Hornet FRS.1/FA.2

Started by AeroplaneDriver, May 25, 2008, 12:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Here's the Medium Sea Gray coat on and the radome painted.  Still not sure what other colours (if any) to use.  I'm thinking of just doing the spine in Ocean Gray  I was also thinking of doing the tails white with large red diamonds to represent an 806 Sqn display plane, but I'm not sure how it would look with the formation light running through the middle of it.  I may sleep on it.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on June 20, 2008, 08:28:37 PM
Here's the Medium Sea Gray coat on and the radome painted.  Still not sure what other colours (if any) to use.  I'm thinking of just doing the spine in Ocean Gray  I was also thinking of doing the tails white with large red diamonds to represent an 806 Sqn display plane, but I'm not sure how it would look with the formation light running through the middle of it.  I may sleep on it.

Did you, um, forget something (the image)?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 20, 2008, 08:48:13 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on June 20, 2008, 08:28:37 PM

Did you, um, forget something (the image)?

Hi, my name is nick and I'm a moron!   :banghead:

Taiidantomcat

nailed the subtle grays, good job! :thumbsup:

Ben
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

AeroplaneDriver

Last one for tonight, spine painted Ocean Gray.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

K5054NZ

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh very swish camo Nick! I'm rarely one for - as Brian and Tom say - pointy jet things, but for this I make an exception. Very nice!

BlackOps

AD, I think you can make anything look good, even grey!  ;D 

I envy your crisp paintwork!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

AeroplaneDriver

Well, most of the decals are on and some detail painting is underway.  Hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow before having to go back to work on Tuesday. 

A couple of pics tonight showing progress.  I went with dark roundels and 890 NAS markings from Xtradecal's superb 1/72 Sea Vixen sheet.  Since sqn. markings have become smaller over the years they work ok in 1/48 on the Hornet.  I'm probably going to go with a "Q" tail code for HMS Queen Elizabeth.  Depending on how the backstory develops this HMS QE will either be CVA 01 or a late 70s class to replace Ark & Eagle.

More tomorrow!

ysi_maniac

Highest quality modelling :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

entlim

You have hitted me with a black box- I'm not playing this game!.........

Captain Canada

Geez....how come every colur and scheme you pick looks perfect ?

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Quick update for tonight.  I ended up getting busy with other stuff today, so it's not finished as hoped, but it is getting closer.  I did a little weathering with a thin wash.  Even though most of the panel lines are raised I still like hte way a dark wash gives it some depth.  It's got a coat of Tamiya flat clear on too.  Next is the gear and weapons fit.  After I post this I'll do a wash on the gear and finish painting the AMRAAMs. 

I'm going with a fit of centerline tank (in RAF gray/green as an example of how closely RAF and RN Hornets operate), wingtip ASRAAMs and AMRAAMs on the intakes.  Still undecided about the rest of the fit, but the ASRAAMs will put it post-98, so maybe a Kosovo campaign fit of ALARM, LGBs, or maybe even AGM-65s, giving the UK a slightly earlier Maverick capability.  Making it a '99 Kosovo machine also makes it plausible for some RAF tanks to still be in camo instead of allover gray.

Anyhoo...on to tonights pics:

Eddie M.

Outstanding work. The weathering looks just right. :thumbsup: :cheers:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Scooterman

That color scheme is PERFECT! :thumbsup:

Can I borrow that whenever I get to my RN F-18F ApD?