Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 build thread

Started by matrixone, May 29, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Greg,
Now that I have both volumes of Jerry Crandall's Dora book I have enough information to start work on this model again, I don't have any new pics at this time but that will change. Soon.

Also in the works are a what-if D-13, this one is being built from a 1/48 scale Dragon kit.

Some RW subjects have kept me away from the whiff world most of this year but other what-ifs planned will include a Ta 183 and Ta 283.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: matrixone on December 12, 2009, 07:21:14 PM
Some RW subjects have kept me away from the whiff world most of this year but other what-ifs planned will include a Ta 183 and Ta 283.

And where might one see these RW marvels ???? - Enquiring minds need to know  :blink: Looking forward to the Ta's in the near future.  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

matrixone

Thanks for the reply Ian,
I will post the RW things here today so they can be seen.

The Ta 183 will be made from the Amtech kit and the one area on that kit that I don't like is the main landing gear legs, they are too long and I will have to cut them in half and remove a section and then glue them together....not very easy to do since they are thin to begin with and they will have to support the weight of the finished model.

Matrixone

matrixone

At long last I have something new to show on this build, its not much but its something to look at, some pre-shading...

The A-10 is in the center, above right is my Fw 190D-9 ''heavy armor'' what-if, above left is a real world Fw 190D-9.

The undersurfaces...

The pre-shading looks way overdone right now but when I am finished with the next step in painting much of the pre-shading will barely be noticed.
Also the undersurfaces of the A-10 main wing are blank for a reason, it will get painted with Alclad II paints, the A-10 will have its lower wing surfaces in NMF.

Matrixone

matrixone

The pre-shading has been covered up and looks a little better now, the wing is getting its lower surface painted gloss black today, after the black paint sets for a day or two the Alclad II will get sprayed on.

Below is a close-up of my Fw 190D-9 what-if ''heavy armor''.

...and this is my real world D-9 after the pre-shading has been sprayed over.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Excellent work, Les. Like those  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

rickshaw

"D-9 Heavy Armour"?  Do you mean heavy armament or that it carries heavy armour (plating)?

Wasn't the D-13 the ground attack version of the "längere Nase"?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

matrixone

Thanks Ian!

rickshaw,
My what-if D-9 will have heavy armament, more so than the real world D-9s had. My idea for this what-if is for a varient of the Fw 190D-9 that was built for the disbanded Zerstorer units to allow them to get more kills against the Allied bombers. My model will have Zerstorer markings on it.

The Fw 190D-13 could have been used by the ground attack units but with its high top speed of 458.60 MPH it would have been more at home in the fighter role.
The Fw 190F-10 was to be a ground attack plane with good performance but the A-10/F-10 series was never built.

Matrixone

matrixone

These pics show the Alclad II on the wings undersurfaces, you will notice the ailerons have not been painted yet, they will have a slightly different shade of RLM 76 than what the fuselage has on it. I mixed a few different shades of Alclad II together so I could paint some of the panels in a slightly different shade of Alluminum. I was trying to keep it subtle.
The leading edge of the wing was not painted yet because the uppersurface color will wrap around onto that part of the undersurface.

Matrixone

Allan

Matrix,
Can you please reveal your technique of spraying the RLM 76 so as to cover the preshading, but leave it coyly in position in the panel lines????
It's marvellous the way to achieve that effect!!!
Allan in Canberra

matrixone

Thank you Allan.

I used a high contrast in the colors used on my pre-shading attempt on this model. That way there was not too much danger of painting over the pre-shading and erasing it.
When I was spraying the RLM 76 over the pre-shading I started at the center of each panel and worked my way towards the edge of the panels and slowly added paint until the the panel line looked pale enough to me.
When I paint the uppersurfaces of the wings I will also do the pre-shading thing there but will not use as much contrast in the colors, on the top of the model many of the areas will have only a hint of the pre-shading showing and I will instead highlight some of the raised parts of the airframe with a thinned lighter shade of the base camouflage color. I don't mind if the undersurfaces still show some of the pre-shading effect because those areas are in shadow anyway but the pre-shading can look odd if its too heavy on the models uppersurfaces.

HTH

Matrixone

matrixone

Today I sprayed the wing uppersuraces RLM 75 on three of my models.

Its hard to see in the pics but I did pre-shade these models, here is how I did it:

1. Spray on a thin coat of straight RLM 75.

2. With a darkened version of RLM 75 I sprayed a few of the panel lines.

3. I mixed a much lighter version of RLM 75 and lightened the center of the panels  with some mottles and streaks.

4. The last step was spraying on a highly thinned coat of RLM 75 to blend everything together.

The above is a lot of work but I really like to paint models! ;D

Below is the A-10

Here is my what-if D-9 ''heavy armor''

And last, (the one nearest the camera) here is my Fw 190 D-9 real world

Matrixone

matrixone

The RLM 74 was sprayed on the wings today. My Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 has 74/75 color wings, the fuselage will have 82/83 uppersurfaces. Why the odd color combo on a late war(very late war!) Fw 190? Many Fw 190 wings were built by a subcontractor and used whatever paint they still had, late in the war it was common to see Fw 190 D-9s with the fuselages painted in the late war greens mated with wings finished in the older 74/75 paint colors.

Below is my A-10 and D-9 heavy armor what-if, notice this Dora has non-standard RLM colors on it...something for the color Nazis to bitch about. ;D

...and here is my real world Dora (the one nearest the camera)

BTW, the real world Dora has the correct camouflage pattern for the Fieseler built Dora that I am making. The pattern is different than what most other Doras had.

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

Gorgeous camouflage i love the subtle patterns within each color.  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thanks Taiidantomcat!

A lot of work has been put into the painting of these models so far...I hope it pays off in the look of the finished models.
After painting and decals are finished the weathering effects will continue with oil paints, Mig powders and even more airbrushing. On the A-10 some of the markings will be painted on...the first time I will attempt to do so.

I am running out of time and might stop work on two of these models for a short time so I can get to work on my ''secret'' bomber project and get it finished, April 1st will be here before you know it! ;D I missed out on last April 1st.

Matrixone