Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 build thread

Started by matrixone, May 29, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

I admire your willingness to go the exta mile on your projects. As always I look forward to watching a Master at work. Bravo Zulu! :thumbsup:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

matrixone

Thanks Eddie!

Here are a couple more in progress pics, I painted the wheel well with Alclad II aluminium the other day and added some light weathering to it this morning. The engine was also painted and assembled this morning, if anyone builds this Hasegawa Fw 190A-8 kit don't worry too much about if the engine is detail painted or not because once the engine is placed inside the cowl and the engine cooling fan and prop are in place very little of it can be seen. I painted mine just for some practice while waiting for some parts to dry.

I will be gluing the tail to the fuselage later today and maybe finish building the wings too. The rest of this kit is very easy to build, the engine cowling can be a little fussy to put together but still not anything as bad as some of the kits I have built made by Dragon.

Matrixone

GTX

QuoteI painted mine just for some practice

You need practice?? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

matrixone

Thank you Greg,

I don't care too much about detail painting the parts on my models that won't be seen after its finished but this engine was easy to paint and good dry-brushing practice, I could not resist! ;D

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Gives you a lovely warm feeling when it comes out that well doesn't it  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

That engine looks absolutely top-notch Matrixone! I never cease to be impressed with your painting skills!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Just typical your painting that won't be seen is better than my exteriors :banghead: :banghead: I'm glad the mods gave me my ID line :thumbsup: :wub: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

matrixone

Thanks guys!

I wanted this engine to be seen now because once the engine is inside the cowl and the cooling fan and propeller are installed on the finished model almost nothing can be seen of it! :blink:

At least the wheel well can be seen on the finished model so at least the trouble I went through to paint and weather it was time well spent. ;D
I am working on the flaps now, there should be some in-progress pics next weekend. Also something that I will try and do is to slightly widen the mainwheels, the A-10 was to have tires that were a bit thicker than those used on the Fw 190A-8 and I will add a plastic spacer between the two wheel halves to copy this feature on my model.

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

And in addition to all my praise I must add that you are a freak ;D :party:
I amuse me.

matrixone

I have been called worse things!!! ;D I went through a divorce 10 years ago and I remember being called all kinds of things....ah, those were the days. :lol:

Matrixone

matrixone

Here are a few more in-progress pics...

In this pic you can see the lower wing half and one of the landing gear legs, if you look closely you can see the broken off mounting lug of the landing gear leg still stuck inside the wing. As I was test fitting the landing gear legs into the wing I found that they were very tight and when I attempted to remove one of them it snapped off. >:(

Here are the tires after I added the spacers to widen them a bit. Also in this shot are the horizontal stabs and the re-worked flaps. I spent some extra time sanding down the rib detail on the elevators, the kit has the rib detail a little heavy for my taste. The flaps had the mounting tabs changed on them to prevent them from hanging too far down, Hasegawa did not do a very good research job on the Fw 190 flaps and if you build the model as is it is out of the box it will be wrong.

This pic shows the big Ta 152 style tail after it has been attached to the fuselage, I needed a little Mr. Surfacer to blend the parts together and after some light sanding I rescribed some of the panel lines.
I know it looks a little rough in this pic but after some primer and paint the tail to fuselage join will look okay.

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

Wonderful ;D what an excellent teacher to have access to :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.

matrixone

Thanks sotoolslinger,

This weekend I expect to get much of the airframe built so it will at least look like a Focke-Wulf, this build is taking a while to get going because I want this one to have a high quality finish on it and all the seam lines are getting more attention paid to them than I usually do on my models.

I am still not sure if this one will get a 4 or a 3 blade prop.

BTW, the red patches on the engine cowling are glazing putty, I needed to fill in a few of the latches for the late war version I am building, the extra latches were meant for the A-5 varient.

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

That's some nice work, Matrixone! It's a real treat to see how the magic happens. I especially like what you said about the new tail. It's good to keep in mind how layers of paint can help blend things in and save some work.

I vote for the four bladed prop! That will give this beauty just that little extra bit of whiffy goodness.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher