Fairey Rotodyne

Started by Joe C-P, August 07, 2002, 11:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Here's some inspiration: BBC recordings of what the beast sounded like! Apologies if they've been previously shared. https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk/search?q=rotodyne
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

AMAZING that you found them Zac! And equally amazing that the Beeb actually recorded them!  :o Well done both.  :thumbsup:

But they're too quiet by around 50 db in reality, my ears weren't hurting like they did when the real thing imposed itself upon me in the mid 50s! 

The 7th track seems the most realistic, the bang when the tip jets start up if pretty authentic, just too quiet.  ;D

[Later] I've just read right through this thread, fascinating stuff. 
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Thanks you for sharing! This is amazing. I've always wondered how the ramjet at the tips would sound like once starting and at take off. But I was born too late and in a different country...thank you Zac!

David aka 63CPE

Steel Penguin

again thank you Zac.   at proper volume that must have been mind blowing!
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: Steel Penguin on November 20, 2022, 01:47:56 AMagain thank you Zac.   at proper volume that must have been mind blowing!

Probably quite similar to some of the bands you listen to  ;)  ;D  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

It's good to hear what a Rotodyne actually sounded like.  Albeit not at lifelike volumes.

Thanks Zac.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

He made a good job of that, and not a mention of knackered clamshell door hinges anywhere.

It would have looked even better in the Landor scheme though.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I like that.  Interior is good.  Sanding the windows is a good tip although I feel if it was meant to be a later developed 'dyne they might have been a more modern rounded square shape.  So sand, fill if needed, polish, and mask.
Pictures confirm what I have always thought about the rear end - pig ugly.  A purely passenger 'dyne would not need the clamshells.
And I also feel a developed 'dyne would have obviously evolved tip nozzles and five blades.

So, things for me to be going on with.   ;)

Can you get model train carriage interiors without having to buy a whole carriage?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2024, 04:54:49 AMI like that.  Interior is good.  Sanding the windows is a good tip although I feel if it was meant to be a later developed 'dyne they might have been a more modern rounded square shape.  So sand, fill if needed, polish, and mask.
Pictures confirm what I have always thought about the rear end - pig ugly.  A purely passenger 'dyne would not need the clamshells.
And I also feel a developed 'dyne would have obviously evolved tip nozzles and five blades.

So, things for me to be going on with.

Can you get model train carriage interiors without having to buy a whole carriage?

Yes, I did off eBay

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

zenrat

I've just had a thought about the rear end.

First class lounge bar with panorama window...
Fred

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2024, 04:54:49 AMI like that.  Interior is good.  Sanding the windows is a good tip although I feel if it was meant to be a later developed 'dyne they might have been a more modern rounded square shape.  So sand, fill if needed, polish, and mask.

So, things for me to be going on with.   ;)

This is what I ordered.

Hornby OO Gauge BR MK3 TSD Standard Class Open Coach Interior Seating Unit

The original item is out of stock but that will give you an idea of what to look for.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Try Replica Railways site was well, they sell all the components for their ready-to-run models as separate items, and there's seven different coach interiors in their range, and they're cheap too, £2.45 for the most expensive ones!

This is their 'Spares Page', scroll down past the coach chassis and you'll find the interiors.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/mainsep1/menuspares

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2024, 05:39:33 AMI've just had a thought about the rear end.

With or without a Vistadome?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2024, 05:39:33 AMI've just had a thought about the rear end.

Can't you just use the toilet like everyone else??? :angel: 
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.