Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 build thread

Started by matrixone, May 29, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

matrixone

Thanks sotoolslinger!

Here is what the Fw 190A-10 looks like right now...most of the small parts are on it and the process of weathering can begin. The next time you see this model it will look very 'used'.

The prop blades have been weathered, I wanted then to have a faded color/dirty look to them. Most of this weathering was done with the airbrush.

Below is an in-progress look at my 1/48 scale Tamiya jeep and figure set, these will be used in the background of some of the pics of the A-10.

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

The prop blades have been weathered, I wanted then to have a faded color/dirty look to them. Most of this weathering was done with the airbrush.
See now that is why you are one of the MASTERS .....and why I hate you
I amuse me.

matrixone

Thanks once again sotoolslinger...I think! ;D

I just did the first phase of the weathering process by mixing up some dirt colored model paints and with a fine detail brush added some mud splatters on the rear of the aircraft, when that was done I dry brushed the same color of paint over the mud splatters. This takes a while to do because while doing this you must keep looking at your reference photographs to avoid going overboard with the weathering, it is way too easy to go too far and ruin the effect you are trying to get. Some of the reference photographs I am using are of the Fw 190s of II./ JG 6 that were flown to Furth Germany to surrender to American forces in May 1945, these aircraft were extremely dirty.

I don't have any in-progress pics to show yet, maybe later today.

Matrixone

ysi_maniac

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 02, 2010, 07:03:25 PM

See now that is why you are one of the MASTERS .....and why I hate you

I hate him too! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

BTW, is spiral in spinner a decal or painted? Perfect anyway!
Will die without understanding this world.

matrixone

Thanks very much ysi_maniac!

The spinner spiral is painted on, the spinner was painted white and then masked off before spraying it with gloss black.
I have not tried using decals for the spinner spirals yet.

Below is a pic of the Fw 190 with the mud splatters on the rear of the fuselage and tail, it looks a little too light to me in this test pic and I have since added more mud splatters, I will be using my airbrush to add the rest of the ''dirt'' and don't want the mud splatters to be completly covered up.

The next step in weathering on the Fw 190 will be adding some paint chipping and worn off paint on the wing roots.

No, not a bad accident, this pic shows the jeep during its weathering process, I weathered the wheels seperately from the body...I have to airbrush the underside of the jeep before I can add the wheels. The little jeep might be finished today.

Matrixone

matrixone

More in-progress pics...

I did more mud splatters on the tail of the aircraft, this time they are a bit heavier and show up better in the pics. I don't like to do them this heavy but I must do this to make sure they can still be seen after I airbrush on the dirt color.
I also added some paint chipping but it does not show very well in these pics, the gloss on the surface of the model prevents them from showing up when its in the sunlight.

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

And once again I have to quit modeling :blink: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.

matrixone

Thanks for looking sotoolslinger,

After looking at these last pics I decided that the dry brushing on the leading edge of the right wing was overdone, I used a paper towel with a drop of thinner on it to wipe away some of dry brushed paint, it looks much better now.
Next up for this model is some airbrush work and then some oil paints on the underside of the fuselage to represent oil leaks and muddy water having been splashed on the rear of the fuselage.

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

Wow is it a treat to see you finishing up another Fw 190, Matrixone! You achieve a level of realism that's so convincing I expect to see your work featured as the "real deal" in one of those "In Action" reference books. I'm especially impressed with your weathering which always looks just right to my eye. The spiral on the prop spinner is another testament to your incredible skill. Can you share your secret?
:bow: :bow:
Bowled over as always,
Brian da Basher

matrixone

Thanks very much Brian!

Sorry, there is no secret to painting the spinner spiral, it was first painted flat white and after the paint was fully dry I cut VERY thin strips of Tamiya tape to mask off where I wanted the spiral to be and sprayed on gloss black.

I did a test fit of all the parts (prop, wheels, and canopy) on the model and it looks okay but will look much better when all the different stages of weathering are finished. Can't wait until this next weekend to start using the oil paints on it! Painting on oil stains around the engine is a lot of fun to do. Lucky for me German aero engines were messy and leaked a lot. ;D

Matrixone

wolfik

looks awesome but...the A/F-10 (should) have the wheels from the Ta fighter and then the enlarged wheels bays.
like in the drawing you posted here.

matrixone

Thanks wolfik! I am not sure if the A/F-10 would have used the Ta 152 wheels...there is conflicting information about the A-10 version, one source mentioned it would have used thicker tires for the mainwheels and that is why I made the wheels a little thicker on my model. If I would have had some Ta 152 wheels in 1/32 scale available I would have used them, they would have been a better choice than using the kits wheels.

My model will not be a true Fw 190A-10, I have planned all along for this to be a hybred 190...one that was supposed to an A-10 but because of the worsening war situation it was cobbled together using whatever parts could be supplied to the aircraft assembly shops to get aircraft to the frontline...makes for an interesting what-if/coulda been. ;D

Matrixone

pyro-manic

Superb as always, Matrix! It really is a pleasure to watch one of your builds come together. :bow:

As a 190 fanatic, what do you think of my "Emil" version?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

matrixone

Thanks pyro-maniac,

Your ''Emil'' version of the Fw 190 makes it look even more sleek than usual, great model and what-if idea!

More pics of my model should be posted later today, the oil paints are drying right now and can't touch the model for a little while.

Matrixone