K

1:48 McCauley Mosquito replica - Chevy power!

Started by K5054NZ, June 09, 2008, 09:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

Spotted at Oshkosh in 1987 was this scale DH Mosquito replica. Powered by 350hp Chevy V8s and close to the dimensions of a P-40, this machine – fairly accurate in outline (but reminiscent of the later single-seat DH.102 Hornet)– was said to be a prototype for a run of homebuild machines. More refined than the VW-powered 2/3 scale Butterworth Westland Whirlwind which appeared – and disappeared – earlier in the decade, big things were planned for the McCauley Mosquito, with plans for several aircraft being circulated. At least four were under construction in the US by 1990, but none are reported to have been completed. The prototype aircraft, N98MM, remained airworthy until stored after a landing accident in 1995.

QuoteMINIATURE MOSQUITO FLIES AGAIN!

Scaled replicas are something not often seen in these pages, but one machine of note has recently flown again after more than a decade in storage. The McCauley Mosquito, a roughly ¾ scale version of de Havilland's "wooden wonder", was marketed in the late 1980s as an affordable warbird replica with size close to that of a P-40, but only one aircraft was reportedly completed. This aircraft, registered N98MM, served as the prototype for the homebuilt design, and was flown by owner/designer Roger D. McCauley to several airshows and fly-ins across the US in efforts to promote the concept. Damaged in a groundloop in October 1995, the aircraft was put into storage and sold.
The new owner, Daniel Walker, had the unique machine rebuilt and flown by the team at Stevens-Perri Aero Technologies at Pittsburgh. Now restored to an accurate RAF day fighter scheme - but with the spurious codes RD-M (signifying the designer) - the delightful machine has flown some 15 hours since the first flight on April 25. The twin Chevy V8-powered mini-Mosquito is set to appear at EAA AirVenture this June – hopefully in company with Jerry Yagen's 1:1 Mosquito KA114 - before being shipped to its new home in the UK.

K5054NZ

Airfix 1:72 Mosquito Mk.II/VI/XVIII kit for the airframe and "guns" (cut from rocket projectiles), with NF.XIX/J.30 props (cut down) and spinners, 1:72 A-10 canopy, 1:48 Revellogram P-51D seat, Matchbox 1:72 Mosquito B.IX/NF.30 main u/c, unknown donor for tailwheel. Humbrol filler!

I've wanted to do a model of a "scale replica", and when playing around with my numerous 1:72 Mossies I thought it would be perfect to whif one into a 1:48 version of a 3/4 scale replica. Why not? Shortened props a la Titan 3/4 Mustangs, I'd read of mini Mustangs having 350hp Chevs up front so I thought it'd make sense!

Hope you like it - I'm quite pleased. The similarity to the Hornet is wholly unintentional!

B777LR

John Howling Mouse

Fantastic idea, Zac and I love the canopy.  Can you photograph this next to another 1:48 model for "scale effect"?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Hobbes

Nice model, and an interesting idea. I'd have used Jaguar V12s instead, though...

Brian da Basher

Nice one, Zac! I really like how you modified this baby. It's very convincing and is a showcase of just how far your modelling skills have come in such a short time. The red spinners are totally icing on the cake!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. Maybe I should see if that Stevens-Perri firm is hiring being as they're local and all...

Ed S

Brilliant idea and it turned out really well.  Nice imitation Mossie.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Sisko

Nice modifiction job and a great Idea.

That would look good as some sort of COIN fighter bomber!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

K5054NZ

*blushes* aww thanks guys!

B777, yeah, I realised that AFTER I finished it! Totally unintentional, as my posts say! And yeah, if I wanted a scale replica I'd go for either a Spit or a Mossie. Just gotta design one!

Brian - yeah, why not? I'm sure they'd be after a SPAT man.....btw thanks for the kind comments. My theory behind the red spinners is that EVERYONE customises their plane with red spinners!

Hobbes - yeah, good point! However, this was an American design, so Chevy powerplants are in far greater supply. Plus, I didn't think of that! Perhaps we can convince Dan Walker to reengine it when it arrives in the UK? ;)

Baz - thanks! I thought it'd be hopeless to try and replicate the birdcage of the full-scale Mosquito, and being a homebuilt I thought a bubble made sense. Plus, as Thomas quite correctly pointed out, there's this great similarity to the Hornet! Probably about right dimensions, too? I had taken pics next to my 1:48 Hasegawa Kittyhawk, but you can't actually see it in the shots here! I'll do some later on with the P-40, Buchon and semi-complete Mossie FB.VI. Stay tuned.

BTW I also posted this build at MM, ARC and Unofficial Airfix - ZERO comments! Unimaginative bunch!

K5054NZ

Ok, scale shots! Seen in the pics are the (all 1:48) Hasegawa P-40M, Academy HA.1112 Buchon and Airfix Mosquito FB.VI. As well as the new ZT Vacforms McCauley Mosquito :P.

B777LR

Quote from: K5054NZ on June 10, 2008, 08:33:36 PM
BTW I also posted this build at MM, ARC and Unofficial Airfix - ZERO comments! Unimaginative bunch!
Hahaha, perhaps you should go over and change the title into "1/48 scratchbuilt DH Hornet - Merlin Power"! ;D Im sure that would attract them :thumbsup:

I can imagine this plane with Turbo Props :wub: And LGBs :wub:

K5054NZ

Don't just imagine - DO! Here in Kiwiland, the Airfix Mossie is only $17*! Surely you'd have spare bits lying around to make your machine happen.... :cheers:

*by comparison the Tamiya 1:72 fighter offering is a whopping $42.99 :blink:! Why not spend the extra $12 and get the 1:48???!!!!!!

B777LR

Only Nz$17? In Denmark they sell it for 75 kr, or Nz$20  :thumbsup:

Tamiya is much worse. The 1/48 F-16C costs Nz$100, and the 1/48 Fi-156 Storch is Nz$112, so you see, your not bad off at all!

:cheers:

PS: May i recommend you the Airfix multi theme sets? An example, the 1/72 Swedish AF set contains 7 kits, but at a very reduced price per kit :thumbsup:

Edit: If you like aircraft that look like the Mosquito, check out this one:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=SAI%20KZ%20IV&distinct_entry=true

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

K5054NZ

;D Thanks Thomas! Hahaha very interesting aircraft, I like it!