Fairey Rotodyne

Started by Joe C-P, August 07, 2002, 11:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on January 25, 2011, 06:09:51 PM
  The USN just tends to design REALLY, REALLY, BIG ONES as a matter of course

I think that's because the USN tend to land REALLY, REALLY BIG aircraft on them ----  ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: raafif on January 25, 2011, 08:20:55 PM
I prefer civil choppers -- don't know why a Rotodyne Firebomber didn't suggest itself to me !?

Snap! :party:  Have a look at my profiles thread from page 3 onwards, there are several civil schemes:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,12245.30.html

Quote from: Hobbes on January 25, 2011, 11:38:01 PM
That picture suggests a drawback of the Rotodyne design for firefighting: the propeller tips would get awfully close to the water.

More clearance than a CL215, Raafif's profile shows an umbilical & that was the plan for mine as well, it's just not in the pic.  It'd make sense to use the Rotodyne in the hover, rather then try & skim.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

raafif

mice profiles Mossie -- looks like I'll have to spend the $1,000 & get broadband if I don't want to wait 20mins for each page to load  :-\

Why not an amphibious Rotodyne ?  Wing-tips fold down as floats like the Catalina.
    (spot the differences ?)
         and the Navy version ....
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

PR19_Kit

Ahah, that Seadyne would go a long way to solve the 'engine bashing the rear fuselage' problem I mentioned above. Fold the props, add a little dihedral and we're there.

Mind you, it'll end up looking just like a V-22 with a tip-jet rotor on the roof!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Go for large airfoil cross-section sponsons that contain the landing gear and you can ditch the wingtip floats.

Stargazer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 26, 2011, 07:34:56 PM
Mind you, it'll end up looking just like a V-22 with a tip-jet rotor on the roof!  ;D

Now that's a thought!!  ;D

Mind you, it will end up looking very much like a Groen Bros. design... LOL

tigercat

What about a Shorts Skyvan with a Jet Tip Rotor for your smaller Gyrodyne needs including carrier based.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on January 27, 2011, 04:29:56 AM
What about a Shorts Skyvan with a Jet Tip Rotor for your smaller Gyrodyne needs including carrier based.

Heheh, a RotoShed!  ;D :thumbsup: :drink:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Found a few bits of info on Secret Projects that seem to relate to Kaman studies on the Rotodyne.

The first one is an artists concept, note the fuselage fairings for the undercarriage, ducted fans & roof mounted intakes (similar to the K-140 below), otherwise it's clearly a Rotodyne.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1084.0.html

Kaman K-140.  Heavier than Rotodyne Z (all up weight for the Z was around 50,000lb), there are some differences in details such as the intakes on the roof (for tip jet gas exchangers?), slightly longer nose, different wing, tail & ramp arrangement.  Difficult to tell but overall dimensions seem slightly larger.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,731.msg5794.html#msg5794

Kaman K-141.  Similar to K-140, but with a conventional shaft driven rotor & long boom with twin tail rotors on a V-Tail.  I suspect it was a comparison to the K-140 using understood technology?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Stargazer

Very, very interesting. Thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:

Mossie

Your welcome!  Those drawings part-answered a question I had, would the Kaman built version have been a straight copy to US specs, or would they have tailored the design to the needs of the US Army.  I don't know if these were actual proposals or just studies, or just how related they were to the Rotodyne but it hints at the latter.

Just a note, I mentioned the Rotodyne Z as 50,000lb all up weight.  This was from a web source (http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2008/06/15/the-fairey-rotodyne/), the book on the Fairey Rotodyne by David Gibbings has it as 68,300lb.  Still, it's 14,500lb lighter than the K-140.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2011, 04:37:44 PM
Quote from: tigercat on January 27, 2011, 04:29:56 AM
Heheh, a RotoShed!  ;D :thumbsup: :drink:

Hm, I've just found a part built Skyvan and most of an old Revell undersize 'dyne in The Loft...........  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

Mossie

The voices whisper... do it, do it....

raafif

Are they twin-rotors on the tail of the Kaman-141 ?? ?? why ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Maverick

raafif,

The 'conventional' Kaman aircraft is shaft driven, as such it would require a tail rotor to counteract the force of the main rotor operating just like a normal helo because the shaft is moving instead of the 'normal' Rotodyne rotor freewheeling with the tipjets.

Regards,

Mav