Discussion: F-14, F-15 Hybrid Idea

Started by KJ_Lesnick, May 04, 2008, 09:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: r16 on June 23, 2008, 12:15:26 AM
a thousand pounds a minute , 27000 kgs an hour , take a sfc ratio of 2 which was the norm for J-79 then you will be talking about an engine of 13600 kg thrust .I don't have a likely candidate in my mind .So let's  presume 1.65 which was the A/B value for '404 in late 80's , you will have 16500 kg of thrust ; that will be an F-18 .Should be quite OK I guess.

Okay... I'm confused, you said further down on this post that a SFC of 0.8 produces 67 kg per minute (4,020 kgs an hour).  How did 2.7 which is just around 3 times that high equal 27,000 kgs an hour? 

Quoteas I posted the 2.7 value can be a misprint , but I have read that turbofans burn more in afterburner ; higher the bypass ratio , higher the sfc though the relation is not probably linear ; I mean two times the bypass would not give two times the sfc .I don't know , just expect it to be so.

I thought they'd be more efficient on AB as you'd have a multi-stage compressor (which produces a pretty good pressure ratio -- probably equal that to the pressure of the core's exhaust as it reaches the afterburner, and considering the core's exhaust is 65% air and the fan is 100% air... although, come to think about it, the core flow is moving a lot faster probably even then as both streams are subsonic and the speed of sound is determined by air temperature and the exhaust is a lot hotter than the fan...)

Quoteand afterburners are gas guzzlers ...

5000 kgs at a nominal sfc of 0.8 gives a fuel flow of 67 kgs per minute , same engine would be doing 8000 with 1.75 and the fuel is spent at a rate of 233 kg/dk... 1.6 times the thrust , 3.5 times the fuel .Afterburners are inefficient .

As I said, how is it that 0.8 produces a fuel consumption of 67 kgs a minute (4,020 an hour), and 2.7 produces 27,000 kgs an hour...

Quotean anectode on people who evaluate ; in full A/B a Su-7 will spend all of its fuel in 8 minutes . It is proof that Russians are barely off the Stone Age. Actually the F-16 does the same 20 years later .How is this to be evaluated ?

The Su-7 has more than one afterburner setting?  I thought all jets until like the J-79 had afterburner as simply ON or OFF?

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

So what's the formula for SFC?  Amount of thrust per, amount of fuel burned, per amount of time right?

Kendra Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: r16 on June 26, 2008, 12:02:26 AM
sfc value times engine thrust gives fuel expenditure in an hour . J-79 sfc was about .85 at military and 1.97 at afterburner if I am not mistaken so it depends on which setting you are calculating .

Understood

KJ_Lesnick

Okay, back to the primary issue, the F-14/F-15 Hybrid Concept.

How would a wing like the F-15U (way larger than the F-15A/C's), but the thickness (not t/c ratio, just physical thickness) being either equal or slightly greater than the F-15 (proportionally thinner than the F-15U in either case) perform compared to the F-15's wing at high-speed, and low-speeds? 

Kendra Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

r16,

Normally, I actually would actually be inclined to go with your idea.  However, from what I remember the F-15U had significant speed penalties compared to the F-15A/C (more wing-area, more drag, plus with 40% more fuel capacity, more weight), and actually I'm trying to get a plane with the same maximum-speeds as the F-15A/C.  So the best solution I could think of was to add wing-area which sounds like it would increase lift (and fuel capacity too technically since the extra wing-area could carry more gas), but keep the same thickness or only add a little bit more. 

Do you have any idea if you would gain or lose performance if you increased the wing area but kept the thickness the same?  Because when I look at it, I can see conflicting information

1.) More area equals more lift and lighter wing-loading
2.) The wing will be proportionally thinner as the physical thickness is the same resulting in a lower t/c ratio and less lift per given square foot of wing. 

I'm not sure which factor would win out.  Instinctively I think the increase in wing area would make up for the thinner surface, but instincts aren't always right you know. 

Kendra Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

To R16,
I've posted a question on the Secret-Projects forum inquiring as to how much of a wing-area difference there is between the F-15U and the F-15A/C.  If I can get that data, I know a few people I could ask how an F-15 would fly if it's wing-area was increased X-percent, and retained the same thickness. 

