B

Your first model

Started by B777LR, June 17, 2008, 02:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Like Aircav and Narses, I go a long way back into the last century.
My first kit, assembled with assistance, was the Kitmaster "Rocket" steam train, back in around 1958/9. Closely followed by my first own-build Airfix Spitfire.
On a "nostalgia" kick, I looked at an Airfix Supermarine S6B STILL in its original plastic bag/header a couple of weeks ago. From a friend's collection.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Hobbes

I think my first was a Morane-Saulnier MS 406. It's long gone, along with most of my early models. The oldest one I still have, is a Grumman Tigercat I butchered for the Piston Perfection GB

pyro-manic

Mine was a 1:72 Airfix Seasprite, built with the help of my dad. I must have been 5 or 6, so this is 1990-91 or thereabouts. I remember the smell of the Humbrol paints, and how good it looked when it was finished. Sadly it didn;t survive being played with by my younger brothers, and disintegrated some time afterwards. I think I still have the torpedo it carried somewhere in my bits box...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Geoff

Airfix Spitfire and Bf-109 in plastic bags cost 1s,3d (7P) each with help from my dad.

Nigel Bunker

In the fifties, on a caravan holiday in Ilfracombe, my father bought an Airfix galleon and made it for me.

The first kit I bought was from Woolworths in Reading (that was the days when Woolworths stocked every Airfix kit and even had made up models on display).I had saved 2 weeks pocket money (1s 6d a week) and I came home with an Airfix SR.53(2s 0d) and a tube of weldtite glue (7d) in a brown paper bag. For those too young to remember shillings and pence, that was about 13p. The kit was in white plastic so obviously it did not need painting.The nose probe lasted at least 5 minutes and heaven only knows what happened to it. Happy days.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

GTX

Not sure, but I think it was a 1/72, Airfix Harrier GR.3.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Excalibur

A 1/72 scale bagged Revell Corsair. It was already blue so did not require painting! It would have been about 1982(ish) I was 9 or 10.

Brian da Basher

It took me all week to remember, but my first kit was the 1/28 scale Revell Sopwith Camel in the Great Waldo Pepper boxing. I think I was seven or eight. A year later, I swapped out the wings with ones from a Heinkel 111.

Wow that really shows my age.

Brian da Basher

Patrick H

Not sure what was the first kit annymore. I do remember it beeing in one of those little plastic bags. Airfix or Frogg. Had several of them I do remember that.

This one is the oldest, and only one from those days I still have. As you can see, I have moved up from 1/72 to 1/48 by now. It must be over 35 years old by now. No clue of the manufacturer though.

My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

Geoff

lancer

My first kits were the Airfix Rocket steam engine. I remember it was moulded in yellow plaxstic and came in one of thier blister packs and an Airfix Hussar which was in white plastic. I remember the hussar as the horse was modelled as rearing up and I thought it was really cool. There have been liteerally hundreds since them, but I reember those two with a certain fondness.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

philp

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 22, 2008, 02:55:18 PM
That Stuka is the Revell kit I think.

If it was 1/48th and 35 years ago, would be the Monogram kit.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

Quote from: lancer on June 22, 2008, 02:19:57 PM
My first kits were the Airfix Rocket steam engine. I remember it was moulded in yellow plaxstic and came in one of thier blister packs and an Airfix Hussar which was in white plastic. I remember the hussar as the horse was modelled as rearing up and I thought it was really cool. There have been liteerally hundreds since them, but I reember those two with a certain fondness.

I think the rearing horse was the Curassier, had all of the 54mm figure kits. It was nice to see them re-issue the ECW ones last year
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Arc3371

My first kits were PZL P.37 & P.11c from some Polish companies that friends of my parents gave me when I was 7 or 8 after their trip to Poland, I know that me and my dad badly botched the P-11 and the P.37 was KIA fighting my cat...

Patrick H

QuoteIf it was 1/48th and 35 years ago, would be the Monogram kit.

It is 1/48 and the longer I think about it the more I am convinced it is indeed Monogram.

:cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air