Fairey Rotodyne

Started by Joe C-P, August 07, 2002, 11:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2011, 09:39:56 AM
Quote from: Mossie on January 20, 2011, 09:36:02 AM
Kamov were selected as a licence manufacturer to market it to the US armed forces (laws prevented a non-American company selling military hardware in the US). 

Close but no banana!  ;D

I think you'll find that was Kaman, Kamov is/was a Russian company......... ;D

;D Kamov in the USA sounds like it could be another GTX Whif Inc. alt-history production.  ;D

sideshowbob9

I'm using Fairchild's Canadian subsidiary's one-off conversion of a Fairey Battle as a backdoor to getting some licensed-built Fairey aircraft in US colours.

Unfortunately, my T-56 engined Fairchild-Hiller HH-45C Rotodyne needs some work yet.

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 20, 2011, 11:09:50 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2011, 09:39:56 AM
Quote from: Mossie on January 20, 2011, 09:36:02 AM
Kamov were selected as a licence manufacturer to market it to the US armed forces (laws prevented a non-American company selling military hardware in the US). 

Close but no banana!  ;D

I think you'll find that was Kaman, Kamov is/was a Russian company......... ;D

;D Kamov in the USA sounds like it could be another GTX Whif Inc. alt-history production.  ;D

Whoopsie Daisy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, seriously, it was Kamov, reds under the bed 'n all that.....  :party: ;) ;) ;) :drink:  Yeah, I'm sure Greg'll take that & run with it! :dalek:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on January 20, 2011, 01:19:27 PM
No, seriously, it was Kamov, reds under the bed 'n all that.....  :party: ;) ;) ;) :drink:  Yeah, I'm sure Greg'll take that & run with it! :dalek:

Nah, too easy!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Stargazer

A series of great videos of the Rotodyne can be viewed (and also purchased) from the British Pathé website:

THE ROTODYNE AIRPORT/HELICOPTER TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT (1956)
Bentley and jeep entering aircraft, instrument panel inside cockpit & model of Rotodyne.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=66039

BERKSHIRE - STRAIGHT UP AIRLINER (1957)
First helicopter airliner, the Fairey Rotodyne, makes a successful takeoff test.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=34879

ROTODYNE SETS NEW WORLD RECORD FOR ROTOCRAFT (1958)
British aviation firm creates first world class speed record for a vertical takeoff aircraft.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=67322

SHOP WINDOW OF THE AIR (1958)
The Farnborough Air Show displays the best of British plane and helicopter building.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=35367

WORLD AIRLINES BUY BRITISH (1958)
Pathe look at how well British built airliners - the Viscount, Britannia and Comet - are doing.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=35350

FARNBOROUGH AIR DISPLAY (1959)
Latest in aircraft from British aeronautical industry on display at Farnborough.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=35990

Hobbes

I'm surprised they used those RB.176 at all. Didn't the Tynes provide enough thrust to power the rotor?

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on January 22, 2011, 12:30:04 PM
Well, other than increased size, that's the big difference between Rotodyne Y and Z Types. The Y's Elands provided gas for the tips and propellers for forward movement. The Z's RB.716 were strictly for gas generation, the Tynes solely for forward movement.

I'm assuming that Fairey just wanted to simplify the 'plumbing'. I still think that the RB.176s could be used for a little extra oomph (for dash at least).

Makes it rather complex if the idea is to simplify plumbing.  I agree, it might be a good idea but more than likely it just didn't occur to them.  The Rotodyne was already already the fasted rotorcraft in the world at the time.  Why would they want to make it go EVEN FASTER?   :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on January 22, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
Well, it was being advertised as a commuter airliner. Few potential passengers would be wishing that their hop took longer.

The SBAC creed as far as passengers were concerned was, "passengers will take what they are given and will enjoy it, as after all, we're the aircraft builders and we know better than they what they want..."  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

raafif

That's Fairey's attempt for a Lunar-Bus -- pitched at NASA  :lol:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Mossie

Quote from: rickshaw on January 22, 2011, 08:15:37 PM
Quote from: apophenia on January 22, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
Well, it was being advertised as a commuter airliner. Few potential passengers would be wishing that their hop took longer.

The SBAC creed as far as passengers were concerned was, "passengers will take what they are given and will enjoy it, as after all, we're the aircraft builders and we know better than they what they want..."  ;)

I don't think this was the case with the Rotodyne, in fact the main reason for the increased size of the type Z was BEA moving the goalposts.  I often wonder if this spec creep was in part to blame for the demise of the Rotodyne.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

Is there an asthetical counterpart to the E-801M radar used by the Ka-31 in the West?

I like this shipbucket depiction of an advanced Rotodyne but have thought that an antenna similar to that of the Oko system would look cooler on an AEW derivative than the radome-equipped Searchwater......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: dy031101 on January 24, 2011, 11:42:50 AM
Is there an asthetical counterpart to the E-801M radar used by the Ka-31 in the West? <...>

:lol: You used "aesthetical" and "Ka-31" in the same sentence.  ;D

Apart from that, how about the French "Horizon" battlefield surveillance radar fitted to a Cougar? CLICKY!

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kitnut617

Quote from: dy031101 on January 24, 2011, 11:42:50 AM
I like this shipbucket depiction of an advanced Rotodyne but have thought that an antenna similar to that of the Oko system would look cooler on an AEW derivative than the radome-equipped Searchwater......

I think if I was to do an AEW Rotodyne, I'd do it along these lines
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on January 24, 2011, 01:50:33 PM

Apart from that, how about the French "Horizon" battlefield surveillance radar fitted to a Cougar? CLICKY!

Did this about four years ago:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,12245.30.html

dy031101

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on January 24, 2011, 01:50:33 PM
:lol: You used "aesthetical" and "Ka-31" in the same sentence.  ;D

Well I'm not talking about the airframe itself......  ;D

====================================================

Okay, the retractable radome à la S-2 Tracker would work for my taste, too, but the Ka-31's radar is still kind of what I thought would look coolest......  :mellow:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here