Dewoitine D.520 with a twist

Started by Chap, May 16, 2008, 08:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chap

Hi Everyone,

Here's my first real contribution this summer. It is a Hasegawa Dewoitine D.520 with the cowling from a Tamiya Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan grafted onto it. As you can see from the pictures, it's held together with tape at the moment. There is no real backstory yet, thinking Yugoslavian. As always, all comments and critics are welcome.

~Steve

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

Wow is that ever slick. :thumbsup: I am stealing that design. I just saw a D-520 cheap and I got a nose that needs graftin. I hope I can make mine that cool. :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Hotte

Cool !

What engine? DB 605?

Hotte

John Howling Mouse

Alright, what's with these guys who so much as SNEEZE and their dissimilar kit parts melt together this perfectly?

It's not fair!  It's not fair!   :banghead:

Oh, btw, that is sheer aeronautical poetry you've got going with your design there.

It's not fair!  It's not fair!   :banghead:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

gooberliberation

Quote from: Hotte on May 16, 2008, 09:06:18 PM
Cool !

What engine? DB 605?

Hotte

DB 601 aka Aichi Atsuta.

How do I know? I too swiped the motor from a tamiya M6A. (in my case a Seiran)

...that Chap sent me for a SSGB...

Coincidence? :blink:
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

kitbasher

I've always thought French WW2 aircraft uninspiring (sorry French readers), the D520 being no exception (rightly or wrongly I always think of it as a Kestrel-engined sub-Spitfire).  But this looks really sharp.
Any colour scheme ideas yet?  Vichy French camo plus Luftwaffe markings, perhaps - to represent the type being impressed into German service? ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Howard of Effingham

i'm reminded of one of those italian aircraft with a similar engine.

well done so far.  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on May 17, 2008, 01:27:30 AM

Beat me to it Tev -sure looks like it could be a Macchi or Fiat to me. Very nice
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

upnorth

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 17, 2008, 02:14:54 AM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on May 17, 2008, 01:27:30 AM

Beat me to it Tev -sure looks like it could be a Macchi or Fiat to me. Very nice

I'll third that! It has a very distinctly Italian outline to it. I'd say Macchi more than Fiat though.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Brian da Basher

Yowsa that new engine fits like a glove, Chap! My hat's off to you for your vision in coming up with this sweet slick interceptor! Yugoslavian markings sound interesting...I'm imagining it in pre-war Yugoslavian markings and a three-tone camo scheme.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

B777LR

It was only a matter of time before someone said it looked like a Macchi. Ill have to join in there!

puddingwrestler

Most interesting. And devestatingly sleek.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

AeroplaneDriver

I'll join the crowd saying it looks Italian.  VERY sleek looking fighter!   :wub:

How about a post-war racer in red with a prancing horse on the tail?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Following the line that the rest of the lads are following (yes it DOES look very Italian) - You could really turn some heads by painting it sand/smoke rings like the M.202's & 205's.... Or even Finish, Off-black & olive green..... Mmmmmm  :wub:

Hey it's your project, don't let us lot be too peruasive ! :rolleyes:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)