O

Not Just Things with Wings: Other forms of Wiffing....A Challenge

Started by Overkiller, June 22, 2008, 01:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Inspired by a smaller-scale effort studied, but not built, by the ATSF railroad, I'm looking at doing a streamlined cab-in-front version of a Union Pacific Big Boy finished in the two-tone gray with silver trim colors of their 1940's passenger units.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Mossie

Sounds good Evan.  I'm not a train nut, but I've always liked the lines of streamliner steam trains, like the Mallard & the other A4 locos.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

elmayerle

Well, I admit I was inspired by an encyclopedia of ATST locomotives, including artists conceptions of ones studied  but not even prototyped.  I'm using the HO gauge Big Boy kit from Monogram et al. and a streamlined cab from a model railroad source.  It's going to look good and if I can find the proper cars, I may consider doing a whiffed dome-observation car, too; again aptterned after a smaller scale experiment on the part of the ATSF.

jcf

Evan,
what is the title of the ATSF encyclopedia and do have copies of the drawings of any of the proposed machines?

Steamlined trains and that whole era of design has long been a personal passion (and Streamline aint' Art Deco, dammit).

Jon

Daryl J.

Jon, one year the Forest Grove, OR Concourse d'Elegance theme was Streamliners.    It was awesome!

Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on July 25, 2008, 11:47:33 PM
Jon, one year the Forest Grove, OR Concourse d'Elegance theme was Streamliners.    It was awesome!

Daryl J.

Man I woulda loved to have seen that.

Now on a nosy note, to where are you moving?

Cheers

elmayerle

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 25, 2008, 11:23:19 PM
Evan,
what is the title of the ATSF encyclopedia and do have copies of the drawings of any of the proposed machines?

Steamlined trains and that whole era of design has long been a personal passion (and Streamline aint' Art Deco, dammit).

The engine in question was the only streamlined one and I've got a scan on my desktop back in Texas; unfortunately, that's rather inaccessible at the present time. :(

Daryl J.

Jon,

To be announced as it's still all up  in the air.   

And now back into regular programming.

How about whiffing buildings?   54mm and 1/48 both have enough support vehicles and figures now. 

Say a Watermelon Winery or a steam powered whiskey still which could be all clapped out or expensive new.

1/48 cars:   Tamiya US Army Staff Car converted to a motor coach similar to what the Queen uses......vertically enlarged cabin, lengthened, and chromed up.   White of course to be a counterpoint to the usual black.     Citroen Staff Car for Lupin III.    Citroen-meets-Bugatti 57c Atlantique Coupe and Cruella DeVille.

Daryl J.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Leigh

Pick ups, everyone needs a pick up truck! I've got a Pontiac G.T.O, the best looking of the '60s muscle cars that I'm gonna turn into a pick up. Robin Reliant pick up? Ferrari van?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Weaver

These have just been re-released by Testors - GOTTA have Whiff Potential:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Spaceships? Hovertanks? Aeroplanes? Even (good heavens!) racing cars?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

I don't know if they've been mentioned, but warships make for good Whiffery.  Some of the companies out there actually provide all sorts of extra equipment in the kits, giving even more access for whiffery.  Notable for this is Dragon, as they like to often put in whole Equipment Sets with a variety of weapons, which can make for good whiffage.  My thread's got plenty of ship whiffage, and there's more to come!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Hobbes

Quote from: Leigh on August 29, 2008, 07:58:59 AM
Ferrari van?

Barmy, but not without precedent. Ferrari did the 250 GT 'Breadvan':

Pininfarina built this 456 'Venice' for the Sultan of Brunei:

Mossie

The Lotus Europa had a similar layout to the 250 GT.  It's been discussed recentley, Ford had the Supervan 1, 2 & 3 which were capable of very high performance, I think 2 & 3 had versions of F1 engines at sometime in their lives.  And Porsche have done the Cayenne MPV in recent years so why not a Ferrari van??? :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Quote from: Weaver on September 30, 2008, 05:01:19 AM
These have just been re-released by Testors - GOTTA have Whiff Potential:

(Salt flats racers)

AFAIK, they are whiffs. There's no car named "Alky saltzer" that I can find.

Some models of real LSR cars would be nice. E.g. Golden Arrow, Bluebird, Thrust 2 and SSC. I'm rather partial to the JCB Dieselmax, as well.