Aid by force

Started by AeroplaneDriver, May 09, 2008, 03:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Best guess is white is not only high-viz but also denotes neutrality.

Brian da Basher

Martin H

Quote from: Amphion on May 10, 2008, 02:12:21 AM
Well, using aircraft (helos, transports or fighters) in the service of UN is nothing new. Actually it's an ongoing thing.

Here's an example of how markings been applied to fighters, namely the Swedish J29 Tunnan in Congo (1961):

And F-86 from Imperial Iranian Air Force, also in Congo:

I knew about the the J29's and Indian Canberras in UN markings over the congo, the Iranian F-86's are news to me thou. Any one else have combat hardware in that op?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Rat

If we are careful with the politics this can be a great thread. An idea that I have been toying with for a long time is the concept of an entire force dedicated to things like this. The back story would be that Canada (insert waving flag here) decides to get back to a strictly peacekeeping role, but goes all out to ensure that it is done properly. The force would be equipped for very rapid initial reaction, and also be backed up with a larger force which would move in once an area has been secured. Transport aircraft would be fast and have STOL capability, and aircraft carriers would be light, fast, and provide an array of aircraft for things like ground support and resupply. A tracked amphibious vehicle would be developed which could be air-dropped and would be a modular design which could serve various roles; mobile water purification unit, medical, communications, etc.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sotoolslinger

Good idea Rattus Rattus, might I suggest some light prop or turboprop transports with v/stol capability for getting into devastated areas. Along the line of Ospreys only smaller and  that work. ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

dy031101

Quote from: The Rat on May 11, 2008, 08:20:43 AM
If we are careful with the politics this can be a great thread. An idea that I have been toying with for a long time is the concept of an entire force dedicated to things like this. The back story would be that Canada (insert waving flag here) decides to get back to a strictly peacekeeping role, but goes all out to ensure that it is done properly. The force would be equipped for very rapid initial reaction, and also be backed up with a larger force which would move in once an area has been secured. Transport aircraft would be fast and have STOL capability, and aircraft carriers would be light, fast, and provide an array of aircraft for things like ground support and resupply. A tracked amphibious vehicle would be developed which could be air-dropped and would be a modular design which could serve various roles; mobile water purification unit, medical, communications, etc.

And the very best HUMINT in the world (taking out dictators/warlords is only half the work).  Of course it'd be harder to represent it with scaled model kits.  ;D
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Gary

Why send aircraft? Send in UAV's with leaflets to tell the people to gather at locations and then use the same UAV's to drop underwing droptank like stores of MRE's. (Or would that be cruel?) If a single UAV can carry a bunch of Hellfire's why not dehydrated food?
At anyrate, UAV's would stand a much better chance of surviving. They do in actual combat areas.
Getting back into modeling

Maverick

Gary,

Food distribution is a bit more than dropping food.  Without personnel on the ground to organise, it would be pandemonium.  Watch any news program where there are crowds & food & even with personnel there it can be a tense experience.  Without those personnel, the strongest would be fed and more than likely hoard the food supplied and those weaker (sick, elderly or children) would simply go without.

Regards,

Mav

dragon

Where is INTERNATIONAL RESCUE when you really need them?
Hmmmmm....Perhaps have the crews add "nose art" to their C-130s, such as THUNDERBIRD 2, etc.... :mellow:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on May 11, 2008, 08:20:43 AM

I had a kinda related idea for basing converted container-ship helo carriers at strategic locations so that they could provide (strictly non-military) disaster relief. They'd use whatever helos were surplus and/or cheap and or supportable in their base area, so for instance, the Glaveston one (Carribean theatre) would use "donated" Huey's from AMARC, whilst the Capetown one (S.Africa theatre) would use Pumas (not cheap, but locally supportable). The ships wouldn't need all the military kit that made things like SCADS/Arapaho unfeasible, and they'd be "permanently converted", not kits waiting to be used. They'd actually be rather like the RFA Argus:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

Helicopters are useful, but inefficient at moving large amounts of equipment. A well deck and some LCACs would help in that regard. 

Gary

Quote from: Maverick on May 11, 2008, 05:00:17 PM
Gary,

Food distribution is a bit more than dropping food.  Without personnel on the ground to organise, it would be pandemonium.  Watch any news program where there are crowds & food & even with personnel there it can be a tense experience.  Without those personnel, the strongest would be fed and more than likely hoard the food supplied and those weaker (sick, elderly or children) would simply go without.

Regards,

Mav

I agree totally, however if it's a choice between having some distribution verses a shooting war to deliver aid... And UN Aid has enede up in the control of warlords in the past, even with the distribution workers and soldiers. I guess I look at it from the side of not putting our people in harms way and allowing a country to maintain its sovreigntry.

I think a robotic method would be preferable though less effective and if the buggers are stealthy enough to evade being shot down, good on ya. I think a clearly marked UN UAV raining freeze dried food in a regular rain would be the safest for all parties when delivering to hostile nations in need.

Now deck out a few C-17s in bright green with red trim and International rescue on the side. That would be awesome for delivering to countries that are willing to accept aid. Geeze, I think I need to draw this.

Dork the kit slayer

anyone know the backstory on the standard hippie peace symbol .

It comes from the old CND badge of the late 50's early 60's.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

SimonR

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on May 12, 2008, 01:57:04 PM
anyone know the backstory on the standard hippie peace symbol .

It comes from the old CND badge of the late 50's early 60's.

The "chickens footprint" was designed by Gerald Holtom and combines highly stylised representations of the semaphore signals for N and D.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on May 12, 2008, 09:10:49 AM
Helicopters are useful, but inefficient at moving large amounts of equipment. A well deck and some LCACs would help in that regard. 

Agreed, but that makes the ships new-builds, rather than converted container ships. Start adding the zeroes......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gary

Hey Mav
Thanks for not treating me like stoopid head. I appreciate your insight and I think you make a heck of a good point.

But...
How about them C-17's in Thunderbird 2 colours! (LOL)

Hey, in the paper today, the aid has started to arrive in Mirrimar. Yea! Hopefully all will end up ok in the end. Hey, I can at least hope can't I ? :lol: