Main Menu
K

Ah, de Havilland!

Started by K5054NZ, May 04, 2008, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quoteow who wants to volunteer as GB moderator?

Maybe Zac should step forward?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Quote from: Brian da Basher on May 06, 2008, 12:11:14 PM
Ooohhh you know it Mossie! To my mind the one thing that really stands out among DeHaviland aircraft across all eras is that wonderful shape of the fin and rudder, which I think I can manage to replicate!

From about 1930 & carrying on post war you've that cowl shape from the Gypsy Major engine too, lovely.  I wonder how DH piston engines might have developed had they continued to powerplants with greater thrust, maybe keeping the inverted configuratin & chin intake?  Fatter at the bottom for a V12 layout, allowing British fighters to have guns firing through the prop?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

If no one else wants it,I'll take a bash at being the moderator on this one. Gawd knows what 'm going to do for an entry however.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

McGreig

I'd definitely be up for this GB. The Russians used DH-4s and -9s, had serious plans to license build the Mosquito and ordered a couple of Vampires (export  licence was refused), so there's plenty of scope even before I add  floats to the Ash-82 powered, Black Sea Fleet, maritime patrol Mosquito - - -

lancer

Quote from: McGreig on May 08, 2008, 09:38:37 AM
I'd definitely be up for this GB. The Russians used DH-4s and -9s, had serious plans to license build the Mosquito and ordered a couple of Vampires (export  licence was refused), so there's plenty of scope even before I add  floats to the Ash-82 powered, Black Sea Fleet, maritime patrol Mosquito - - -
Ah bugger... there goes one of my ideas, but if anyone can build it better than I even will it's you McG. I am still thinking along Soviet/ Russian lines though.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on May 06, 2008, 02:55:41 PM

From about 1930 & carrying on post war you've that cowl shape from the Gypsy Major engine too, lovely.  I wonder how DH piston engines might have developed had they continued to powerplants with greater thrust, maybe keeping the inverted configuratin & chin intake?  Fatter at the bottom for a V12 layout, allowing British fighters to have guns firing through the prop?

Having a moteur-canon does not require an inverted engine, the French used them for years with various upright Hisso V-8 and V-12 engines dating back to the First World War.

The first inverted Dh engine was the Gipsy III, basically a modified Gipsy II turned upside down.
The biggest DH engine was the 405 - 425 hp inverted V-12 Gipsy King I/ Gipsy XII used in the DH 91 Albatross and the DH 93 Don.

Don
Jon

K5054NZ

I'd be quite happy to act as moderator! Apologies for disappearing from the thread, working on a DH model - and work, girl etc etc - have taken their toll on my allocated whiff time!

Is November good? Plenty of time to fine-tune ideas and procure kits. :thumbsup:

I've got mine in mind already - a retractable biplane airliner from 'tween the wars which never progressed past prototype....gosh I love Putnam's de Havilland Aircraft Since 1909! Go the abandoned projects section!!!

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 11, 2008, 11:50:50 PM
Having a moteur-canon does not require an inverted engine, the French used them for years with various upright Hisso V-8 and V-12 engines dating back to the First World War.

The first inverted Dh engine was the Gipsy III, basically a modified Gipsy II turned upside down.
The biggest DH engine was the 405 - 425 hp inverted V-12 Gipsy King I/ Gipsy XII used in the DH 91 Albatross and the DH 93 Don.

Don
Jon
Ah, of course, the P-36 & P-40B also had the guns firing through the prop too, forgot about that.

Hmm, a developed Gypsy King might be a good idea, or at least another engine using similar principles.  It's got a nice look to it, especially with the wing mounted radiators.  Maybe a single engine fighter based on the Don?  No kit though & no engine availble from a kit with the AiM DH.91 being ultra rare, although you could scratch that shape fairly easily from a drop tank.....

Donjon :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

I need ideas for whiffing a Sea Vixen :huh: :rolleyes:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

I'm pretty sure there's a 1/72 kit of this Simon, I just can't find the link to it at the moment.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on May 12, 2008, 08:19:54 AM

Ah, of course, the P-36 & P-40B also had the guns firing through the prop too, forgot about that.

Hmm, a developed Gypsy King might be a good idea, or at least another engine using similar principles.  It's got a nice look to it, especially with the wing mounted radiators.  Maybe a single engine fighter based on the Don?  No kit though & no engine availble from a kit with the AiM DH.91 being ultra rare, although you could scratch that shape fairly easily from a drop tank.....

Radiators? Like all Gipsy engines the King was air-cooled.

Here is a pic showing the mounting of the 20mm Hispano HS404 to the Hisso 12 engine, the mounting was used in the D520 and MS405.

Jon

p.s. I was a castle in a former life.  :rolleyes:

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 12, 2008, 11:32:38 AM
Quote from: Mossie on May 12, 2008, 08:19:54 AM

Radiators? Like all Gipsy engines the King was air-cooled.

Here is a pic showing the mounting of the 20mm Hispano HS404 to the Hisso 12 engine, the mounting was used in the D520 and MS405.

Jon

p.s. I was a castle in a former life.  :rolleyes:

Or a mafia Godfather!  My brother came in yesterday with a bottle of Don Simon orange juice which got us laughing & quoting The Godfather!

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 12, 2008, 11:00:45 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a 1/72 kit of this Simon, I just can't find the link to it at the moment.

You know Robert, I'm sure I remember seeing one as well.  A Google search brought up nothing though.

sotoolslinger

JonC thanks for the cool picture of the 20mm. :thumbsup:That really helps me with the scaling on the ammo feed for the Avenger/Skyrocket

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on May 12, 2008, 03:23:28 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on May 12, 2008, 11:00:45 AM

You know Robert, I'm sure I remember seeing one as well.  A Google search brought up nothing though.
Dujin Resin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alexbigey/aeroscale7/DSCN2072.jpg
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike