BronCobra........DONE !

Started by Captain Canada, June 20, 2008, 12:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Nice one! Uniquely original concept... :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on June 20, 2008, 09:10:28 PM
Just a little extra question: what about anti-torque...? :huh:
I guess, either:
- the starboard engine has more power/rpm than the port one
- the direction of the propellers is very slightly oblical
- the rotor is power-less just freely rotating for STOL lift (but what are the pod turbine exhausts for?)
Anyway, I love it, as a desk model, love it so much... :wub:
Dear Captain, your model is wonderful for our eyes, but our brains would like to admire as well... Could you tell us: is this an autogyro? What are the pod turbines for? aircon? or NOTAR with one turbine blowing and the other inspiring? The explanation may be funny, just tell us, imagine... :lol:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Sorry Tophe ! I forgot to reply to that one.....

Not sure about the physics of it all, just thought it would look cool. I suppose I thought that with two props, they would somehow couteract the torque. I imagined it as having all four engines producing power....and it would fly much like the Rorodyne.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 23, 2008, 11:50:09 AM
Not sure about the physics of it all, just thought it would look cool. I suppose I thought that with two props, they would somehow couteract the torque. I imagined it as having all four engines producing power....and it would fly much like the Rorodyne.
I like the Rorodyne name, mistyping may be funny too...
Uh, I tried to understand, with Google, asking this aircraft name:
1/ pictures: 2 propellers+1 single rotor+0 anti-torque rotor, this seemed to be the Broncobra forefather, yes!
2/ texts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Rotodyne : "the Rotodyne featured a jet-tipped powered rotor burning fuel with compressed air bled from two wingtip mounted Napier Eland turboprops"... All falls down for the Rotodyne/Broncobra family: 2 engines/4 engines, jet-tipped powered rotor/axial powered rotor...
Well, good try anyway, try again... ;D
The Fairey Gyrodyne may be a better forefather, while having only one asymmetric propeller for anti-orque... Maybe with 2 (slightly) oblical propellers, this could be the same, no?
Anyway, the Broncobra is a marvellous prototype (strongly enriching the twin-boom family), that I would love even if she is unable to fly... The US Marines that bought it (in your dreams?) would be simply naive... (do you say in English: "green"?), spending taxpayer's money for beauty ;D

Captain Canada

Quote from: Tophe on June 23, 2008, 08:41:12 PM
would be simply naive... spending taxpayer's money

Well, they are used to it.....just think Comanche !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ChernayaAkula

What a cool concept!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 23, 2008, 11:50:09 AM
Quote from: Tophe on June 20, 2008, 09:10:28 PM
Just a little extra question: what about anti-torque...? :huh:
<...>

Not sure about the physics of it all, just thought it would look cool. I suppose I thought that with two props, they would somehow couteract the torque. <...>

That's how the Eurocopter X3 does it.  :thumbsup: It also doesn't have a tail rotor and relies on differing pitch setting of the props to provide an anti-torque effect.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Thanks guys. It was a fun build...and it sure took me long enough !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Librarian

Must have missed this one first time round. Whacky, whiffy and wantable ;D. Really works for me, however mad. Two great a/c for the price of one :thumbsup:.

Captain Canada

lol thanks guys ! Oldy but a goody I guess  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

FAR148

Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2008, 05:39:26 AM
Proof positive that it's possible for something to be both butt-ugly and droolingly sexy!  :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Yeah, what he said!

Very cool!
Steven L

Old Wombat

Wow, totally missed this one. :-X

:blink: :blink:

Quote from: FAR148 on August 11, 2015, 03:23:09 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2008, 05:39:26 AM
Proof positive that it's possible for something to be both butt-ugly and droolingly sexy!  :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Yeah, what he said!

Very cool!
Steven L

Totally agree! :thumbsup:

;D :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

I also add my renewed congratulations! :wub: :wub:
Such models are just the perfect symbol of why I love what-ifism (or what-ifery?): surprising harmony and probable efficiency, enriched families and missing links, in an extra World, free, without sad command to focus only on what is true.
Thanks again: a million thanks! :bow: