Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 build thread

Started by matrixone, May 29, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I like your idea behind your whiffing Matrixone,

Getting the JMN's scratching their heads wondering just what is not right about the model in front of them because the authenticity of the whiff is so real due to the slight twist of reality that has taken place.

That's just the way I like to do some whiff's such as the Sea Harrier F/A 3 that I build a year ago. Used an AV-8B and put a nose on it that looked like a Sea Harrier F/A 2 radome then added pylons as per the RAF Harrier fleet and put lovely 899 SQN markings, got a few double takes on that one  ;D

Question about your underside finish, bare metal and lacquer as well as RLM 65 ?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

matrixone

Thanks Gondor and Ian!

Yes its fun messing with the JMNs, sometimes they get angry but most of the time they admit that they were fooled at first and had to get some of their reference books out to see what is ''wrong'' with some of my models. Since I build a mix of late war Luftwaffe and Luft'46 models when I post my work on other sites sometimes people are not sure what to think of it. :wacko:
A few years back I even got hate mail! I consider it a badge of honor. :thumbsup:

My Fw 190 A-10 has undersurfaces of RLM 76 and natural metal. If the war had lasted longer most German aircraft would have had the undersurfaces unpainted in order to save weight and reduce production time, the only parts that would have been painted an undersurface color would have been those made of steel, wood, or fabric.

Matrixone

matrixone

Did more painting today, the checkered tail band is done and the drop shadow effect for the aircraft numbers is done too.

Next up for this model is some detail painting on the airframe and then the gloss coat.

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

That is some sharp masking on those checkers! well done!  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thanks Taiidantomcat!

The painting of the tail band turned out okay but just barely, there are some areas where its a little bit off but it won't matter too much on the finished model because this one will get weathered quite a bit and dirt and mud will be splattered on the rear of the fuselage. Really looking forward to beating up this aircraft.

Matrixone

Ruipfg

this one is a beauty.
keep up the great work.

matrixone

Thank you Ruipfg!

There has been a glitch in the progress of this model...I lost the windscreen! :banghead:
I have looked everywhere for this part and still can't find it, thats what I get for having a messy worktable and many other models in-progress at the same time.

Matrixone

matrixone

After freaking out about not being able to find the windscreen I nearly tore the house apart looking for it but did find it...it was buried under a bunch of other Focke-wulf parts from other kits. Whew!

Anyway, the canopy parts are now painted and the decals are on it...

Matrixone

buzzbomb

matrixone

Thanks buzzbomb!

Painting it was the easy part, deciding what colors and camouflage pattern to use on it was not as easy...I wanted this one to look like it COULD have really existed but at the same time be a true what-if.
Some of the stencils I used were slightly changed from those of a standard short nosed Fw 190.
The Wrk.N. is also made up but is close to those used by known Fw 190 A-9 production blocks. BTW, the number 5 in the Wrk.N. is placed slightly out of line compared to the rest of the numbers, I tried to copy the way the Wrk.N. on some late war aircraft was applied...not always lined up neatly or spaced correctly.

The model has been gloss coated again and has to dry before I can do much else with it.

Matrixone

dumaniac

matrixone

Thanks dumaniac!

While the gloss coat is drying I am working on my 1/48 scale U.S. Army jeep and figures...these models will be seen in the background of some of my vintage B/W pics of the A-10.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks NARSES2,

Not much done on the A-10 while it dries, I will post a pic of jeep and the figues I am working on soon.

Matrixone