Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-10 build thread

Started by matrixone, May 29, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

More in-progress pics...

I finished up the oil washes, some mud streaks on the undersurfaces were added and also made the cowling latches and access panels stand out a little more, they look overdone right now but the final clear flar coat will help blend them in.

The prop is not glued on yet, its just on the model for these test pics.

Next up for this model is some airbrush work, I need to spray on some 'dirt' and then the exhaust stains, the underside of the fuselage near the ETC rack will get dirtied up a bit more.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Just looks 'right' in every respect  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Gondor

Would it be to much of a stretch of the imagination that all the Fw 190 F and G would have the same tail unit introduced into their production if time had allowed, and if so is there any known designation for such aircraft?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

buzzbomb

Really nice job.

subtle weathering and so looking the part

matrixone

Thanks guys! My plans are to finish the weathering this weekend and maybe have the model finished in two weeks.

Gondor,
If the war had lasted a little longer ALL Focke-Wulf Fw 190's (including the A and F versions) were to have been fitted with the Ta 152 style big tail. The idea was to streamline production of the tail units and produce only one type of tail that could be used on all the Focke-Wulf prop fighters being produced.

Matrixone

Gondor

Matrixone

That's what I thought, I was wondering if any other version had been given a version number such as your A-10 had. I have also ordered a couple of large tails in 1/72 by AML from Hannants recently to graft onto some Revell Fw-190's, though I have o idea when the builds will take place.

As ever watching the build in total fascination and awe at your skill Matrixone

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

matrixone

Thanks Gondor, I apreciate the comments.

There were a few Doras built with the Ta 152 style tail unit and at least one short nosed Fw 190 had the big tail fitted to it (there is a photograph of it in Vol. 1 Jerry Crandall's Dora book), there were probably others too but so far the photographs of them are very scarce.

Matrixone

matrixone

Finished most of the airbrush weathering by spraying on some dirt on the fuselage and the exhaust stains.

Next up will be a flat clear coat and some light paint chipping with a silver colored pencil and then I will use some Mig weathering powders followed by another flat clear coat.

Matrixone

Gondor

Matrixone,

I have been doing some research on the Fw 190 and found some interesting information that you probably already know and can hopefully expand on for me. The Fw 190 A-9 was built using the BMW 801 TS with some of the last airframes built with the Ta 152 tail unit. The BMW 801 TS had apparently were fitted with a 14 blade cooling fan which was more effective than the existing engine cooling fan.
My research also shows that the A-10 version was to be fitted with the BMW 801 F which had originally been fitted to the A-9 version. I have found very little information about this engine version so can only assume that it would also have been fitted with the more effective 14 bladed cooling fan.
The supposition is that a late A-9 Fw 190 would look almost identical to an Fw 190 A-10.

your thoughts please,

Regards

Gondor

matrixone

Gondor,

Yes the Fw 190A-10 was to have been fitted with the BMW 801F engine. From what I have read about the planned Fw 190A-10 it would have looked almost the same as a standard Fw 190A-9 but no one can really say for sure...none of my reference books agree on exactly what upgrades the A-10 would have had.
The Fw 190A-9 had the BMW 801TS engine and most had the fourteen bladed cooling fan, but I have seen some photographs of the A-9 fitted with the older fan blades and metal propellers. The Fw 190A-9 also used a thicker armored ring oil tank. It is not easy to tell the difference between the Fw 190A-8 and A-9 and in some cases looking at the Wrk.N. is the only way to know for sure what sub-type you are looking at.

My A-10 is now finished, I just need to get some pics of it.

Matrixone

Gondor

Matrixone,

I look forward to the pictures of your finished build. It is an inspiration to which end I have decided to build my own version in 1/72, partly as I have a spare Revell A-8 to use as a basis. I have purchased a Ta 152 tail unit intended for the D-9 version which will have its extension reduced to act as the insert to the rear of the fuselage. Propellers will be from an Academy D-9 and my Rustsatz 6 armament is from an Academy Me 262. Not decided on the operator yet though the camouflage will be similar to what you have used as that fits nicely with my interpretation of what the aircraft would have worn.

Gondor

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

matrixone

Thanks Moritz!

Gondor,
Most very late war Fw 190's and Ta 152's had 82/83 uppersurfaces, but 74/75/76 was still being used on a few newly built A-8's and A-9's up until the war ended, those factories still able to turn out new aircraft had to use whatever paints they had availble even if it meant they had to use outdated camo colors.
I look forward to seeing your 1/72 scale ''big tail'' 190! :thumbsup:

Here is a teaser pic of my A-10...

Many more pics to follow later this week.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks NARSES2!

This thing is FINISHED! It seemed like it took forever to finish this one but most of the time spent on this model was deciding what camo and markings I would put on it, it was not until I got my hands on Jerry Crandall's second volume of his Dora book and learned a little more about III./KG(J) 27 that I decided that unit would be perfect to mark my A-10 with...a little known unit operating the rarest of all the short nosed Focke-Wulfs, perfect! The real test for this model will be when I post pics of it on some of the other forums, I wonder what some of the 'experts' will think of this one. :wacko:

Matrixone