Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 build thread

Started by matrixone, May 29, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumaniac

you have much more patience than me - it looks great

matrixone

Thanks kitbasher and dumaniac!

kitbasher,
Cool! Someone else on this site is a Dora fan!
Yes there was one Fw 190D-15 built and flown during the last weeks of the war. There are a couple of photographs of the D-15 in the second volume of the JaPo Fw 190 Camo & Markings book. The photographs are of the machine after it was wrecked by the Germans but it is clearly the D-15 prototype.
If you are really into Doras get the two books by Jerry Crandall...sure they are expensive but they are just PACKED with useful information you will not find anywhere else.

BTW, Planet Models makes a resin kit of the D-15.

Matrixone

GTX

Quote from: matrixone on May 17, 2010, 04:53:03 PM

If you are really into Doras get the two books by Jerry Crandall...sure they are expensive but they are just PACKED with useful information you will not find anywhere else.

Agreed.  These are the ones:

You might also want this one:

I just got all three - you can get them from http://www.eagle-editions.com/

Be warned though, they have some nice staff working there to lovingly pack your order:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

See now I need a job right there :wacko:
BTW does anyone make a decent large scale TA-152?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Gondor

now that's some reference material............

and the books look good as well  :thumbsup:

I am planning a brace of Fw 109's as well in 1/72 though at this stage I am trying to build up my references for the rear of the engine as in the langnase versions the top of the wheel bay was open and the rear of the engine and what ever was behind it was visible.

Enjoying the A-10 immensely and pondering a 1/72 version......... possibly

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

I really like the Eagle Chicks! :wub:

sotoolslinger,
There is the PCM kit of the Ta 152H available now, but there is a new kit of the Ta 152 due to be released later this year from a company in Japan (can't remember the name of the company) that is supposed to have full engine detail. I don't have the PCM kit but have read a lot about it and there are some issues with how accurate it is...but it would make a great what-if!

Thanks Gondor!
Look for a new update on the A-10 late Sunday.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Quote from: matrixone on May 21, 2010, 04:34:50 PM
I really like the Eagle Chicks! :wub:

sotoolslinger,
There is the PCM kit of the Ta 152H available now, but there is a new kit of the Ta 152 due to be released later this year from a company in Japan (can't remember the name of the company) that is supposed to have full engine detail. I don't have the PCM kit but have read a lot about it and there are some issues with how accurate it is...but it would make a great what-if!

Matrixone

It's a brand called Super Wings by a company named Zoukei-Mura. Their first kit was the Shinden which got good reviews. More info here http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/index.html

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

At 1/32, there's lots of option for super detailing.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

Dang that is super effin cool. :wub: I would also get my arse super kicked for spending 100 bucks on a model. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Definitely looks worth it.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

matrixone

Did some painting on the Fw 190A-10...

You can see in the background the 1/48 scale U.S.Army figures and jeep I am also working on...they will be featured in the ''airfield'' pics of the finished Fw 190A-10.

BTW, the green RLM 82 on the rear of the A-10 is all wrong. I will have to repaint those areas. The RLM 82 should be a lighter shade of green. :banghead:

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

Was it a bad batch of RLM 82 or a bad mix?  :unsure: Great work by the way  :thumbsup: How many hours a week would you estimate you airbrush total?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thanks Taiidantomcat,
It was not a bad batch of RLM 82 colored paint, I use Model Master enamel paints and I don't care for their version of the RLM 82 green color because its too bright looking and I decided to tone it down but I darkened it too much. When I looked at my pictures of this model in black and white the contrast of the two colors is not very wide and in fact the 82 areas look darker than the 83 areas....way wrong!
Can't really say for sure the amount of time I spend airbrushing per week, 1 to 2 hours at least.
Whenever I have the airbrush out to paint something I always spend a few extra minutes practice painting with the remaining paint in the cup. One thing that the top airbrush artists say is to practice and then when you are sick and tired of it practice even more. Very good advice if you want to improve your skills.

Matrixone

matrixone

I painted over my screw-up with a much better (and lighter) version of the RLM 82 green color and also painted the replacement cowl part with its camouflage paint so all the camouflage colors are now on the model. Painting the camouflage colors on the model was easy, deciding which camouflage patterns to put on it was not! Also not easy will be painting the checkered RVD band on the rear fuselage, a job I am not looking forward to.

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

I am glad I am not the only one who sees a thousand camouflages and can't decide on a single one!  :drink: What is the plan on the checkered band?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Taiidantomcat,
I plan to mark this Fw 190 as a machine that was operated by III./KG(J), a number of the aircraft operated by this unit had a green and white checkered tail band. They also had white markings with a drop shadow effect on the edges of the markings instead of the normal hard edged pin stripe.

It was difficult to decide on what camouflage colors/pattern to use on this model because I wanted it to look like it was a real world aircraft even though its a whiff.
What-if models that are just barely whiffs are what I prefer to build and they sometimes can ruffle the feathers of the JMN types which can be fun! ;D Wait until I do my ''aged'' airfield pics with this model...(evil laugh) :wacko:.

Matrixone