DC-3, C-47, Dakota, and all license built or copies

Started by GTX, November 26, 2007, 10:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 02, 2010, 04:25:51 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on April 02, 2010, 04:00:44 AM
No, classics doesn't appear to be one of your "string" points.  They were named after Ancient generals/commanders.

Works for me, but then I can tune a 3-stage servo-valve and I bet Hengist couldn't.......... -_-

Well, you're doing better than me as well.  I can though tune a Unix server...    :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

famvburg

The last time I saw a pic of it, or one if there are others, it was 20 odd years ago & was painted like the Space Shuttle.

Quote from: tigercat on April 02, 2010, 03:37:15 AM
I can't find the picture anymore but someone took the front of a DC 3 fuselage and stuck wheels on each corner and turned it into a van/bus

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 02, 2010, 10:32:00 PM
Mike West, who is Lonestar Models, posts regularly on Hyperscale and has indicated that he is releasing a firebomber version of the F-15A,
in both 1/48th and 1/72nd.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1276833548/More+fire+bomber+aircraft+on+the+way
Quote from: GTX on July 03, 2010, 12:46:40 PM
Thanks guys!

His planned Bassler BT-67 conversion for the C-47 also sounds tasty!

Regards,

Greg

From the comments in the link provided by Jon:
Quotehttp://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1276833548/More+fire+bomber+aircraft+on+the+way

Next year the Bassler BT-67 conversion for the C-47 will be available in both 1/72 and 1/48."

Nice to see someone taking this on. Wonder if he will be including the fuselage plug for the conversion or an entire fuselage? 

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

raafif

I will get one of the Basler conversions when avail too -- will probably do it as a gunship but prefer the tri-motor version.  I note that the Sth American turbo dak uses different engines & has a flat "ramp" shape behind the engines with twin exhaust stacks sticking up.

Currently re-drawing a Russian Dak with glazed bomber-nose, bombay & twin-tail.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

tahsin

Haven't read the whole thread but ı know a glider version was planned . Are there any illustrations of that project ?

redstar72

tahsin
The glider version wasn't only planned, it was actually built and tested under designation XCG-17. You can see some photos here: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/glider/xcg17.html.
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

tahsin

Thanks , for the info and the link . Though I would have supposed the engine pods would have been eliminated alltogether . Anyhow , my basic idea was putting one or two of these Skywagons behind a Skytrain .

royabulgaf

An interesting thought, that occured with mention of the engine nacelles remaining.  As gliders are for the most part single-use, could the CG-17 program be a way to use worn out C-47s?  A new build CG-17 would seem to be quite expensive compared to CG-4, with no real advantage.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

rickshaw

Quote from: royabulgaf on July 09, 2010, 04:59:42 PM
An interesting thought, that occured with mention of the engine nacelles remaining.  As gliders are for the most part single-use, could the CG-17 program be a way to use worn out C-47s?  A new build CG-17 would seem to be quite expensive compared to CG-4, with no real advantage.

Apart from increased cargo capacity and improved range while under tow.  The C-47 was a significantly better flyer than most other gliders?  Remember, the the CG-17 was designed for cargo carrying not assault purposes.  It was intended to be a means of increasing capacity over "the hump", not to carry troops or material into an LZ.

raafif

A former civil PS-84 (licence-built DC-3) built by Gaz it was converted to a Li-2 in 1942 then to a Li-2VV Bomber with twin fins in 1943 at the Pet. factory.
The Li-2 was given the NATO name "Cab" but the Soviet Lisunov Li-2VV Bomber version was named "Parrotbeak".
It incorporated a glazed nose with defensive mg, upper turret and bombay with doors.  The ground attack / tank-busting version was another major conversion ....

rickshaw

Interesting.  One assumes the size of bomb that could be carried internally was limited by the problem of the mainspar, like the B-17s was?  Did they stow them horizontally or vertically, like the He111?

raafif

Rickshaw -- I didn't think of that problem until after I added the twin-fins. Probably the small to medium size Russian bombs.
I'll tell you once I've spoken to my man in Qantas who use to repair the DC-3s in Papua (mostly replacing corroded spars after horses & pigs **** on them).

Will try & get 2 Italeri kits to do this & a Tank-Buster version in plastic.

jcf