Has anyone 'steampunked' any kits?

Started by Daryl J., June 06, 2008, 02:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Steampunk Stuka...that sounds brilliant! it already has such a unique shape... i had thought about doing a Steampunk Tomcat, complete with a modern pilot converted to look like an imperial british cavalryman. planned on doing the machine red as well. i just got a little lost in the details... wooden wheels? cloth wings or metal? these sites are helpful though:thumbsup: maybe get the project back...

-Ben
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

puddingwrestler

Books of note/usefulness for inspiration:
Stephen Baxter's 'Anti Ice' - not exactly steam powered as such, anti-ice is an extra-terrestrial energy source discovered in a meteor, but they do steam punk things to it!
William Gibson and Bruce Sterling's 'The difference engine' - Steampunk Cyberpunk about a world in which Babbage's mechanical computers were completed and the computer revolution arrived a century earlier. Plenty of steam powered insanity.
The comic book 'Nemesis the Warlock' (orgininally appearing in 2000AD during the 1980s, now republished in three volumes by Rebellion Publications) features a story called 'The Gothic Empire' in which an alien empire of shape shifters have molded thier society into a crazy steam punk space faring version of late victorian england as a tribute to Earth culture. Some very nice images in there - I particularly like the 'hush zeppies' - a pair of lighter than air zepplin shoes which appear to have jet propulsion!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

mgp

Hominem Iniocosum Non Diffidite

NARSES2

I know I've mentioned "Copplestone Castings" in other threads (and I have nothing to do with them) but they and "Foundry" plus others have ranges based on late Victorian SF. Jules Verne, HG Wells et al. Steam Powered tanks, lighter then air craft from The Martian Empire. If you look in some of the UK Wargames Mags you can find loads of inspiration
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sisko

I am considering scratchbuilding one of these babies.

It has a very Warhammer 40K feel to it.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Daryl J.

I wonder if H. Miyazaki got the inspiration for his Bad Guy tank that Tasca did in 1/72 from the above tank and the WW-I  Male/Female tank.
[Edit]  ....and there is more info in this thread than ever imagined....thanks!!!!

Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 08, 2008, 09:20:54 PM
I wonder if H. Miyazaki got the inspiration for his Bad Guy tank that Tasca did in 1/72 from the above tank and the WW-I  Male/Female tank.
[Edit]  ....and there is more info in this thread than ever imagined....thanks!!!!

Daryl J.

Based on simple chronology the answer is no, Miyazaki's tank predates this design by many years.
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/manga/zassou.html 

Rather I'd say the Russian creator of this tank, from a current in-work novel according to the Coilhouse link posted upstream, is influenced by Miyazaki.

Jon

B777LR

I could imaging a steam powered Sea King. Those things have been flying since the time of steam machines! ;D

BlackOps

Sisko, that is a really nice find! I'd say go for it  :thumbsup: You could use a chess piece as a base for the unicorn head.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

DaFROG

Quote from: puddingwrestler on June 07, 2008, 03:02:06 PM
Books of note/usefulness for inspiration:
Stephen Baxter's 'Anti Ice' - not exactly steam powered as such, anti-ice is an extra-terrestrial energy source discovered in a meteor, but they do steam punk things to it!
William Gibson and Bruce Sterling's 'The difference engine' - Steampunk Cyberpunk about a world in which Babbage's mechanical computers were completed and the computer revolution arrived a century earlier. Plenty of steam powered insanity.
Awesome books both
Anti ice is perfect for steampunk propulsion it's basically antimatter, very high energy density. The book is set in the victorian era but anti ice allows production of steampunk space craft amongst other cool things, tres awesome.
see also the anime "steamboy"

Daryl J.

I actually have 'Steamboy' and thought it was reasonably cool and had no idea it was 'steampunkish' until just a few days ago.
Thanks for the book recommendations; they'll be checked out either at the library or Amazon since I never get over to Powell's Bookstore anymore (shame on me!!!!!!)

Perhaps Eduard's Pfalz D.IIIa (early) should get a 'carved' whorled rear fuselage in natural dark wood finish,  redo all the tips of the flying surfaces into ogival points, scab on some armor for the cockpit with too few oversized rivets, trick out the cockpit , and put the pilot figure in with ram's horns on his head and it could be the villain.  Its support vehicles all steam powered of course.

Or, Eduard's Wahlfisch could get a significant width addition, tires in spats hooked up to all four corners like an Indy car, no wings of any kind, a steam engine and it could be the rich family Wahl's summer vacation vehicle.   Curtains included, of course.   Now that it's in Weekend Edition form, it's not too spendy.

But for the life of me, I cannot think of anything for the Sopwith Camel.  Something that keeps it forever new, some steam heaters for the pilot's northern Norway duty,.........hmmmm.......

Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 09, 2008, 09:57:12 PM

Or, Eduard's Wahlfisch could get a significant width addition, tires in spats hooked up to all four corners like an Indy car, no wings of any kind, a steam engine and it could be the rich family Wahl's summer vacation vehicle.   Curtains included, of course.   Now that it's in Weekend Edition form, it's not too spendy.

Daryl J.

You mean like the Benz Tropfenwagen?

Or howzabout Barney Oldfield's 'Golden Submarine' built by Harry Miller?

http://www.vintageracecars.com/sub.htm

Jon