Arado Ar-234 Blitz and Heinkel He-343

Started by GTX, May 30, 2008, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Here is the AR-234 Thread:  http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20165.0/

We don't have one on the He343 though (at least that I could find).  Wish there was a decent 1/48 kit of this around though as I would love to model one.

John did this profile of one for my A Simple Issue of Metals story:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dumaniac

Hi - I have purchased 2x of the 48 scale Ar 234 by Hobbycraft to do a cut-and-shut into a He 343.  I can't remember the details (my books are put away) but I think the He 343 was an upscaled Ar 234 by 25% - with two additional engines.  I seem to recall the Luft46 site has a good summary of the project.  There is a book out on the 343 but I have not purchased it.  The fuselage is increased in depth and width so they will probably be the tricky bit but I plan to use the two fuselages to make the new 343 body.  Once this current study period is over (should be done by Christmas 2011), I'll get into the conversion.  Hope to catch a few eyes in the competition table - should be a big bird.  If I get game, I'll build in a bomb bay with a full load.

Good luck

Bernie

sequoiaranger

Long ago I had envisioned two "Mein Flucht" projects (Furher escape machines to get him out of Berlin and into Spain and eventually South America): one, that I *WILL* do some time, is a compilation of Do-335 and Ar-234, but a more ambitious project that was shelved, and now the kit(s) are gone, was a 1/48 Ar-234 scalo-rama-ed into a giant 1/72 jet bomber, with TWO sets of twin-BMW-003 per wing (from two 1/72 Ar-234C kits), and looking like a smaller, German version of a B-52.

Good luck with your He-343!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

dumaniac

I like your idea of the German B52 by combining different scaled kits - I 'll keep a look out in the swap and sells

cheers Bernie

GTX

QuoteThere is a book out on the 343 but I have not purchased it. 

This one?

Not sure it is available any more.

Regards,

Greg

frank2056

Quote from: GTX on December 31, 2010, 08:19:36 PM

Not sure it is available any more.

Greg, according to Dan's site (he sells/published the booklet) it's still available:

http://www.luft46.com/bookad2.html

Gary F

Maybe this fits in here ... did it a couple years ago but seems it got lost in one of the site hacks, but maybe some will enjoy ...

regards,
Gary F

dumaniac

yes I have been tempted to purchase that book but I have two issues.

1) I kind-of know enough about the aircraft to do damage to 3x Ar 234 kits to make a 343
2) if you go to competitions which what reference material, the more you provide, the more judges can find fault with your kit - of course those judges would treat their mates kits in the same way, wouldn't they ? (yeah well stay on your medication) so minimum reference material is an advantage for competitions.

And I don't like the truth to get in the way of a good model conversion.

So for now, the book will stay on the "wants" list.  I should be able to pick one up by the time I finish all my 262 conversions - in a few year time.

frank2056

Dan's He 343 book is almost 100% hypothetical designs; there's no way a judge could use it against your model! "Yeah, but my model is from a design that's in an unpublished volume 2!"

dumaniac

Frank - you must go to different competitions than me - maybe its my skills letting me down.  I have been on a few judging panels and I can see the way it goes - maybe its has changed since I did judging.

I guess if they are all fictional He 343 - I can make one of those up myself.

But I would still like to get the book someday.  Thanks for the heads up on the book.

Daryl J.

One of the online retailers had Hasegawa Ar-234's massively on sale during December so I ordered in a couple with the intent of making  a stretch Ar-234  either in Extra Dark Sea Gray over Sky or overall Gloss Sea Blue.      :party: :party: :party:     I'm rummaging through various and sundries to find pods for alternate, ficticious turbojets.    As to the roll of the machine, I have no idea nor do I really care.    :thumbsup:

:cheers:,  (latent state aqueous dihydrogen oxide)
Daryl J. 

dumaniac

Daryl - if you are looking a bit laterally for different single engine pods - I used the 72 scale IL-28 Beagle pods to make a turbo-prop of the 262 in 48 scale - placed above the wing to give the blades ground clearance

I also used Hustler engine pods to make my Me262 HG3 conversion with the pods adjacent to the fuselage.

Just a suggestion

Bernie

GTX

Something I just quickly thre together - an Ar234 with scaled up outer wings from a Me262:

Regards,

Greg

Maverick

Looks like quite a natural progression of the type Greg, so much more so than the actual crescent-wing Projekten.

Regards,

Mav

kitnut617

I've read somewhere, that the prototype Me262 had almost straight wings and only got swept-back outer panels once they removed the piston engine and prop from the nose. this was to compensate for the shift in cg which the guns didn't equal when they were installed.  It was later in the testing that the inner wing leading edge got changed so it followed the same line as the outer wing leading edge.  This could go the same way Greg
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike