Dewoitine D.520 with a twist

Started by Chap, May 16, 2008, 08:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arc3371

I like the idea and the back story, Yugoslavia getting D.520s from Germany in late 1940 as a reward for signing the tripartite pact? And they were fond of mounting the DB 601 on different aircraft (Hurricane, Ik-3)

Chap

Quote from: gooberliberation on May 16, 2008, 11:23:16 PM
Coincidence? :blink:

No coincidence Goober, Squadron Mail Order has the Nanzan on sale for $1.99 so I just had to get one.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It does look very Italian, and the Italians did operate a few Dewoitines. So it seems there are quite a few possibilities for markings.

~Steve

jcf

Looks like a racer or speed record plane to me, with that aft set cockpit.

Jon

puddingwrestler

Well, the italians DID do a lot of speed record stuff...

I think it'd look awesome as a Schnieder trophy contestant on floats... but then I'm going through a float phase and think everything would look good on floats.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

jcf

Doesn't necessarily look Italian, could just as easily be Japanese or a Heinkel.

Kawasaki Ki 78.

The nose profile is largely the result of using an inverted V-12 and if the French had produced a large, inverted V, liquid cooled engine
then it is entirely possible that the Dewoitine fighter would have looked very similar to Chap's model.
Ditto the Hurricane, Spitfire and P-51B/C/D if the Merlin had been an inverted design.

Personally I'd say it looks French with an inverted engine as the canopy, empennage, and wing on the D.520 all look entirely different from anything the Italians produced. What's wrong with simply making it French? Seems to me that it would be a major league Whif and befuddler of the innocent..

Ditch the annular radiator on the Fw 190D and see what you get.

Jon

p.s. just about everybody was doing speed record stuff in the late '30s, in just about any class conceivable.

p.p.s. Of course Polish markings would be fantastic.  ;D

Archibald

MS-406 successor in Finland, Yougoslavia, or Turkey.  :wub:
I like it very much!

Any update ?

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

gooberliberation

How about vichy markings or even luftwaffe?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

peperez

Quote from: Chap on May 16, 2008, 08:12:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here's my first real contribution this summer. It is a Hasegawa Dewoitine D.520 with the cowling from a Tamiya Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan grafted onto it. As you can see from the pictures, it's held together with tape at the moment. There is no real backstory yet, thinking Yugoslavian. As always, all comments and critics are welcome.

~Steve

Believe it or not, before the war France's Armee de l'Air was negotiating the licence to built DB601 engines. By the way, HS12-31 were bigger than Merlin: 40 litter against 30 litter. Unhappily, it was undeveloped. Klimov engines derivatives show how they could performed if rightly developed.

Cheers

Peperez

B777LR

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 18, 2008, 11:07:14 PM
Doesn't necessarily look Italian, could just as easily be Japanese or a Heinkel.

Think youve forgotten one thing, the canopy/ cockpit arangement looks very much like a Macchi (placed very far aft) :thumbsup: The Japanese and Heinkels didnt have that look, with the cockpit placed further forwards. Its not just the inverted engine. The wings look very close too...

jcf

Quote from: B777LR on June 06, 2008, 02:24:17 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 18, 2008, 11:07:14 PM

Think youve forgotten one thing, the canopy/ cockpit arangement looks very much like a Macchi (placed very far aft) :thumbsup: The Japanese and Heinkels didnt have that look, with the cockpit placed further forwards. Its not just the inverted engine. The wings look very close too...

Nothing to do with location, go back and take look a the shape and "sitting on top of the fuselage" placement of the Italian fighter.
Wings are also quite different.

Daryl J.

If this isn't ever sublime!!!!     Fantastichi!!!

Daryl J., rarin' to see more of this

The Rat

That is one sleek looker you've got going there Chap, and should fool quite a few!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: kitbasher on May 17, 2008, 12:48:53 AM
I've always thought French WW2 aircraft uninspiring...

Oh c'mon kb, surely this must inspire you to do something:

(After you've been 'inspired' you might want to disinfect the keyboard)

And let's all welcome Peperez to the madness!  :cheers: :drink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sequoiaranger

Yes, those ugly French bombers DID inspire me!!

I was going to do an "Air Cavalry" aircraft out of one of those Amiot 143 monsters, substituting an HO cattle-car (wooden slates spaced apart) for the lower fuselage, with a sliding door on each side. A contingent of horse-mounted cavalry could thus be delivered directly to the battlefield (never mind how one calms a horse inside an aircraft, especially one that's landing on rough ground!!). My "air cavalry" aircraft would have the "tousenfussler" (spelling?) multiple landing wheels (looking like a Christie tank without treads). I would have Polish markings. I love the dichotomy of AIRCRAFT (modern weapon) delivering horsemen (19th century weapon) to a "modern" battlefield. I was going to make a diorama of the aircraft on the ground, slightly nose-down, with the sliding door open and Airfix OO cavalry charging out with swords drawn!!

I say "was going to do" because I had to pare down my ambitions for my collection, and that was one I purged. Feel free to take up the banner and do it yourself!! I would LOVE to see it done!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sequoiaranger

Your D. 520 now looks more like the Reggiane 2005 than a Macchi. I like it!. The added weight up front for your extended nose might require a slight tail-lengthening to preserve center of balance (making it even more like the Re-2005).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!