Anyone notice anything wrong with this picture?

Started by Maverick, June 08, 2008, 05:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Jennings,

Funnily enough, pretty much every instruction course I've been on tends to recommend calling screw-ups 'tests' so the natives don't get too cocky too!

Maybe Xtradecals hired some of those "11 year old Chinese Kids" for their stuff?

Regards,

Mvaurik

Maverick

Jeffry,

Funnily enough, I can understand the confusion with orbats within differing organisations.  Commonwealth forces tend to focus on Squadrons with little or no indicator as to their role, whilst US forces (and many others) concentrate on Wings that are frequently specificially designated as Fighter, Bomber, etc.

Then of course, individual squadrons get moved around Wings and when you think the (insert Sqn here) served with the (insert Wing here), they possibly did, but then the unit may have transferred out or being deactivated. 

Makes for confusing times.

Why there is the marked difference in designations relating to Squadrons vs Wings has always been a puzzler for me.

Regards,

Mav

Jeffry Fontaine

What is worse yet with the current American system is the desire to maintain some kind of heritage within the units so you have a numbered squadron that is changed to another number or split to become two different units.  Same problem with the Army when it converted to the Combat Arms Regimental System back in the early 60's and still continues on in one convolutated form or another. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Maverick

To be honest Jeffry, I wouldn't even like to try & fathom the US Army system. 

Commonwealth army designators are bad enough, even down to ranks.  I spent many an hour doing pushups because I kept calling my Bombardier weapons instructor (ie: Arty Corporal) a Corporal.  Just didn't sink in for me at that point and don't even get me started on naval stuff!  My God, I know the sea is a harsh mistress and all that, but the plethora of 'traditions' within the 'Senior Service' (they think) is just too much for my land-lubbing mind to comprehend.

I think sometimes the policy makers attempt to retain historically significant aspects & rightly so, but end up tying themselves up in so much burecratic red tape that it becomes a joke for those it actually involves.

Regards,

John