The Handley Page Centinary theme build!

Started by Howard of Effingham, June 16, 2008, 01:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Now for a sideways excursion into the truly weird:
the HP-120 Flying Jeep Type B., powered by not one but three engines...
two RR turbines for lift and flight and a 100hp Coventry Climax petrol engine for ground travel.

I'll return later with some Boundary Layer Control projects.

Cheers

You cannot view this attachment.

jcf

Just for general info, an H-P drawing of the Hampden structural breakdown.

JonYou cannot view this attachment.

jcf

Another one-off concept, a small civil transport derivative of the HP 75 Manx.

Jon

jcf

Some BLC (Boundary Layer Control) projects Part 1
Sir Frederick came to believe that establishing true laminar flow through the use of Boundary Layer Control was the way to achieve  economical aerial transportation. Basically the air on the surface of the wing was sucked into the wing through a perforated surface and ducted elsewhere, the result was smooth, laminar flow over the wings.

Two variations on the HP 113 Executive Transport concept, the 3-view is the earlier form.

Two of several HP 117 flying wing variations.

Jon

jcf

BLC, Part 2:

The HP 135 global range transport, podded turbojets under the wings to laminarise the wings, T-tail laminarised by the four ducted-fan main propulsion turbojets installed in the tail, span of 205' and all-up weight of 475,000 lb.
100,00 lbs cargo at Mach 0.875 over 7,300 nautical miles.

Jon

Howard of Effingham

;D so is this GB on then BdB?  ;D

me and JCF moderating?

:tank: :tank: btw, is there a 1/1 a/c type that you wouldn't dare put spats on?  :tank: :tank:

Keeper of George the Cat.

kitbasher

Oh crabs! So far I've just about fought off the temptation to get a Revell Heyford as whiffing stock but now I guess I need to get one just in case this GB runs.
Hope it does, and that imaginary whifs of real HPs will be eligable.
When's a decision likely? ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on July 02, 2008, 01:40:28 AM
;D so is this GB on then BdB?  ;D

me and JCF moderating?

:tank: :tank: btw, is there a 1/1 a/c type that you wouldn't dare put spats on?  :tank: :tank:

Last word from Comrade Anthony (our GB Comissar) was that it will be a while before any new GB suggestions get added to the GB Poll. If you want to have an Official What-If Handely-Page GB, then you'll have to wait. There's always the option of doing it un-officially. This and the Trainers with Teeth ideas are the two GB ideas that inspire me most.

Brian da Basher

Howard of Effingham

ok, BdB.

i'll PM the GB commissar pdq.

trevor

[who must build a model with spats now as a penance......  :wub:]

kitnut617

Out of interest --- in the very latest issue of Air-Britain Aviation World, June 2008 (which arrived in the mail today), are two photos of a Halifax Mk.VII converted to a single tail fin and rudder. This apparently is serial number PN323 and the tail looks like a Hamilcar tail, and it's very big.  The nose of this Halifax is at the IWM while the rest of it being scrapped in 1961 with the proceeds going to the preservation of the nose.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Howard of Effingham

hmm, the GB commisar very nice man indeedy!

he says we might get a slot later in the year, but there is no reason why we shouldn't have a
'handley page' thread in the current projects section of this here site.

someone on this thread start her off please.

hmm, must get building something with spats.....  :wub: :thumbsup: :wub:

kitnut617

I've just received the Putmans book, Handley Page Aircraft since 1907, from a fellow member of Air-Britain
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Howard of Effingham

hmm, will post more details tommorrow but in this thread you can post all your completed HP builds...  :party:

i may act as moderator for this un-GB and BdB is naturally in charge of spats [who else could possibily do such
a spatastically hard job?..  ;D ;D ;D ;D ] others may help also.

me, i must dash now as

HP dart herald R2 in 98 sqn markings beckons [needs the paint job finishing]
HP victor B2 in TBD sqn markings but wraparound DSG and DG [still building]

both beckon as does finishing the decals on......

HP [hawker] P1121 first prototype    :ph34r:

and given freightdog862's announcement about an avro 720 model,  :thumbsup: will see if i can squeeze one under
a victor!  :tank:

bye!

trevor

[don't worry my hemp vulcan in 256 sqn markings can be used for the awesome avro's build... must finish the
blue water ASGW's too!]

Howard of Effingham

right then!

i need some staff for this.....

BdB is naturally in charge of spats [no one else can do the job!] and as a wifgm [no its no a whiff-gasm] or
what if global moderator tries to keep us all in order [not a chance!]

perhaps kitnut617 can post his HP kit list somewhere here, [ :cheers: robert  :cheers: ] and joncarrfarrelly [sp?]
can look after plans and such as he has a copy of the sacred text aka putnam's 'handley page aircraft since 1907'
if he likes.  :thumbsup:

the rules.....

#1 absoluely no avro's [naturally!], unless you can 100% handley page-ise it  :banghead:
#2 if u-like you can build some of the EE [handley page built] canberras. the serials i forget but jcf will remind us
     all as they are listed in the back of the sacred text.
#3 closing date is well a] the IPMS [USA] nats in columbus, OH for our friends in the colonies next year; and for
    the men from the motherland, i haven't decided as yet but am open to bribes.... honest!   :tank:
#4 enjoy yersself while building such fine aeronauticalia!  :ph34r:
#5 to keep the GB commisar happy, someone has to build a HP design in MIANG markings
#6 i have forgotten what rule #6 was.....

Brian da Basher