Hawker/Grumman GT-X24 Hellstorm

Started by sotoolslinger, June 09, 2008, 07:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

The horror begins

I'm gonna need more putty

With Hawker busy building Hurricanes and Typhoon they had no manufacturing capability or time to develop a platform for the new Napier Cutlass X-24 cylinder 2500 horsepower engine so with Hawker advising the project was transferred to the Grumman shadow factory .The requirement was for a 400+ mph fighter that could manouver with the latest German aircraft and carry at least 4 cannon with a range of at least 1000 miles loaded
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sotoolslinger

Well that didn't suck nearly as bad as I thought it would

Now the sanding, I hope I survive :wacko:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

Rafael

Great entreé, Sotoolslinger!!!

That blending look smooth and gives a look os speed and power.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

I can´t wait for this, another of your marvelous creations.

You're not only popular with howling mice, you're also popular with banana-land wonders :lol: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

Thanks Rafa the admiration is mutual, love your stuff. :wub: can't believe what you do with cardboard(mmmmm) much less plastic ;D
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

After much PSR(much more to go) :banghead: :banghead:

Third primer with wings

With Big Ole Cannons

From above

Front with prop

Fly by

The Grumman engineers based their design on the already very servicable Wildcat platform scaled up considerably. The Hawker team gave good advice on sizing and strengthening the aircraft and all feedback from the Southern Hemisphere allies experience in China and Africa was taken into consideration. The airframe was sized for 1" cannon and .75 bore machine guns as well as having hard points for the new high velocity rockets.  :wacko:
I amuse me.

RotorheadTX

What kind of putty/epoxy are you using to blend all the bits together??
That white stuff looks like it is very workable, and seems to sand well without chunking away....  :bow:

Brian da Basher

That's just awesome, Toolslinger! I see you're teasing us again with that "night" scheme...
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

The putty is VersaChem Magnum(will harden underwater) Marine/Plastic Repair epoxy stick  from ITW Performance Polymers Rivera Beach ,Florida  33404 . It is pretty nifty. It gives about 8-10 minutes working time so you have to be quick but it does sand well. Be careful though it is harder than styrene so you have to watch how you sand . It does wet sand well though and feathers well.
It's an epoxy stick so it works like miliput ;D
More PSR

.75 cal machine guns ( synchronized) installed in nose

These are of course 15 mm cannon with explosive rounds so the aircraft actually has 6 cannon :wacko:
I amuse me.

Rafael

You're a hardcore speed builder!!! :bow:

The armament suite with the 15mm and the BOCs (Big 'Ole Cannons) is perfect!!!

Are there any underwing stores planned?
Now, How do you plan to dress this dangerous lady?

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

Rafa she will have rockets :wacko: The backstory in my world is that the US does not enter WW2 until very late but behind the scenes sets up shadow factories, sends scientists,engineers, and mercenaries to all the Allies as support against the Axis . This plane will be built in England and as I already have a New Zealand marked craft and the Bushmaster will be Austrailian I will mark this British. I am torn as to which rockets to use. I think I will use the British style , big head ,rail style as this craft is to be the successor to the Bushmaster which will be armed with FFAR triple rocket pods. :wacko:
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

No big surprise that I'm liking this with great intensity.  You're making the blending/PSR look easy.

If you'd like: Now that you have your airbrush out, you can easily make some raised panel lines on the revised cowl (to match the rest of the fuselage) using Tamiya masking tape and your Testors Acryl paint.  After only 2 or 3 coats, when you pull the tape, you'll have perfectly matching raised panel lines that you can subsequently paint over with whatever your final scheme is to be.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Cool tip JHM :wub: thanks. Now how do I link the GTX profile this is from to the GB :unsure: :blink:
I amuse me.

proditor

That's is freakin' awesome!  I'm really stunned at how natural the engine looks on that fuselage.   :thumbsup:

sotoolslinger

Thanks Pro wait till I get the 24 separate exhaust stacks on :wacko:
I amuse me.