US Army G-91, a tribute to BlackOps

Started by ysi_maniac, June 10, 2008, 06:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 17, 2008, 06:41:27 AM
Thanks to all of you!

BTW: I am thinking to equip this plane with two Mavericks. Would it need any bit to use them properly? I mean designators, rangefinders or the like.

No I don't think so: A-10s are pretty "avionics-lite" and they use Maverick. The only essentials are a TV screen in the cockpit to show the pilot what the TV/FLIR in the missile is seeing, and the appropriate control panel to allow him to steer the cross-hairs around and lock it on. The laser version needs a designator of course, but that can be provided by a FAC, so the CAS plane still doesn't need one itself (anyway, IIRC, the Laser-Maverick is only used by the USMC, not the US Army).

One useful bit of kit, which could be put in a G-91's nose at the expense of the recce cameras, would be a Laser Rangefinder and Marked Target Seeker (LRMTS) like on the Jaguar. This allows the HUD and weapon control system to use a FAC's target designation for any kind of attack: bombs, rockets, guns etc.... Alternatively, you could always have a Pave Penny pod scabbed under the nose, A-7-style.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Yeah, the A-4M has a 'laser spot tracker' in the nose.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Isn't the A-4M kit basically the ARBS (Angle Rate Bombing System) that's also used in the Harrier II?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

I think your right, it's largely the same kit.  Earlier A-4M's seem to have had a lens in the nose similar to Harrier GR.5's, later ones seem to have had various fairings & 'tusks' similar to the GR.7.  I'm no expert on A-4's, but that's what it seems like to me.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Scooterman

you guys are right.  The ARBS and weapons computer was developed for the A-4M and the Marines were impressed enough with it to have it installed in the AV-8Bs.

ysi_maniac

Ok, this will not be ready on time :banghead: :banghead: procrastination attacks again.

But you will see the result asap

bttb, this is current status :thumbsup: :cheers:

ysi_maniac

btw: today I am adding a transparent nose tip  :thumbsup:

Weaver

That's looking very promising Ysi!  :thumbsup:

That hexagonal-section sprue is a gift for electronics pods, isn't it?  ;D

- Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

Hi MODS,

I will not finish this project today :banghead: :banghead: . So, can you move this thread to Current and Finished Projects ?
Anyway I will try to finish asap, cos I really like this model :thumbsup:

Thanks

sotoolslinger

I like it too and my MiGina the second will also not be finished on time so we can have our own little unofficial Didn't make it in on time GB ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Yeah, please finish it Ysi: it's an interesting idea.

The "Didn't Make the GB" GB sounds interesting, but how would you organise it? (a deadline would be irrelevent....) :huh: :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

nev

Too bad you won't finish it on time Carlos, cos it looks killer.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

van883

I am looking forward to the result!

Van