Whiffers ultimate (insane) challenge: 1/144 aircraft carrier

Started by Spey_Phantom, June 22, 2008, 07:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan H.

OMG!  You're really gonna do it - yeah!  :thumbsup:  I'll look forward to the updates.

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE:

its official, im going through with this, today, the first styrene parts for the main building have been cut out  :mellow:
the first steps in a long way to go.
these plates will now be reworked, drilled and detailed before putting the whole thing together.

furthermore, i have made a profile of 1 of the aircraft that will be based on the dendermonde, here what the avenger would look like, im planning to build 3 of them  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Patrick H

Looks good Nils. Love the Avenger in those colors. But don't forget to put the Force Naval on the other side. Or you'll be in big trouble (lol)

:cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

Spey_Phantom

ok, last update for today.

after the styrene has been cut, it was time to engrave the panel lines, using a hobbyknife and an aluminium linial, to make sure the lines are straight.
afterwards, ive introduced my dremel to the project, now the windows have been drilled its time to put them all together.
although she's starting to look like a carriers island, there's still a lot of work to be done.

Quote from: Patrick H on June 28, 2008, 12:31:11 PM
Looks good Nils. Love the Avenger in those colors. But don't forget to put the Force Naval on the other side. Or you'll be in big trouble (lol)

:cheers:
i am well aware of this problem, thats why i design my decals before i get the planes.
if you look at the picture of the decals below, you see that i made enough zeemacht/force navale decals for 16 planes  ;D
i know its propably to much, but its better to have a few spares just in case  :rolleyes:

anyway, picture time. first 2 pics, the progres and detail on the island.
on the other pic, the design for the decals  :mellow:
possibly no progress tomorrow, im of to the naval days in Zeebrugge, maybe come back with some new inspiration and pics  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

after a day of absence, i an now ready to continue with the contruction with more insperation.
after seeing the actual build model of the 1/72 flower class vessel on the zeebrugge naval days, i saw that it was ideal for 1/144 carrier conversion.

using the diagram provided by our friend, joncarrfarrelly, i can start early hull-expention development.
after printing out the bottom diagram in full 1/72 scale, i will now see how far i can develop the undership hangar storage or other possible features.

here's the pictures of the 3 styrene plates i will use to build the deck, with the current in construction main island on top (with a 1/144 avanger for comparison). next to it, the diagram of the hull  :mellow:

looks like i got my work cut out when the kit arrives  :rolleyes:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

final update for today,

i finished fitting the clear glass parts for the tower, dont be fooled by the full glass, it still needs to be painted.
furthermore, i recieved confirmation for my order (HMCS Snowberry + the first 2 planes). transfered the money tonight, so delivery should be by friday or next monday.

here's a picture of the tower

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

The Rat

Quote from: Nils on June 22, 2008, 12:50:17 PM
(minor) Change of plans:

looking at the fact that by building your own hull, the technical problems will be inmense.
it is therefor i have decided not to build my own hull :(
instead, i plan to buy a RoG 1/72 HCMS Snowberry, and use the hull for the carrier.
instead of 121cm, she will be about 90cm, but thats still an impressive length.

Don't want to increase you workload, but can you put a 31cm plug in the middle of it to get the original length you wanted? Might require a widening though to keep the right sort of shape, could be tough, but it's a thought.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: The Rat on June 30, 2008, 02:53:57 PM
Don't want to increase you workload, but can you put a 31cm plug in the middle of it to get the original length you wanted? Might require a widening though to keep the right sort of shape, could be tough, but it's a thought.

i thought i mentioned this in an earlier post, i might concidering puting in an extendtion in the build, after seeing this pic of the in-box model, it seems that extentionwork is very easy to perform on this kit

http://picasaweb.google.com/mtubatuba/ModelOfHMCSSnowberry/photo#5074978430260112130

it can be a good iea, but i will need to get more styrene plates, and that wont be possible ti'll next tuesday as the LHS in on holiday  :rolleyes:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

The Rat

Quote from: Nils on July 01, 2008, 03:17:12 AMi thought i mentioned this in an earlier post, ...

Yes, I just noticed that you did, my mistake. Not the first time I've done that either, sorry.

Move along folks, nothing to see here, just Rat embarrassing himself again.  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Spey_Phantom

BACKFIRE  :banghead:

after recieving the kit today, one huge bummer was found, rather then recieving a front half and a rear half of the ship, i found out i have 2 rear halves, although the ship will be longer with this, it would be stupid to build a ship with 2 rears  :rolleyes:

i have now e-mailed revell about the error and asked if it would be possible to send the 2 missing parts of the front hull  :rolleyes:

dont believe me, take a look for yourselves  ;D

but what to do with the other half  :rolleyes:

.................thinking........

IDEA: ENFORCER CLASS FRIGAT (small)  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

The Rat

Nah, ya got it all wrong. It was built to travel at equal speed in both directions!  :wacko:

B777LR

Doesnt EU trade laws say that Revell has to send you the missing parts, or repay you?

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE:

although im mainly stressed right now with the profiles and 1week GB's, i managed to find some time to continue "Full Scale Testing"  ;D

although im still waiting for the front parts of the ship to arrive, i went ahead with some "dry testing".
the 2 "arses" of the ship is bieng held together by clamps and is bieng kept rightup by a Lego drydock.
as you can see, this F*ckers gonna be huge :rolleyes:

meanwhile, i also started to look at a supersonic aircraft to suplement the FJ-3 and avengers. the idea for an F-8 has been binned because a resin is to expensive for me, i decided to go ahead with an F-4B phantom.
to develop the "4E to B" conversion, im using an old writen-off F-4E from my AMARC  ;D
the Belgian F-4B might also recieve the same RWR box on the tail as with the RAF/RN F-4K/M.
the nose is bieng kept on by Pritt, just to see if it fits the conversion.
up to now, the conversion development is going well  :thumbsup:

the full production conversion to B-model will be done on a newly bought F-4E still to buy.

and then finally the island, dont be fooled by the sloppy paint, there's still improvment coming. the windows were painted just to see how hard it would be apply the paint.
the island will propably be spraypainted, just like the rest of the ship.
furthermore, the runway will also recieve a "glow in the dark" paintjob on the yellow landing lines.

and for those who wonder how the layout and colors of the deck will look like, it should be something like the dutch Karel Doorman (later the Argentine "De Mayo" carrier)

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.