Main Menu

B-36

Started by Sisko, May 21, 2008, 06:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan H.

Great RAF B-36!  :wub: Strangely, that Luftwaffe scheme suits the B-36 also!

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Hawkeye

Can you imagine what would happen if the German's Amerika bomber program could have succeeded and evolved. Would they built something in similar design and size as the B-36? My guess would have been probably, though something with twin vertical stabs//rudders, eight engines in four nacelles with a push pull configuration (which Dornier used frequently), twin main gear concept like th He177.
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

Sisko

Cheers I am glad people liked the build. It was a lot of fun.

I am planning on doing a soviet version sometime in the future. This would require some extensive modifications to the kit which is the reason why it's in the to do list ;D

I am also thinking of using more basic manned turrets and I want to extend the nose glass to be sort of conical.

I have 1/44th scale bear and I am going to use the engines of that to master some new ones.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

rlee61

Quote from: Tuck on June 09, 2008, 12:53:13 PM
Lovely work, mate, but Anti-Flash White is so much....cleaner.... ;D

This is the most beautiful plane I have ever seen. Is that in 1/72 scale?  :bow: :bow:

Sisko

It's the old Monogram kit and it's a monster in 1/72nd.

Hobbycraft kits in 1/144th are big enough. :o

thedarkmaster

QuoteThis is the most beautiful plane I have ever seen. Is that in 1/72 scale? 

must agree, stark and beautiful.

you can't beat anti flash white
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sequoiaranger

Growing up in San Diego, where the Convair plant was, I would see these giants flying occasionally.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

PR19_Kit

When I lived in Oxford, in my teens, I saw them almost every week. The approach path to Brize Norton's main runway went slap over the centre of Oxford and a B-36 went over so slow, and so low, it really did blot out the Sun sometimes! You could hear the drone from MILES away as they turned off base leg and onto the approach.

I only ever saw, and heard, one take-off with the '4 jets burning' as well as the '6 props turning' and that noise was unique, nothing I've heard before or since came close.

When the 'Stick' that undershot the runway at Boscombe Down went in my Dad was part of the recovery crew and I tried like hell to get a ride down there to see it, but his CO wasn't having any of it and I be satisfied with Dad's explanation of its incredible size.

One day I'll finish my 1/72 scale RB-36H/RF-84K FICON, but it won't be this year.... :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rlee61

Quote from: Sisko on June 23, 2009, 12:42:00 AM
It's the old Monogram kit and it's a monster in 1/72nd.

Hobbycraft kits in 1/144th are big enough. :o

Kind of a dumb question, but what kind of white paint did you use? I really want to build this!

Sisko

Sorry but it's not mine. I built the RAF version which features a few pages back.

Tuck posted the pic of it. Given the size of the beast I would have used Auto enamals from a can.

rlee61

Quote from: Sisko on June 01, 2008, 04:58:45 AM

The weathering is kept to a minimum because in this scale it can so very easily be overdone.

Sorry for the confusion, even though I like the anti-flash scheme, I think I would like to build a WWII RAF version like yours. Could you tell me the paints you used on your plane?

Sauragnmon

I gotta admit, the B-36 does look quite wicked... I find myself wondering what it might look like with six Bear Contra-props on the engine mountings...

Still, both are quite magnificent looking Peacemakers.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Sisko

Quote from: rlee61 on June 24, 2009, 03:42:06 PM
Quote from: Sisko on June 01, 2008, 04:58:45 AM

The weathering is kept to a minimum because in this scale it can so very easily be overdone.

Sorry for the confusion, even though I like the anti-flash scheme, I think I would like to build a WWII RAF version like yours. Could you tell me the paints you used on your plane?

Tamiya and Gunze acrylics.

I use these almost exclusively.

Pastels for the weathering.

Sisko

Quote from: Sauragnmon on June 24, 2009, 04:16:29 PM
I gotta admit, the B-36 does look quite wicked... I find myself wondering what it might look like with six Bear Contra-props on the engine mountings...

Still, both are quite magnificent looking Peacemakers.

I planned to build a Soviet copy for the Sovietise it build. I have two 1/144th bear kits and a host of other donors. I planned bear type contra props and tupolev style tail mounted jets I wanted a tupolev style glass nose and simpler turrets.

But in the end I just ran out of time.

Besides I have so many unfinished kits lying around that I really must get them done before I tackle anything else.