Hornet FRS.1/FA.2

Started by AeroplaneDriver, May 25, 2008, 12:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I havent built anything in a few months, but the bug started biting this week, so I cracked into theRevellogram Blue Angels F-18 I got this week to start a long-planned project; a Royal Navy Hornet.

No pics yet, but the cockpit is done (except for seat) and the gear bays have been painted.  I'll get some pics up tomorrow as things progress. 

I've been thinking about the backstory for ages, and should have a pretty detailed version to go with the finished product, but obvioiusly it involves the RN staying in the flat-top game post 1976.  It's probably going to go along the lines of trouble with the Tornado ADV in the early 80s combined with a need for the RN to replace Phantoms and Buccs with a more economical single type leads to a situation where the US offers a large batch of F-18s to Britain, to give the RN a multi-role carrier strike fighter, and to give the RAF a capable interceptor (two seaters) to replace the foundering Tornado F.2.  In return the USAF places a large order for Tornado strike aircraft to replace their F-4G 'Wild Weasel' aircraft. 

With the RN jumping on the Hornet bandwagon, France follows with an order for Hornets to equip their carriers, abandoning plans to leave the fledgling FEFA program to pursue an indigenous carrier-capable fighter.

Anyway, that's the condensed version of the backstory.  What I still have to decide is whether to build this Hornet as a mid-80s EDSG machine, or a 2000+ lighter gray version.  I alos need to decide a weapons loadout.  At the moment I'm thinking if I go with a 1980s machine I'll do either 2 X Sea Eagles, go retro with a bunch of Matra rocket pods, or spread a little sunshine with a single WE.177.  If I go with a more current version I'm leaning towards either ALARMs, Paveway IVs, or Storm Shadow.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

lenny100

i would go with the 80s version
A lot more color and a better mix of weapons especially a big bucket of sunshine
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Rafael

If you're doing both....... why not an original 80's version with Matra rocket pods, and, say, a fleet anniversary version with the modern stuff? :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

AeroplaneDriver

Well I got the fuselage together last night, so this morning I masked off the seams to preserve as much of the raised detail as possible and started the PSR marathon that comes with any Monogram kit.  To be honest this one isn't that bad, with the worst areas being the join under the LERX.  The engineering of the kit leaves it with only a few visible seams really.  For some reason every Monogram F-18 seems to have a bad mold mark that runs diagonally from the leading tip of the LERX to the nose, roughly parallel to the seam.  I managed to remove most of this just by shaving it a way with a new blade, so it shouldnt give too much trouble.

Here is a quick pic of the 'pit.  I'm pretty pleased with it for a quick effort.  One area where Monogram really stand out is cockpit detail, and this will likely be an open canopy model, so I wanted some detail, but then again it is an RM kit, so it wont be perfect so I wasnt going to spend endless hours on the office!  The kit seat is nice, but I have a Verlinden resin F-18 seat that I may use instead.  At first glance tt looks like it should fit nicely.

Anyway, more pics later as things progress.

John Howling Mouse

Wow, inspiring.  Reminds that I've really got to put more effort into my own cockpits.    :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Looking good, Aeroman ! Those old Hornets are real gems of kits. Fall together, plenty of parts and detail, and cheap !

I like the earlier idea...but then again, thinking of all those cool modern weapons.......

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Patrick H

outstanding job on the pit. if the rest will be of the same level as I am sure it will, it will be a magnificent hornet.

:thumbsup:

My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

AeroplaneDriver

Nothing new worth posting pics of today, just some PSR work, and tidying up some smaller parts.  Should be ready to start painting by tomorrow evening though.

Eddie M.

That cockpit is sweet! :thumbsup:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on May 25, 2008, 09:37:37 AM
One area where Monogram really stand out is cockpit detail,

Amen, to that, Nick. Long time go when I was young(er) and stupid(er) I would buy Monogram kits that didn't really interest me, just to build/paint the cockpits..... their 105D was a joy !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

AeroplaneDriver

Not as much progress as I hoped today, what with it being Memorial Day.  For some reason the nose didnt fit well, so there was some sanding there, but it's slowly getting closer to being an assembled Hornet!

AeroplaneDriver

Well this one has been sitting for close to a month with no activity, but I have a nice long weekend off, kids are visiting family, wife is at a real estate class all weekend, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get it finished.

I've got most of the assembly done, and since this pic was taken have painted it as an overall Medium Sea Gray Hornet FA.2.  I'm not sure how it will progress from here.  I may add a second shade of gray (either camo gray or ocean gray) and operational markings, or I may do it as an airshow display aircraft with colourful tails and full colour roundels.  If I go with the display aircraft theme the only stores will be AMRAAMS on the intake mounts and wingtip ASRAAMs or AIM-9Ls, but if I go with an operational scheme I'll load it up, adding a centerline tank and either LGBs, ALARMs, or Storm Shadows.

More pics later.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Nick, why not OG & EDSG ? with the MSG it would be next to invisible over the North Sea/North Atlantic..... Just a thought.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

Beauty ! Either way, it'll be great. Did you see the CAF D-Day scheme ? There's a decal review over on ARC. That looks really sweet on a Hornet.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sotoolslinger

The office , gorgeous :wub: I'm with JHM , I should really stop effin off on my cockpits but I get in a hurry to do the outside :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Really not fair to the model , Matrixone paints stuff that goes behind other stuff. I really envy you folk that have that much dedication to not half arse your builds :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland