Main Menu

Refueling

Started by Hobbes, May 11, 2008, 08:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

One of my projects is a refueling diorama. I've been trawling the net just now, and found some interesting pictures. I never realised the aircraft being refueled would tuck in this close. They're forward of the VC-10's engines!

This is the rig I'm using to test fit the ensemble:

;D

Amphion

[homer]Mmmmm...LEGO[/homer]  :thumbsup:
Amphion

Aircav

Super looking set up  :thumbsup:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

BlackOps

This is going to be a pretty cool display, great idea!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Hobbes

I was going to suspend them from the ceiling, but I decided I want to be able to present them at a modelshow, so now I'm trying to figure out a display stand  :banghead:

Shasper

As far as the display base goes, use either a wood or really stiff steel rod with some bendable yet stiff steel rods coming off the main support to hold the receiver a/c.

Dunno if that's even interpretable muchless a rational thought, guess I need to go to bed now :/

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

dragon

Some years ago someone did a B-52 being refueled by a KC aircraft.  For them it was easy because they pushed the steel rod through the probe and thus connected the two planes.  If I remember the article from FINE SCALE MODELER correctly, the rod was also part of the stand.   :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Hobbes

There was one like that at last year's SMW too. It's feasible (and very impressive) for 1/72 aircraft connected by a refueling boom, but these are hoses, .25 mm thick. No way they'll support a Tornado each.
I've got some acrylic rod, ideal for display stands. The problems are
- making it so it can be disassembled for transport
- finding a reasonably compact base that won't topple

Hobbes

Almost finished:

Hawkeye

Nice! One thing to remember too is that the hoses don't always just stick back straight. The receiving aircraft will push the hoses causing them to slacken a bit.

Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

kitnut617

What kit is that Hobbes ?, is it 1/144 or 1/72 ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Why am I thinking 'Starship Enterprise' when I look at the final assembly?  ;D

Cracking idea, and looks great.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

I like how great minds think alike.  Found this over at the Unofficial Airfix Forum.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Hobbes

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 01, 2010, 03:37:25 PM
What kit is that Hobbes ?, is it 1/144 or 1/72 ?

1:144 Airfix VC-10, Revell Tornado IDS and Dragon Tornado F.3.

NARSES2

That's very impressive Harro  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.