VF-142 Super Hornet

Started by Eddie M., June 23, 2008, 08:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Not too long ago, Baz sent me a wonderful gift in the form of F/A-18F. I've been trying to decide what to do with since. I thought of starting my next big epic project by bashing it with a Voodoo I recently got ahold of, but Joe Rugby beat me to it, and frankly, he is doing a better job at it. Even then, I've had nagging doubts about chopping such a nice model into pieces, so I'm going the route that I started with my VF-1 Wolfpack S.H. Once again, I'm building a modern jet marked with a decommed squadron, namely VF-142 from the USS America. It will be nice and colorful like jets used to be. For starters, here's the OOB cockpit with a little paint and will be working forward from here. ;D
   Eddie
Look behind you!

AeroplaneDriver

Have you thought about adding some detail to the 'pit.  It may help your models look better...

;D

Absolutely amazing work Eddie!  :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Eddie M.

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on June 23, 2008, 08:31:54 PM
Have you thought about adding some detail to the 'pit.  It may help your models look better...

;D

Absolutely amazing work Eddie!  :wub:

AD,
  I have to say you are the catalyst of this build. Since I saw your 'pit in your FRS Hornet, I got the itch to work on one as well. Thanks for the inspiration! :thumbsup:
Look behind you!

Taiidantomcat

This is great!! always loved the hi vis VF-142 jets almost too bright to be true!! My uncle was on the America and i remember him building and bringing back the rev/mon 1/48 tomcat in VF 142 markings --about the coolest thing ever when you are 9!! and at my size then that was one big model!! and what an incredible start great job!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Eddie M.

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on June 23, 2008, 09:51:15 PM
This is great!! always loved the hi vis VF-142 jets almost too bright to be true!! My uncle was on the America and i remember him building and bringing back the rev/mon 1/48 tomcat in VF 142 markings --about the coolest thing ever when you are 9!! and at my size then that was one big model!! and what an incredible start great job!

Thank you! I'm using the decals from that very kit for this build.

I got to see the USS America up close once during Desert Storm in the Persian Gulf. Here's a couple of pix I took from the Ranger while we were underway for a photoex with the Roosevelt and Midway. To this day, it is the largest show of US naval power in one place since WWII.
   Eddie

Look behind you!

Taiidantomcat

Small world thats when he was on it! cool pictures thanks for posting those. He did a couple cruises with the Coral Sea before it retired too.

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Eddie M.

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on June 24, 2008, 02:15:13 PM
Small world thats when he was on it! cool pictures thanks for posting those. He did a couple cruises with the Coral Sea before it retired too.

Ah, the Coral Maru.... the sister ship of my 1st ship, CV-41. what was your Uncle's job in the Navy?
   Eddie
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

Looking sweet Eddie. You have a lot more patience with cocpits than I do. ;D :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

He was a firefighter, and in the gulf 91 he was also doing ordinance

Eddie M.

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on June 24, 2008, 03:24:01 PM
He was a firefighter, and in the gulf 91 he was also doing ordinance

This is getting interesting. I was an aviation firefighter (crash& salvage) and on the Rescue and Assistance party in port. I remember (among other things, like eating chow next to live weapons on the mess deck) the ships company Ordies on my ships used to open up the weapons elevator doors so the MARDET (Marine Detachment) could practice repelling down the equivicalent to about 7 or 8 stories. As you can read, I've got lots of sea stories. ;D
    Eddie
Look behind you!

Taiidantomcat

That's amazing! what  a small world! i had never heard of using those elevators to repel but thats pretty clever. i was in the Marines but i never went on the boat.

John Howling Mouse

Um, so, just like that: you go and pull off a perfect cockpit, eh?  Man, oh man, Eddie, what are we going to do with you?   :thumbsup:

Love your pics of the America.  That's quite the weapon of mass destruction you folks have there.  If I saw that coming into my coastline view, I'd capitulate on the spot.  Then send my pants to the laundry....
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 24, 2008, 07:17:33 PM
Um, so, just like that: you go and pull off a perfect cockpit, eh?  Man, oh man, Eddie, what are we going to do with you?   :thumbsup:

Love your pics of the America.  That's quite the weapon of mass destruction you folks have there.  If I saw that coming into my coastline view, I'd capitulate on the spot.  Then send my pants to the laundry....

Thank you for the model to try my hand at cockpit details. My VF-1 S.H. didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, so I will endeavour to correct those mistakes. Personally, I think this one is going to pop with the color scheme...

I could be wrong, I think I've improved this cockpit over the last one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Super%20Hornet%20Foxtrot/HPIM0943.jpg

I'm also going to attempt another homemade HUD. This one really tested my patience. :drink:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Super%20Hornet%20Foxtrot/HPIM1713.jpg

Alas, The America now sits in Davey Jones locker, having been sunk for a weapons test. Not the best ending, but better than the cutter's torch and made into razor blades.
   Eddie

Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

See that's the difference between the average modeler(like me) and folk like Eddie and Baz. Eddie didn't think the earlier cockpit was good enough....... and made his own hud  :rolleyes: :blink:
I'm putting on the dress :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Shasper

Is it a sundress, or that lil black one? ;) rotflmao!

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.