Main Menu

IDF J10

Started by Gary, May 25, 2008, 10:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Soon after the cancellation of the Lavi fighter in Israel, members of the military decided that the single supplier dependance that had existed for Israel could no longer exist. They had been building armour and had tried aircraft, however some believed that intervention from the current suppliers would never allow Israel to become totally dependent. Secretly these members of the military began discussions with several nations who made advanced weapons systems including England, Russia and Western Wingdingo. As China began to flex its military industrial might, they too were approached. Eventually the Israel Aircraft Industries began rebuilding MiG 21's including the Chinese version and these upgraded aircraft were astonishing to many of the countries receiving them. The blistering speed of the Migs now matched with superior avionics impressed the world. China began to ask questions about the Lavi and a deal began to be formed.
The J-10 New Chinese fighter program began with a head start, albeit some twenty years old. A lot of the data from the Lavi aerodynamics proved useful but only in theory, teaching the Chinese about advanced unstable designs. In return, Israel would get 30 early production J-10's and could license build their version, the J-10A, with their avionics, radar and weapons systems. Israel would also be permitted to tap Western markets with their version. China would make a percentage on whatever version and they were more than happy to go along with this. They were already in production of a fighter to take on the F-22 and the advanced Superflankers.

the model, Trumpeters Chinese "New Fighter" in 72nd scale, with IsraDecal decals for F-16, a resin bang seat for a Flanker and a sense of smug satisfaction for finally finishing a model in over a year.

Getting back into modeling

Captain Canada

The pics aren't working ! The pics aren't working !

Congrats on finally finishing something, Gary....but,

The pics aren't working !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

Sorry, should be working now.

Rafael

Gary, your backstory settles once and for all the discussion about the J-10 hebrew origins. An gives the aircraft mor personality than it already has.

Great job on the camo, BTW :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Patrick H

wow, Looks great in those colors. Good job

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

Mike Wren

great model  :wub: I had exactly the same idea for an Israeli J-10 just last week!  ;D

John Howling Mouse

This is great stuff, Gary----you wield a mighty fine airbrush there!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac

Nice model indeed :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Gary

Thanks guys. Comming from the talent base here, I take this as large praise. I was kinda surprized that with all the political grumbling about the supposed like between the J-10 and the Lavi, no one did one up before now. I had this started nearly 2 years ago.
I've had more than my troubles with airbrushing lately. The matt varnish silvered the decals and pooled like mad. This kit was painted prior to my seperation and I haven't had a place to paint since.
The kit is sweet. I got 4 out of a dealer in Hong Kong who was honest enough to honour his E-bay bids. I got each for 1 dollar. Shipping was only 5 bucks. The guy was totally honest. I wish I could remember who he was.
If you have one, watch out for the front landing gear doors and bay. It's a very very tricky fit to get it all in the one hole.

Thanks again.

anthonyp

Nice one, Gary!

Looks really nice airbrushed (I did mine with hand brushes, and no matter how nice I think mine looks, I like your's better).

I've built four of these J-10's as well, and I agree that the front gear are a bit of a pain.  The rear ones are a bit flimsy as well, but not as tricky to get together as the front ones.

Funny coincidence with the posting of this model:  Janes.com has an article on the Israeli/Chinese cooperation where the J-10 and Lavi are concerned.  Read the non-subscriber excerpt here.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

nev

Looks terrific Gary, and a very plausible back-story to boot  :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

Quote from: anthonyp on May 26, 2008, 07:58:09 AM
Janes.com has an article on the Israeli/Chinese cooperation where the J-10 and Lavi are concerned.  Read the non-subscriber excerpt here.

I have been allways sure about this conection.
Will die without understanding this world.

Captain Canada

Sweet ! Nice work, Gary...You've added one of the all-time beauty camos to one sexy aeroplane....and they look great together. Like the story as well. Great stuff.

I had mine ( the Crimbo prezzie ) almost done, and lo-and-behold.....my stinking kids broke the landing gear off her and pieces are now mising. Darn kids....

Thanks for posting !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

noxioux

Great build Gary!  I too wonder why this hadn't been done before due to the lavi/j-10 link.

It does suck not having a place to work!  I feel your pain!