DC-3, C-47, Dakota, and all license built or copies

Started by GTX, November 26, 2007, 10:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

While Wikipedia is not always the best resource for facts and such they do help with compiling pertinent details and information on some subjects that helps.  The sheer number of aircraft designations associated with the Douglas DC-3 is astounding and Wikipedia has attempted to list the majority of those known here is the link for the Wikipedia entry for the Douglas C-47 family of aircraft
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

How about a Hump Buster C-47 with extra power:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GTX on March 27, 2010, 02:29:17 PM
How about a Hump Buster C-47 with extra power:

I'm only surprised they didn't do it for real! It surely wouldn't have been THAT difficult.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dragon

Why only three blades on the props and not 5 or 6 blades with a turboprop engine on each wing?
Perhaps a cannon and machinegun nose arrangement similar to a B-25J attached to a FANTASMA- call it an upgraded FANTASMA call it SAYONA (a particular wraith like spook known all over Latin America) or LA PELONA (the bald lady- as sometimes the angel of death is called in parts of Latin America)
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Daryl J.

That Super DC-3 makes me wonder a bit about an AC-Super 47.   

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 27, 2010, 08:45:19 PM
That Super DC-3 makes me wonder a bit about an AC-Super 47.   

The Super DC-3 was used by the USN/USMC as the R4D-8, with the 1962 US service designation standardization
they became the C-117D.

So perhaps a USMC AC-117D?  ;D

Daryl J.

What type of turbines are those above?   That, and when did they go into production?   

TIA,
Daryl J., with a Monogram AC-47 in the stash. 

apophenia

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 28, 2010, 03:20:50 PM
What type of turbines are those above?   That, and when did they go into production?

They're all variations on the  PT6A. The PT6A-6 was in full production model by 1963 but only generated 580 shp. These conversions all use 'large' PT6s (Conroy Tri-Turbo Three 3 x PT6A-45As, Basler BT-67 and similar conversions 2 x PT6A-67s) which originated in the mid-'70s.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 28, 2010, 03:20:50 PMWhat type of turbines are those above?   That, and when did they go into production?   

TIA,

Basler Turbo Conversions LLC
255 West 35th Ave.
PO Box 2305
Oshkosh, WI 54903-2305

Basler BT-67 is a rebuilt to zero time C-47/DC-3 airframe with a fuselage plug added just behind the flight station to increase payload capacity.  Powered by  PT6A-67R Turboprop engines from Pratt & Whitney Canada and 5-blade metal propellers from Hartzell.  There was or is still a company based in Waco, Texas that offers a similar re-manufacturing program for the C-47/DC-3 using Garrett turbines instead of the P&W Canada PT6.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

famvburg

My bet is the fuselage plug is for CG purposes since the PT-6s are quite a bit lighter than the R-1830s. It had a side effect of increasing capacity.

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on March 28, 2010, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: Daryl J. on March 28, 2010, 03:20:50 PMWhat type of turbines are those above?   That, and when did they go into production?   

TIA,

Basler Turbo Conversions LLC
255 West 35th Ave.
PO Box 2305
Oshkosh, WI 54903-2305

Basler BT-67 is a rebuilt to zero time C-47/DC-3 airframe with a fuselage plug added just behind the flight station to increase payload capacity.  Powered by  PT6A-67R Turboprop engines from Pratt & Whitney Canada and 5-blade metal propellers from Hartzell.  There was or is still a company based in Waco, Texas that offers a similar re-manufacturing program for the C-47/DC-3 using Garrett turbines instead of the P&W Canada PT6.