1914 Republic of Texas Battle Flyer 1

Started by sotoolslinger, June 12, 2008, 04:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

I really like your Republic of Texas markings, Toolslinger! If you're using Sharpies, they make blue ones and blue fine-tip ones too. The fine-tip ones should allow you to carry that darker blue closer to the edge. Most office supply stores should carry them. Alternatively, you could get a fine paintbrush and try painting out around the star by hand with acrylic paint.

Those markings are just perfect for your Battle Flyer! I just love watching you build your latest wonder!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

You better like it it's yours ;D actually that's about 3 different decals, a british roundel, a quarter of a Hinomaru and a tiny US roundel with the remainder hand painted. I just didn't have the right color blue and it's still wet when I took the photo. I might try sharpies on the next one. If I wasn't totally useless on a computer I would just learn how to download and size the image you sent me and print it on decal paper :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

HTSR!!! (Holy Texas Smoke Rings!!!)

Man, this is a superb build!!!

You have this bad habit of achieving the impossible in each successive build. Where's your limit?! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I definitely love that camo scheme. And the struts!! Ah, the struts!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Rafa
(shaking his head in disbelief) :banghead:
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 03, 2008, 04:40:50 PM
If I wasn't totally useless on a computer I would just learn how to download and size the image you sent me and print it on decal paper :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If all goes as planned, I should be able to assist you both with Texas roundel decals in about a week or two.  That is, if you plan any further, future Republic Of Texas ("ROT"???) subjects....    :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Actually I just keep getting better ideas and I also keep learning from everyone on this site. I hope to never peak at building (see my custom sig)  ;D If I ever get as good as say HOG ,JHM, The ONE ,or Eddie M or any number of other builders on this site...... well then I guess I'll have to start doing profiles for others to build ;D ;D ;D
I did actually download the German COA from my Photobucket onto decal paper for the MSTANG build but I don't have Photoshop so it took 1 page per decal.... like I said I'm just learning this newfangled tech stuff :banghead: :banghead:
JScreamingRat if you can teach me to do it I'll come to Canada and wash your car ;D ;D(not really we all know Canada still uses sled dogs) ;D ;D
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 03, 2008, 06:33:27 PM
Actually I just keep getting better ideas and I also keep learning from everyone on this site. I hope to never peak at building (see my custom sig)  ;D If I ever get as good as say HOG ,JHM, The ONE ,or Eddie M or any number of other builders on this site...... well then I guess I'll have to start doing profiles for others to build ;D ;D ;D
I did actually download the German COA from my Photobucket onto decal paper for the MSTANG build but I don't have Photoshop so it took 1 page per decal.... like I said I'm just learning this newfangled tech stuff :banghead: :banghead:
JScreamingRat if you can teach me to do it I'll come to Canada and wash your car ;D ;D(not really we all know Canada still uses sled dogs) ;D ;D

Ahem, Sir, I'll have you know that we use sledCATS, not dogs.  I can re-size images for you if you want to fiddle with printing your own decals.  You have my home e-mail; just let me know how small you want the final images you send me.  Use millimeters (those are the itty-bitty markings on the side of the ruler you don't normally use down there).

sotoolslinger

I would never get my cat to associate with enough other animals to pull a sled  ;D she don't even like me :banghead: Actually I may have a solution for my printing problem tomorrow.
More news later ;D :wub:
Millimeters..... those are those things that cannons are measured in :blink: :party:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Initial use of the Rot BF-1 in Europe were favorable, however the Texicans would not release the aircraft for general use , insisting that it only be flown by RoT mercenary pilots and maintained by Texican crews. This created a certain unfamiliarity in the German ranks as well as a definite tension between the Kaisers military and their supposed allies. Several incidents occured where returning Texican aircraft were fired upon by ground troops were caused by misidentification of their aircraft. More than once RoT pilots then strafed their allies troops in retaliation or in similar misunderstanding.
The German govt decreed that all aircraft in service of the Kaiser must be marked with at least 1 German cross on the underside ,visible to ground troops .
The fiercely independant Texan pilots receiving this edict looked at their aircraft, looked at the German aircraft and complied by painting the largest possible German cross on the planes and then proceeding to paint as many Texican markings and individual artwork as they could find paint for.

Hey look I remembered to paint behind the self printed decals this time ;D

Identification for German troops :rolleyes:

Just to make sure
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Love the markings and that paintjob, Toolslinger!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Ed S

Looks good.  The latest decal work really adds to the overall appearance.  Glad to see you found a way to make it work.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

HOG

Hiya SoToolSli,

Only just found this and what can I say. Love the interplane struts, looks like you don`t adjust the seat height but raise or lower the upper wing for the pilot. Same with the undercart, rough airstrip crank the spats out. As to the paint fenomin...phonomen....phenominga...good but would have looked cool in very very off white. Perhaps there may be a very very off dayfighter in the pipeline for this colour.
Now as to that squiggle if you wire him into position and dip into some diluted PVA, you`ve got a pilot figure with a ready made furry flighing jacket, no painting required.

Now please slow down so I can keep up ;D
Cheers :drink:
Gary
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Thanks all ya'll ;D Gary you posted too late .This morning I started a long wingspan BF-109 SORRY :banghead:Hey I'll build it slow ok ;D ;D
I amuse me.

HOG

A 109H thats cooooool,
As well as slow build could you type slower as I can`t read very fast ;D

I`ll try to keep up with one as its a 109
Cheers  :drink:
Gary
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sequoiaranger

I really like this model, so don't think I'm criticizing:

Everyone knows that Texans like their six-shooters. I had thought you might have put a shiny Nebelwerfer-type cylinder (see pic)  either atop the wing or interplane.  The excuse for the huge engine would be to pull the admittedly un-aerodynamic mass through the air about as fast as "normal" biplanes.

Maybe a prejudice of mine given my former occupation, but couldn't you incorporate the "Ranger" title somewhere on your plane, like "Texas Air Rangers"---kinda like the 1950's US planes had "US AIR FORCE" splashed across the plane? The backstory being that the Republic of Texas had the well-known "Texas Rangers" become the police AND military arm of the Republic. Maybe there is a 1/48-scale figure of "Walker" that you could use as a pilot!!  :mellow:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

John Howling Mouse

Love the way you used the decal printing registry crosshairs over the "Just say NO to Uncle Sam" markings.
This is a lot of fun watching you create, STS.  Keep it up!   :thumbsup: