F-19 Stealth Fighter (Monogram, Revell, and Testor's)

Started by Radish, September 14, 2002, 06:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathjester

Thought you might like to see a desert camo scheme for the F-19.

david sMiGielski

I have an unbuilt F-19 in my stash and I'm kind of at a loss as to how to build it (I mean what scheme, not how to put it together). I'd like to do it as a USAF bird, but black and gray are such dull schemes. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty open minded at this point.

-David
How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

Radish

I once built an Israeli 3-colour one, with black undersurfaces wrapping round the top colours, meeting in a wavy demarcation line. That looked cool.

If USAF, why not the SE Asia scheme in wraparound, or the Lizard scheme?

Or, why not an "Aggressor" scheme using the Blues/Greys, etc..?

Light Gloss Air Defence Grey with HIGH VISIBILITY markings?

One in a multi-tone PRIMER finish?

Zoom to an alternative universe:

Multi-panel Natural Metal scheme in the USAF, or Imperial Roman, or Spanish??
Luftwaffe 1946-type?

I must admit, a natural metal one, with lots of stencilling and bright markings sounds nice, and Imperial Roman Fasces sounds just wonderful to me.

Back on real Earth, what about a Royal Danish AF one, with multi-tone Olive Drab and LOTS, LOTS of weathering! Or the same with Norwegian markings?

Why not RAF Gulf War in Desert Pink? Or a Desert Pink USAF one?

AZTEC GOLD one...multi-toned GOLD, BRASS, etc? BLACK SUN markings? :wacko:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: david sMiGielski on February 10, 2008, 10:50:37 AMI have an unbuilt F-19 in my stash and I'm kind of at a loss as to how to build it (I mean what scheme, not how to put it together). I'd like to do it as a USAF bird, but black and gray are such dull schemes. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty open minded at this point.

I found problems with both versions of the F-19.  Testor's and Monogram F-19 kits are both too small for the stated scales and would both be better off if it was treated to a bit of scale-o-rama by converting to a smaller scale subject. 

With the 1/48th scale Monogram kit you could scale it down to a 1/72nd scale aircraft and it would certainly look better proportioned as a 1/72nd scale aircraft.  The Testor's kit, well to be honest, I have not given much consideration on how to best approach that subject at this time.

The 1/48th scale Monogram kit has the rotary weapons bay feature which suck.  The rotating door or is that a pallet?  This feature needs to be replaced with a proper two piece weapons bay door configuration to allow for more internal volume so you can carry something other than the 'Mini-Me' missile shape.  Creating a pair of doors from the kit part is simple enough if you cut them in half length-wise and add some features to the inside to suggest internal framing and the actuating mechanism.  Another potential source for a set of doors for the 1/48th scale kit is from the Monogram F-106 kit since this kit has both the opened and closed doors as a build option.  These doors can be cut to fit the length of the weapons bay cavity.  Then next obstacle to overcome is trying to create something that will pass for the interior of the weapons bay.  Here you are pretty much given a blank canvas and your imagination to fill in the blank space. 

If you build the kit as a 1/72nd scale aircraft, there is sufficient room for several 2000 pound bomb shapes in the weapon bay.  If you stick with the 1/48th scale model, you will be hard pressed to get a pair of AMRAAM shapes to fit inside the space available, let alone a large bomb shape.  This is where the imagination really comes in handy and possibly with the current focus on smaller bombs to reduce the collateral damage effects on urban targets, you can get away with adapting something that will pass for modern precision guided munitions such as the Small Diameter Smart Bombs now under development. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Quote from: Radish on February 11, 2008, 03:26:08 AM
I once built an Israeli 3-colour one, with black undersurfaces wrapping round the top colours, meeting in a wavy demarcation line. That looked cool.

If USAF, why not the SE Asia scheme in wraparound, or the Lizard scheme?

Or, why not an "Aggressor" scheme using the Blues/Greys, etc..?

Light Gloss Air Defence Grey with HIGH VISIBILITY markings?

One in a multi-tone PRIMER finish?

Zoom to an alternative universe:

Multi-panel Natural Metal scheme in the USAF, or Imperial Roman, or Spanish??
Luftwaffe 1946-type?

I must admit, a natural metal one, with lots of stencilling and bright markings sounds nice, and Imperial Roman Fasces sounds just wonderful to me.

Back on real Earth, what about a Royal Danish AF one, with multi-tone Olive Drab and LOTS, LOTS of weathering! Or the same with Norwegian markings?

Why not RAF Gulf War in Desert Pink? Or a Desert Pink USAF one?

AZTEC GOLD one...multi-toned GOLD, BRASS, etc? BLACK SUN markings? :wacko:

Olive "body", yellow extremities and USAAF stars with the red dot in the middle............ ;D

I've got the remains of a nearly-built Italieri 1/48th one lying around (one of the few things to excape the Great Stash Throw Out) but I don't know if it's finishable. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Shasper

This is how I got around the Testors size issue:

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Sauragnmon

I've got a 1/72 Italeri F-19 inbound to my own stash soon, landing in a week and a bit.  Here's my thoughts, those who've built, I could appreciate feedback.

I'm thinking of the F-19 as a Weasel craft, designed to slip in when it can't be picked up by radar, to disable enemy radar and soften the ADZ for the heavyweights.  Anybody who happens to have some HARMs got an idea if I can fit more than one inside the weapons bay?  I'm doubting it, but I figured I'd ask if there might be some way to stagger the missiles, or partially recess them inside an angle-walled trapesoidal bay so they retract to the angled walls, with option instead for carrying a bomb payload on the top flat wall.

Just bouncing some thoughts around.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Shasper

You'd be better off either mounting the HARMs externally or coming up with a newer, more compact ARM for your idea mate, 'cuz only 1 HARM will fit in the weapons bay (even then you'd have to fold the fins up). Might want to try some british ALARMS instead.

Another thought, but rig up some external Air Launched Decoys (or better yet, some ALDs that have a passive radar seeker head), that would really screw with the SAM operators ;)

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

philp

Did anyone else ever think that the stealth plan in "Red Storm Rising" was the Testor's version?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: philp on September 17, 2008, 09:37:06 PM
Did anyone else ever think that the stealth plan in "Red Storm Rising" was the Testor's version?

Absolutely! first thing i thought when i read it.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

Hmm... I was hoping I could stretch it and fit two... thus the concept of widening the weapons bay with a trapezoidal layout and mounting the two in the stretch.  The HARM was my thought because it was the one I would have quickest access to.  I don't know what the next gen HARM is going to be based from, but I doubt it'll be a short and widebody missile.  Hmm... not sure what else to consider.  I was thinking of sprucing it up a little, and the thought of a Stealth SEAD bird made a hell of an idea in my head.  Low risk, high reward.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

deathjester

I would fill the weapons bay with either hellfire/brimstone, or you could use 1:35th scale RPG rockets to simulate small diameter bombs. You could also use asraam missiles if you can get them

deathjester

the revell f-19 in will only accept two mavericks,but I think you could squeeze in eight hellfires, maybe more if you attach some to the weapons bay doors. Alternatively, you could fit rocket tubes in the doors like the f-102 had.

Sauragnmon

Hmm... I don't have the kit or equipment in front of me right now, so I can't do more than nod currently.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't there look like aftward expansion possibility on the fuselage, stretch the payload bay back for an extra section?  Widen the bay out some, put in a second original-width payload bay?  Not sure how beneficial rockets would be to the RAM on the fuselage though, but perhaps a thought.

Do you guys think it would be overkill to do it up in Have Glass?  At least the cockpit, just to give it that nice gold-tone look to it.  I'll have to do more thinking when I acquire the kit in a week and a bit.

deathjester

the only problem I can see with extending the weapons bay in any dimension is that it will seriously eat int the available space for fuel,engines and avionics,not to mention potentially screwing up the CoG.  What you could do if you want to do that is actually graft on some wing extensions,because IMHO, the fighter is too small in 1:72nd scale!  It needs a longer nose,and bigger wings. Then it would look more....believable.