Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 build thread

Started by matrixone, May 29, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks for looking Brian!

Yes the 4 blade prop would really make this a very different Focke-Wulf, the ONLY downside to that idea is the time it would take to alter the spinner and backplate, also I have not worked with Milliput before and I would need to use the stuff for the modification to the spinner and am reluctant to risk such an expensive project on an untried product.
If I can get some extra prop blades from a 1/32 scale Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 kit I might go with the 3 bladed prop, I will see what I can come up with in the next few weeks.

Matrixone

matrixone

I have not been doing much work on my models the last few weeks but I am back at the workbench now.

Two weeks ago somebody from ARC sent me some wide chord prop blades from a Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 kit and I now have the right kind of propeller for my model.
Below is a pic of the props, the wooden paddle blade prop on the left, the standard sized Fw 190A-8 metal prop on the right.

In this pic the basic airframe is built, almost ready for paint. Also the mainwheels are painted now, the tires have yet to be weathered and will get muddied up.

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

I'd wondered where you were at on this bird, Matrixone. It's great to see you post an update and those wheels certainly look the Real McCoy!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

matrixone

Thanks Brian,

Not much to see so far on this build, things will get more interesting when I start painting this model.
I will try and paint the fuselage crosses on instead of using decals, I want to try and copy some of the late war Fw 190D-9s that had roughly sprayed on national markings.

This week I will order a new airbrush, an Iwata Revolution BR, I have heard so many good things about it that I can't wait to try it out! According to the experts my paint jobs will improve a great deal, I always wondered what I was doing wrong...I had the wrong type of airbrush, a Badger 150. ;D

Matrixone

BlackOps

I've somehow missed the progress on this one, lookin' good, Beautiful weathering in the wheeel wells  :bow:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

matrixone

Thanks Jeff!

I am looking forward to weathering this model, what I learned in weathering my Monogram Stuka and Bf 109G-10 will come in handy when I do the weathering process on this model.

Matrixone

matrixone

Hello to all:

Not too much modeling done lately, but I have a few pics to show you...a little weathering done to the mainwheels and the tail wheel unit. Prop blades are also re-shaped and painted now. Not shown is the spinner and landing gear legs and landing gear doors, they are also painted and weathered as needed.

The wheels look over weathered at this stage but after the final flat coat is put on them they will look much better then.

This final pic has nothing to do with the Fw 190A-10 build, I was just taking some practice pics with my brand new camera (FujiFilm Finepix S8100), I like the camera but am having issues getting it to upload the pictures into my computer as easy as my old camera did.
This Opel Blitz truck is a 21st Century Toys 1/32 scale model, the Fw 190 tail in the back of the truck is the one I cut off the Fw 190A-8 fuselage at the start of this build, I am using it as painting practice.

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

Always cool to see your stuff ;D Your detailing is always top shelf :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

I really like your work on those tires, Matrixone! They certainly look like the genuine article! Care to give us a "peek behind the curtain" and share your technique with us?
Brian da Basher

matrixone

Thanks sotoolslinger and Brian!

Brian,
I painted the wheels by first painting the hub gloss black and after the paint dried I drybrushed some silver paint over the raised details to make it look like the black paint had been weathered a bit. Then I painted the tires with a custom hand mixed color I use for painting tires (Testors ''Rubber'' colored paint with some light gray added to it), after the paint had dried I gave the wheels a coat of clear gloss and then mixed up some oil paint colors to get a muddy looking color and added a thin oil wash to the tires and slightly streaked some of the wash on the tires to give the illusion muddy water being flung off the tire as it was spinning during take off and landing.

The tires may look overweathered right now but they will match the weathering I plan to add to this model which will be an aircraft that had seen action on the Eastern front. To get an idea of the kind of look I want for my model check out pictures of some of the Fw 190D-9s that flew to Furth Germany on May 8th 1945 and surrendered to American forces...they were filthy with a lot of dirt and mud splattered on the fuselage sides and one aircraft (W.Nr. 211934) clearly shows mud caked over the wheel hub and tire.

HTH

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

Thank you for sharing your technique with us, Matrixone. I'm not sure how it will work in smaller scales, but the next time I have tires with some detail to them, I'll give it a try!
Brian da Basher

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep, enjoying this Mx1..... keep the pics coming.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

matrixone

Thanks for looking Ian,

Sunday I will take some new W.I.P. pics, it will be a good excuse to get some more practice with my new camera.

Matrixone

matrixone

A few more W.I.P. pics of my A-10 project.

The inside of the landing gear doors...they still have more weathering that will be done to them to blend in the shaded areas.

Here is the spinner after painting the b/w spiral. (sorry about the blurry pic, I am still getting used to my new camera)

The pic below is not my Fw 190A-10 it is the 1/48 scale Dragon Fw 190 D-12, the light gray and red areas that you see are where I had to putty and sand a number of places on the airframe, the worst area was the large supercharger air intake. A lot of work has went into this model so far, sadly the molds for this kit are in very bad shape and thats where much of the time was spent...correcting the flaws in some of the basic kit parts.

The pic below has nothing to do with my A-10 build but I find it interesting and thought I would show you, it is a pic of some Fw 190Fs that were built by Arado and never reached the frontline before the war ended, check out how only parts of the airframes were camouflaged and other parts such as the fuselage and fin were in BMF.

Below are some pics of my new Airbrushes, an Iwata Revolution BR and an Iwata HP-B Plus.
The HP-B Plus will be used for fine detail work, it can spray down to a hairline and as wide as 3/4'', I look forward to trying to do some of those late war 'scribble' camouflage patterns the Germans used in WWII. :smiley:

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland