Bismark-Erkranoplan hybrid?

Started by Tuck, June 09, 2008, 01:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: Tuck on June 09, 2008, 03:41:03 PM
Just researched the weight issues a bit. 

Bismark:

45,000 tons, 830 feet long.

Sounds like an Erkranoplan Bismark is quite impossible.

45000 tons divided by 1/144 = 312.5 tons, therefore lighter than an Erkranplan and so game on! ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Geoff

Quote from: Tuck on June 10, 2008, 07:34:48 AM
I like the way you think..... ;D

I will proceed.  What the hell.  Perhaps the answer is multiple wings and jets.  Methinks 8-16 + huge jets and multiple wings......

Very interestink......

Sounds good - short span, but enormous chord wings and a battery of lift jets as well!!!!

B777LR

A moment i though you were going to do a Yamato-Ekranoplan, which is obviously too heavy, but now i see that youve gone for the Bismark, which is just perfect, considering its weight...

jcf

Hi Bryan,
one thing to consider is that an Aleksyev style WIG is not your only option.
The other options are the Bartini twin-pontoon type(best for true flight), the Lippisch reversed delta (a good compromise) and the Tandem-wing type explored by Jorg in Germany(Aleksyev also did some early experimentation with the type).

http://www.turkstra.com/K-Designs/WIGTypes.htm

For something the size of your sea skimming dreadnought a cross between the Aleksyev type and the tandem-wing may be the way to go.

Jon