1914 Republic of Texas Battle Flyer 1

Started by sotoolslinger, June 12, 2008, 04:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

As for paint, may i suggest some kind of green (like on UH-1s in Vietnam) on the top, with light blue on the bottom? :wub:

Brian da Basher

Ok you're probably miles ahead of us and have the paint scheme figured out, Toolslinger, but might I suggest a Texas version of the old Italian "Sand and Spinach" or "Smokering" pattern?

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

BdaB you may suggest anything  :bow: especially since I am way behind the curve on this one . I have only vaguely thought about how to paint this one .I was actually thinking something bright and gaudy  ;D But you will have to 'splain please cause I have no idea what the camo patterns your talking about look like..... how bout some pics or links :thumbsup:
Definitely gonna have the Texas roundels though :wub: :party: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

Here's two examples, Sand and Spinach on top and Smoke Ring below:

Good luck!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Dangit ,BdaB I get the dreaded red x  :banghead: :banghead:feel free to pm me with suggestions.
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Post edited, sorry about that.

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

MMMMM Tasty  :wub: :wub: I'm torn both make me hungry :bow: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

No I have not forgotten about this one , nor is it a zombie  ;D I have been giving it (almost) daily attention between the Mstang and Hellstorm but most of what I have gotten done is boooring ,PSR. Mostly cause I got way ahead of myself on this build.

It looks a lot better in pics than in real life

Need's more PSR
The spats suck less

But not all that much less

The bottom is the nightmare I thought it would be

Take's every file and sanding stick in the arsenal

It really looks worse if you could see it

The good news is I'm a stubborn prick and I still like it ,plus BdaB gave me such good ideas for the paint job I'm gonna finish it  :wacko:
I have to just so I can write the backstory and I already have the tandem wing ,radial ,spatted FURY planned :wacko: :wacko:
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

ooohhhh those spats are gorgeous!!!
:wub: :wub: :wub:
I'm having some very deep spat-envy here Toolslinger.

Is the top wing glued down? If it is, you're about to discover why experienced biplane builders always paint (and decal) everything before attaching the upper wing.

This project is more fun to watch than cable TV!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Yeah BdaB that is a lesson I am learning the (very) hard way. Everything you see was glued up within the first 2 days. It's my first bi-plane and I just had to make it a major kitbash :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: So now I get to learn how to sand ,paint, and mark around all that danged detailing :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

You always manage to improvise, adapt and overcome with seeming ease Toolslinger and I have no doubt you'll do so with this incredible project!

Unless you've got a set of Mike Grant's Smoke Ring decals, it seems the Sand and Spinach camo option would be easiest to pull off, especially since the bird is already assembled.

Eagerly awaiting more and wishing you great success,
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Yeah I've been eyeballin both schemes in my reference books . But this is also a major Whiff ,from Texas, and it's a metal clad bi-plane so I can get away with major oddity :wacko: :wacko: I think it will look cool :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Still working this one.

Just a bunch of really complex PSR since I just had to put all the effin details on all at once

I actually got everything smooth (no thanks to me)

Sweet spats
I think I will start paint tomorrow ;D
I amuse me.

Jeffry Fontaine

Can not help but ask yourself when you look at the I-16 and ask; What if the GB Racer had joined the Army Air Corps?

If you had mentioned your spat problem sooner, I would have suggested to try out some of those plastic spoons that you can get from the local grocery stores.  Usually in individual packages and available with the purchase of soup and other stuff that needs a spoon instead of a fork.  I sent a bunch of them to Brian last month and for most of his projects they are a bit large but your 1/48th scale I-16 would have been a perfect candidate for some spoon spats. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Brian da Basher

That last spat shot is a total keeper, Toolslinger! I'm glad to see you making progress on your Battle Flyer!

Brian da Basher

P.S. Those little spoons Mr Fontaine mentioned are great to work with and would indeed make ideal spats!