Kendra Lensick

KJ_Lesnick

Was the F-15's design in anyway influenced by the F-14?  (As the F-15 appears to be designed as a plane that can beat virtually anybody in a dog-fight)

Kendra Lesnick
BTW:  If anybody has any data regarding General Dynamics F/X design, please reply

KJ_Lesnick

So the F-15 was not influenced by the F-14 design then?

Kendra

KJ_Lesnick

Well, I have heard cases in the past where two simultaneous programs influenced each other...

overscan

The answer is no.

McDonnell-Douglas came a good second to Grumman in VFX (F-14) with a design that was very different indeed from their FX (F-15) submission. The F-15 configuration was complete before the VFX winner was known. McDD would hardly have been copying features from a rival VFX design.

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

KJ_Lesnick

Out of curiousity, why did the General Dynamics FX program use swing-wings (From what I remember the FX was supposed to weigh 40,000 lbs at combat weight -- I doubt you'd be able to achieve that with swing-wings...)

KJ_Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

r16,

Okay, I understand what you're saying, but what I'm wondering is... if a 40,000 lb VG design could have been cooked up, then why was the F-14 so heavy (I mean the F-4, which was for the Navy was a 40,000 pounder, and the F-15A was like 38,100 without any weapons and 40,100 with the four sparrows on it, and was an Air-Force so there's obviously not too big a weight difference if the strength is built in right?)?

KJ

Archibald

My own little suggestion : try to consider the french Mirage G (a less-known prototype which flew between 1967 and 1970)

Two-seat, TF-30, 18 tons.
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: r16 on July 21, 2008, 12:03:41 AM
ı would doubt F-14 could be done as a 18 ton aircraft as it is about 19 empty . It is massive but it is all useful weight ,at least generally . You would have to give up the Phoenix for starters I think .

All useful weight?  How so?  You mean just to carry six phoenix's, it jacks up the structural weight that much?  That doesn't make much sense to me as the F-4 could carry something like 16,000 or so pounds of bombs!

Archibald,
QuoteMy own little suggestion : try to consider the french Mirage G (a less-known prototype which flew between 1967 and 1970)

Two-seat, TF-30, 18 tons.

Now that's a nice-looking design?  Why didn't the French develop it, were there any problems with it?  (By the way -- Is a TF-306 that TF-30 design the french were trying to re-work into a turbo-ramjet?)

Kendra Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

r16,
Quotewell , you could make it to carry 16 AIM-54s if you wanted to , but the idea is to "use it in a useful way" . Remembering the F-15 which is not exactly small  would carry only 2 , at least in a naval setting , tends to support the idea the Tomcat is just about right size .

I'm not exactly sure that I understand your statement about being able to "usefully carry them" -- I thought being able to simply carry them under the plane without causing any harm to the aircraft was good enough.

I thought the USN never seriously thought of using an F-15 for Naval use?  Regardless, I'm surprised it could only carry so few of them.     

QuoteAs an aside I have seen the suggestion that the 6 Phoenix missions are not allowed as carrier decks are not cleared to absorb the landing shock that would result .

What is the maximum amount of AIM-54's an F-14 can bring-back to the carrier?

QuoteTo land x amounts of bombs on carrier , the poor USN had to buy entirely new Hornets since the legacy ones lacked the lift ,or the wing area .

I didn't know that.  Although to be honest, I think it would have been better if they went with F-14's as they could carry large amounts of bombs and were actually better in the bombing role than the F-18 was.

QuoteAnd sizing something up sizes everything up .The F-16 is less than 9 tons empty while the F-2 is 12 . And what is F-2 apart from a larger winged F-16 ?

Actually, I thought the F-2 was the same thing as an F-16 and was unaware of it's wing-size difference, but it is odd that it would have such a large wing-area difference. 

Quoteif USN sees a Phantom with 16000 pounds of bombs on it approaching to land on a carrier , I am so sure that they would open fire with everything ... Even it was 1962 and the plane had Stars and Bars the size of the carrier itself .

Well, that's probably true!

KJ