Really, really shiny sabre

Started by noxioux, May 12, 2008, 07:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

Okay, this is my first use of the Alclad stuff.  So far I'm pretty impressed.  It seemed to go on a lot easier than the SNJ I'd used before (and liked).  The problem is, the darn thing is TOO metallic now.  Of course the picture doesn't really show it off, but the thing looks entirely too shiny.  I knocked it down by polishing some aluminum powder into it, which did help.  But I have to say, this Alclad is wonderful stuff!!!

So far, this one is all real-world.  But I do promise there will be some kind of whiffery before it is done!

This is the Academy kit, which would be wonderful if Academy could ever see fit to do a decent cockpit.

sotoolslinger

Dang that's really , really shiny.  :thumbsup: :wub:and stop using my coffee can as model base trick. ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

jeff3385

Well, you could turn it into a TOPGUN aggressor type with red stars. That would be kinda different and whiffery.
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

Hawkeye

Tone it down using a satin clear coat or lightly buffing using a polishing stick to degloss it a bit.
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

SimonR

Nice job! What pressure do you use for air brushing Alclad? I've never had any success with it...
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep it's pretty good isn't it, - Erm Noxioux, old chap, is that a resin cockpit, if so.... which one ?

Here's one of my better efforts with Alclad, it's the first time I finished it off with Humbrol SatinCote. Highly reccomend it !!

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Patrick H

cool, a shiny Sabre. Realy like it. you can always say its a museum piece if you think it's to shiny.  :thumbsup:

And Ian, fabulous Sabre dog there.  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

noxioux

Nice Dog!

I sprayed it with my cheap old badger hobby compressor.  I don't know for sure what it's rated at, but it isn't too high.  I went pretty slow, and used progressive, light coats.  For instance, spray one wing, move to the next, then go to the top wings, then back on the underside, taking my time.

I didn't use very much of the product, either.  Which was nice.  I'll have plenty for my F-107. . .

I love the agressor idea.  I think I'll lean that way this time.  Thanks! :cheers:

sotoolslinger

Really slick Nox . Thanks for the painting tips too. :thumbsup: Nice threadjack Ian ;D No really , very cool Dog. :party:
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Wow, that IS shiny!  I've never used Alclad before.  Requires some nasty thinners though, right?   :o
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Very nice! I've heard lots of praise for it but unfortunately I'm an acrylic kind of guy....but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the results you guys get!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on May 13, 2008, 08:14:22 PM
Requires some nasty thinners though, right?   :o

NO !

Alclad is a cellulose lacquer suspension, just undercoat the model with (preferably) Tamiya Acryllic GLOSS BLACK. The key here is to give the undercoat lots of time to dry - much longer than you normally would. Spray the Alclad straight from the bottle. Low pressure is best, around 10-15psi, then walk away for a half hour then, come back and spray a second coat..... really isn't a 'Black Art' just needs some practice, trust me (and Nox).

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

Cool info Ian. Is ALCLAD a brand or a trade name . Who is it made by and is it available in the states? :bow:
I amuse me.

van883

Really shiny and really nice!

Van

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on May 14, 2008, 01:22:33 AM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on May 13, 2008, 08:14:22 PM
Requires some nasty thinners though, right?   :o

NO !

Alclad is a cellulose lacquer suspension, just undercoat the model with (preferably) Tamiya Acryllic GLOSS BLACK. The key here is to give the undercoat lots of time to dry - much longer than you normally would. Spray the Alclad straight from the bottle. Low pressure is best, around 10-15psi, then walk away for a half hour then, come back and spray a second coat..... really isn't a 'Black Art' just needs some practice, trust me (and Nox).

Ian

"cellulose lacquer suspension"
Doesn't that epitomize a high concentration of VOC's?  You don't clean it up with water, do you?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.