thanks Robert!  I can't find it on my usual sites, which probably means if I do it's going to be expensive & I guess it'll have a vacform fuse too which I wouldn't be confident at tackling.  Never mind, plans are forming regarding the DH.88 I mentioned earlier.....

I popped into one of my LHS's today in my dinner break, somehow managed to leave without buying anything.  On the shelves there where all sorts suitable for this GB, Tiger Moths in several scales, Mossies, a Venom, Nimrod (already got one) & Dragon Rapide.  How I sat on my hands I'm not quite sure.....

I take it the base kit doesn't have to be DH product, that you could kit bash something together to resemble a De Havilland?  Pretty sure the cogs in Mr da Bashers head are working at full tilt!

Brian da Basher

Ooohhh you know it Mossie! To my mind the one thing that really stands out among DeHaviland aircraft across all eras is that wonderful shape of the fin and rudder, which I think I can manage to replicate!

I'd really like to see this GB idea get off the ground!

Now who wants to volunteer as GB moderator?
Brian da Basher