The Handley Page Centinary theme build!

Started by Howard of Effingham, June 16, 2008, 01:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Right Trev...

I'll be in for an unofficial GB.  Probably wont be doing a Jetstream since I've decided that the kit that kindly came my way from Steve will end up as an accurized and super-detailed model of the first J31 I flew, but I'm sure I can find something else.  I've always thought the Hampden was crying out for some sort of twin-boom treatment.  Or, given the timefram there should be plenty of time to find a Victor to put into service as a SAC B-59 during Operation Linebacker...    :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

Here we go Trevor,

This is a list of Handley Page aircraft that have been made into models (injection, vacuform and resin).  I am in no doubt that someone will point out a missed name, as in Jetstream  ;D but I've just taken it from the PAK-20 book (which the author has already mentioned in his intro that the book list is not 100% and is always being updated) so please feel free to add to it.

Dart Herald
HP.5
HP.42/45
HP.75
Halifax/Halton
Hampden/Hereford
Harrow/Sparrow
HP.88
HP.115
Hastings
Hermes
Heyford
Hyderabad/Hinadi
Victor
0/400

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

I've got a vintage 1/72 Airfix H-P 0/400 in the stash. The parts are still in the poly-bag. I've been very hesitant to build it as I know I'm going to whiff it!

I may have to pull it out for this group build though.

Brian da Basher

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 03, 2008, 02:14:08 PM
Out of interest --- in the very latest issue of Air-Britain Aviation World, June 2008 (which arrived in the mail today), are two photos of a Halifax Mk.VII converted to a single tail fin and rudder. This apparently is serial number PN323 and the tail looks like a Hamilcar tail, and it's very big.  The nose of this Halifax is at the IWM while the rest of it being scrapped in 1961 with the proceeds going to the preservation of the nose.
I recall seeing a photo of this particular Halifax (and if the airframe looks as though it's on jacks and the outer engine nacelles are missing perhaps it is the same photo) in Aircraft Illustrated donkeys years ago.  I seem to recall the caption saying it was used as a test bed (either by HP or the RAF), purely on the ground and something to do with radio (Pershore perhaps?).  The 'rudder' was robbed from another aircraft and I think it wasn't actually a rudder.

Anyway - this unofficial GB.  Any dates and can you confirm that it's either a whiffed HP design (real or projected/not built) or a non-HP design that is suitably HPed?

A Revell Heyford is beckoning, the spirit is weakening (subject to GB dates, the inner miser can muster hidden strength when needs be!). ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on July 11, 2008, 10:16:41 AM
I recall seeing a photo of this particular Halifax (and if the airframe looks as though it's on jacks and the outer engine nacelles are missing perhaps it is the same photo) in Aircraft Illustrated donkeys years ago.  I seem to recall the caption saying it was used as a test bed (either by HP or the RAF), purely on the ground and something to do with radio (Pershore perhaps?).  The 'rudder' was robbed from another aircraft and I think it wasn't actually a rudder.

That's pretty much what these two photos are of, the tail is jacked up but is on it's main wheels,  there's actually no engines on it at all and the tail fin has no rudder.  The text says it had no service record and was retained by HP at Radlett and was used by Standard Telephones and Cable for radio installation aerial tests.  There's no known reason why the single tail was installed which is shown guy wired in place, to keep it vertical I would imagine.  Like I said earlier it does look like a Hamilcar fin.

jcf

Quote from: Brian da Basher on July 11, 2008, 10:04:51 AM
I've got a vintage 1/72 Airfix H-P 0/400 in the stash. The parts are still in the poly-bag. I've been very hesitant to build it as I know I'm going to whiff it!

I may have to pull it out for this group build though.

Brian da Basher
You have many options as the O/400 formed the basis for several developments post-war including airliner conversions and new civil and military designs based off of the basic cell.

Jon

kitbasher

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Howard of Effingham

looks like we might need a forum of our own for this one.......  ;D

points duly noted.

i'm off to think about them all.

hmm, OTTOMH, some of the EE[HP] canberra's survived for many years. several were since in service until
at least 1991 as some made it to T17/T17A and TT18 standards with 360 sqn and 100 sqn. so there is
a nice variety of finishes possible.

back sometime.

but where is HP sauce made these days? it was perhaps the only decent thing that ever came out of b'ham!
Keeper of George the Cat.

Weaver

In the spirit of the Beaufighter, how about a Hampfighter? A-26B-style solid nose with many guns and an array of rockets under the wings and uprated engines? Lose two crew and the "can't swap places" argument fades anyway.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Been reading my Putman's De Havilland Aircraft book lately, after WW.I Handley Page bought up hundreds of war surplus aircraft, renovated them and re-sold them to other countries, including lots of DH.4's & 9's, many of which were converted by HP for their customers, and getting a HP number in the process.

Mossie

In danger of watering down Trev's suggestion here, but HP's Centenary coincides with that of British Aviation in general.  Short Bros are also 100 years old (apparently the worlds oldest serial aircraft manufacturer).  Along with the de Havilland GB, maybe this could be broadened into a Century of British Aviation GB?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Short Brothers aviation interests date 1887 when Eustace and Oswald bought a balloon, they later made their own.
They continued with balloons until 1908, at which point inspired by advances in heavier-than-air flight they finally got
brother Horace to join them (he was always dubious of balloons) and the new partnership of Short Brothers was
registered at Battersea in November 1908.
To begin with they built Wright based machines.

Jon

kitbasher

Quote from: kitbasher on July 11, 2008, 10:16:41 AM
A Revell Heyford is beckoning, the spirit is weakening (subject to GB dates, the inner miser can muster hidden strength when needs be!). ;D ;D
Or I might do a Heinkley Page light transport based on the Revell/Matchbox He 70. ;D ;D

Weaver

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 11, 2008, 01:36:19 AM
  I've always thought the Hampden was crying out for some sort of twin-boom treatment. 

Radar nose, nose glazing on the back of the fuselage pod, Defiant turret, cannons in the bomb-bay and Hercules engines: call it something "Back Widowish"; Handley Page Harridan? Haruspex?  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Last Hampden idea:

Since one of it's alleged problems was the inability to swop places, how about up-engining one with two Hercules and then widening the fuselage to match new cockpit and nose glazings taken from something else (Halifax?).

- Indiana Jones