Grumman TBF and General Motors TBM Avenger

Started by nev, May 17, 2005, 11:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinUnNombre

Hey guys. In correlation to my recent Turboprop P-47 thread, its time to breathe new life into the CAS Avenger project. With my search for a turboprop for the P-47 coming up, well, disapointing, I'm thinking of just sticking with an air-cooled radial, but using an R-3350. Now, he only 3350 I've currently got is part of my Avenger kitbash, but I was wanting some input on an idea I've been rolling around in my head for a few minutes. What if I took the 3350 for the P-47, then used either a Double Mamba or T-31 turboprop on the Avenger? Since its destined for an older theater and I'm not as concerned with keeping it looking pretty, I think that it would work, and solve my issues. What do you guys think?

Jon

jcf

R-2600-20
TBF-3, TBM-3
Diameter: 54.09"
Length: 66.08"
Weight: 2,045 lbs

R-3350-26WA
AD-2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Diameter: 55.62"
Length: 80.81"
Weight: 2,848 lbs

R-3350-26WB
AD-7
Diameter: 55.62"
Length: 81.23"
Weight: 2,953 lbs

Another turret option is that of the Douglas A/B-26, I test fit one from the Monogram 1/48th into a Accurate Miniatures TBF... loads of room.
Mount the gunners seat, facing aft and the gun control parts between the turret and the pilots seat in the Avenger.

Cheers, Jon

royabulgaf

Since you want to use 20mm cannon, perhaps bag the Avenger and go with a COIN Helldiver?  Their wings were set up to handle 20mms, and the A-25 variant was modified for land-based use with a more suitable landing gear.  

Kim M
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Jeffry Fontaine

After seeing the images and general arrangement drawing of the Columbia XLJ-1 that Jon provided in two topics

Links to both topics:

Turbo-Loening http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,15599.0/highlight,columbia.html
F6F Hellcat WHIF Ideas http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17681.15.html 

I could not help but notice how much that aircraft looked like a kit bash between the Grumman Avenger and Duck.  So I was wondering what that would look like?  No chance of a Duck being merged with an Avenger in the same scale so maybe a scale-o-rama would be necessary.  Using a 1/72nd scale Avenger and a 1/48th scale Duck to create an amphibian Avenger.  Obviously the bomb bay would be lost in the conversion but you would end up with a rather largish amphibian cargo and passenger aircraft that could have filled a niche in general aviation around the world.  Some possible civilian uses could be as a water bomber or a bush plane operating a passenger and cargo service to the remote reaches of the Pacific North West, Aleutian Islands, and the Artic where landing on a lake or the ocean would be the only option. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

GTX

QuoteI could not help but notice how much that aircraft looked like a kit bash between the Grumman Avenger and Duck.  So I was wondering what that would look like?  No chance of a Duck being merged with an Avenger in the same scale so maybe a scale-o-rama would be necessary.

Maybe a little like this perhaps:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Some real world Avenger mods.

The Yehudi lights reduced the detection range from 12 miles to 2 miles and would probably have been very effective in ASW warfare.

The single-seat conversion was made to evaluate the possible performance gains of the single-seat modification.

The two-gun turret installation was found to have a lower effective rate of fire than the standard single-gun installation as firing had to be interrupted twice as often to avoid hitting the tail surfaces.

Jon

GTX

My own interpretation of a developed single seat Avenger:

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

jcf

Another single-seater, this time a modified TBM-3 (BuNo. 69465) with a new canopy design.

Jon

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 07, 2008, 02:38:42 PM
Some real world Avenger mods.

The single-seat conversion was made to evaluate the possible performance gains of the single-seat modification.

Jon

On a trip to Fort St.John (north east corner of British Columbia) some years ago, I past an airfield somewhere in the vicinity of Dawson Creek and Grande Prairie.  I saw an Avenger which had been modified like that Jon, it was being used as a bush plane or fire bomber, couldn't tell very well from the highway.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ysi_maniac

Turbo Avenger French (Alizé) and British (Gannet) style

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Now I like those, especially the two on the left hand side  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

For my tastes it runs;
1. Gannet-engined Avenger;
2. Alizé-engined Avenger, right on its tail;
3. Gannet-ised Avenger, right on its tail; &
4. Alizé-ised Avenger falling behind quite rapidly.

It'd fair hum along with the twin Mambas! :thumbsup: ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est