Fairey Rotodyne

Started by Joe C-P, August 07, 2002, 11:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

That much is obvious but...why twin tail rotors?  Seems superfluous to me.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

No idea.  The only info I've been able to find online is those pics from Secret Projects.  I would hazard a guess that such a large rotor might need more torque than is available from a single rotor, without making the tail boom even longer?  Also, wouldn't the props counter the torque?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on February 01, 2011, 09:09:46 PM

Because it was a Kaman design? Did Kaman do ANYthing normal?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2011, 04:55:02 AM
Did Kaman do ANYthing normal?  ;D

Well, the H-2 Seasprite is fairly normal compared to the rest of his designs. And it's also the most successful of them...

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2011, 04:55:02 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 01, 2011, 09:09:46 PM

Because it was a Kaman design? Did Kaman do ANYthing normal?  ;D

Didn't just usually make what was considered at one point abnormal, normal?  ;)

You know he got his start in industry designing and licensing those designs for various high-lift devices for use on conventional wings?  Many of his designs for leading edge slats and flaps are still in use.  Before he introduced them, most aircraft designers thought they too were abnormal...

PR19_Kit

Could well be right, but when you see a Huskie fly past it NEVER looks normal, not in the slightest!  ;D  :rolleyes:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2011, 05:31:47 PM
Could well be right, but when you see a Huskie fly past it NEVER looks normal, not in the slightest!  ;D  :rolleyes:

I agree.  Some things were just never meant to fly and defy the laws of physics and god!  Those intermeshing rotor systems are one of them!  I'm too young to have ever seen a Huskie flying but I suppose I might get the chance with the K-Max.  Weird thing!   :blink:

Stargazer

Quote from: rickshaw on February 02, 2011, 07:31:29 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2011, 05:31:47 PM

I agree.  Some things were just never meant to fly and defy the laws of physics and god!  Those intermeshing rotor systems are one of them!  I'm too young to have ever seen a Huskie flying but I suppose I might get the chance with the K-Max.  Weird thing!   :blink:

Well, an egg-beater also uses intermeshing blades, and no-one deems it abnormal!!!  :rolleyes:

rickshaw

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on February 03, 2011, 04:38:15 AM
Well, an egg-beater also uses intermeshing blades, and no-one deems it abnormal!!!  :rolleyes:

They certainly do if they see one flying through the air!   :o :lol:

rickshaw

Just got the Gibbings book on the Rotodyne delivered today.  I see what is meant by a "beavertail door" on the stern and it is not what I'd imagined!  It has a bottom and a top opening half whereas I'd imagined a ramp rather like the Chinook or Hercules.  Excellent book though.  Loads of info in there!

Mossie

It's good isn't it???  At first I thought it answered just about any question you could have on the Rotodyne, although I've since thought of a few it doesn't.  Tons of info on both the Y & the Z, as well as the Gyrodyne/Jet Gyrodyne & Ultralight.  If your still planning on building the Z, it provides just about all you'd need.

Yeah, that 'beaver' tail is quite different to most transport aircraft.  The book doesn't go into why the decision was made to go with this tail.  One thing that I was very glad to see is the design of the nine tipjet & silencer assembly that was likely to equip the final version.  That & military & differing civil layouts are very helpful.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

The 'dyne Z beaver-tail is pretty much a smaller version of the one on the military Argosy, split horizontally and opening both up and downwards.

The bottom half could be stopped in mid-transit to meet a truck bed, or lowered all the way to the ground so things could be wheeled or driven in. What the 'dyne Z doesn't have is the big blister on the top of the fuselage just forward of the upper door. I'm not sure what that was for on the Argosy, could have been aerodynamic or something to house the folding linkage.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I think the way things are going, I'm going to be building an "inspired by" Rotodyne Z, rather than a Z itself.  The Beavertail is I suspect more aerodynamic but not what I like in a transport aircraft/helicopter.   Now, where can I find a set of Tyne engines nacelles?  Anybody know of a resin aftermarket set?

PR19_Kit

You're following my planned scheme of things with a later mark 'dyne....  ;D

I'm using the engines from a Heller Bobcat Transall C-160, cheap and available at a car boot sale near you, mine cost 50p! That's a LOT of plastic for 50p....

That's if they have car boot sales in your neck of the woods of course.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I've been considering that path as well.  My problem is finding a set of rotors large enough.  The Type Z had a rotor diameter of ~33 metres.  Thats ~450mm(!).  I was thinking of using some 1/48 scale ones but haven't found any.  I might have to roll my own.  The rotorhead is another problem.  Again, I fear I'll have to roll my own.