Main Menu

B-36

Started by Sisko, May 21, 2008, 06:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sisko

This is the Hobby craft B-36 in 144th. Man I tell you it is big even in this scale! :o

The kit has gone together relatively easily. But I have some advice for anybody planning to build this baby.
Dry fit the components before gluing them together. The kit has a lot of flash and some of the parts mouldings are a bit meh, so serious sanding and scraping will be needed to get a decent fit. Otherwise you will be using a lot of filler.  Especially the wings to the fuselage.

If you do this prior preparation then you will have no problems.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Sisko

This will be wiffed.

Ed S

Looks interesting.  What are the two cutouts and blocks in the upper fuselage?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Sisko

They are the remote controlled gun bays. I will add the guns when the whole thing has been painted.

They are a completly fictional representation of the real thing. :rolleyes:

Ed S

OK. Looks like some BIG guns will fit on this one. I guess that would explain all the clear bubbles around them as well.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kitnut617

All the turrets were equipped with 20mm's Ed. There were 8 turrets (I think) which retracted into the fuselage when not in use, plus the two in the tail. 

Does the kit come with these turrets or are you scratch building them Sisko?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Sisko

The kit comes with the turrets.

The clear domes have the sighting gear that controls them. There is no sighting gear to go behind the domes provided in the kit. I guess 1/144th is a bit small and fiddly. I scratch built something to go behind each dome, just so it looks like something is there.

All hobbycraft give you is a decal. And that doesn't even fit.

Brian da Basher

Man am I excited to see how this comes out. The Hobbycraft B-36 isn't the easiest to build, but it's really ripe for whiffing!

I plan to turn one into an airliner, but I have a feeling yours is going to really rock, Sisko!

Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

Wicked ! That's one cool looking bird so far. Thanks for the tips as well....I've been wanting to get one of those.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Sisko on May 21, 2008, 03:32:30 PM
The kit comes with the turrets.

Neat!  I think I will have to get one to see how the turrets are.  Apart from a Monogram 1/72 B-36 I've got almost built and a whole bunch of parts and conversion to build an XC-99 in 1/72, I picked up a Contrail 1/72 B-36D kit a short while ago.  I had thought it was a conversion but it turned out to be a whole kit, I want to build it with the turrets deployed.

Shasper

Got a GRB-36 that I've been in awe of since I bartered for it some yrs ago. . . dunno if I'll build it OOB or go with my early 'Nam bombtruck idea.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Sisko

I have all three versions that Hobbycraft released. I want to do another Whiffed one as a soviet copy.

I would graft the front end from a tupolev or some other such aircraft to the front and move the aux jets to the tail. I was also going to us the trumpeter 1/44th bear to give me the turbo props but they aren't cheap so the project has gone on the back burner for now.

The Ficon version I want to do as a non whiff.

Not much to show for tonight because I am working on the six props. One of them has an almighty sink mark in it so..........more filler nurse.

Dork the kit slayer

No wonder the original was called the "aluminumn overcast.".........................even in 1:144 that is a big project.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

GTX

Some pics/info on the gun turrets for everyone:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

Brilliant GTX, thanks a bunch. Just what I was looking for.