RAF/RN Vigilant R.1

Started by Hobbes, May 27, 2008, 05:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

By the late 1960s, the Royal Navy felt that its Buccaneers would be too vulnerable in the reconnaisance role. A faster aircraft was needed. The British industry did not have a suitable type available, and considering the small number of airframes that would be purchased, developing a new aircraft was out of the question.
The RAF requirement for a fast tactical reconnaisance platform was also still on the table, with TSR.2 being cancelled and its successor not faring much better.
The RAF and RN soon settled on buying the North American RA-5C Vigilante and operating them in a joint squadron.

4 Sqn was being dismantled at the time, and with their tactical reconnaisance role they were a natural fit for the Vigilant. It also wouldn't be the first time 4 Sqn deployed aboard an aircraft carrier...
Soon, 4 Sqn was reformed with 16 aircraft. Usually 3 aircraft would be detached to any aircraft carrier on operation, and similar detachments were available to RAF hotspots.  
The type continued in service until 1980, when the USN decision to decommission theirs meant that continuing to support the aircraft would become too expensive.  

The kit is an Otaki 1:144, with decals from the Xtradecal Hunters sheet.

Maverick

Nice clean build, especially given the scale.  Brilliant backstory to boot, although there will be some that will mention the size of a carrier needed.

The markings choice is a little odd though.  4 Sqn for an RN bird, but then I guess their squadron markings are fairly distinctive.

Regards,

Mav

cthulhu77

Now, we expect you to build a 1/144 carrier for it !  Nice stuff !

Hobbes

I used those markings just because I liked them  :ph34r: (and because the kit decals were too crap to use).

The 1:144 carrier is something I've been dreaming about, but to be honest, life's too short.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Captain Canada

Nice one, Hobbes ! That is a sexy little beast. Sounds like there are alot more 144th scale birds out there than I know of !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

Well, yes and no. This one's old and not available anymore (got it in a kit swap with Glenn); OTOH via the SmallscaleModels mailing list I know several people who do small-scale production of resin kits of loads of obscure subjects.

upnorth

Nice model and maybe you can make up some back story about 4 Sqn. being seconded into temporary naval service somehow.

I remember building that kit when Revell reisued it in the mid 80s. A very nice piece of 1/144 aircraft model given what was available at the time. Even looked good next to the Dragon 1/144 kits that everyone was drooling over back then. If the moulds are still around I hope someone will have the decency to reissue them.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Hobbes

You're right, it is a nice kit. A bit basic (no cockpit), but it went together well (hardly any filler needed).

Rafael

I would have loved to see one of those beauties on a brit carrier :wub: :wub: :wub:

Excellent idea!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Gary

What  a sweetie. I'd like to see one with the cammo the Bucc used to wear too. Nifty.
Getting back into modeling

bexwh773

Hi ya Hobbes, I like it  :thumbsup:  The name is so simple, why didnt I think of that with mine  :banghead:  DOne a really cracking job  :bow:

Bexy
Becky aka Bex

Hobbes

Quote from: Maverick on May 27, 2008, 05:49:26 AM

The markings choice is a little odd though.  4 Sqn for an RN bird, but then I guess their squadron markings are fairly distinctive.

You're right, I've modified the backstory a bit. Turns out 4 Sqn wasn't a bad choice (especially since I picked it at random).

Maverick

Nicely done Hobbes.  Quite an interesting 'composite' idea.  Well thought out and gives the RN something to crow over the RAF with, I guess, having to teach them how to land on a carrier!

Regards,

Mav