BAF SF 114 (finaly done)

Started by Patrick H, June 24, 2008, 01:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick H

Annyone remember this one?

This is the one that set me of modeling for almost 2 years. Came acroos it a month ago and decided to give it a try again. And, although not my best build, I'm glad its finished now.

so, here we go. First the story, then the pictures.

After taking the F 104 on strength in 196, NATO became aware that this aircraft wasn't realy what they expected. Although a fine aircraft, it lacked a lot in flight time and it proved an unforgiving aircraft for its pilots. Soon, engineers at SABCA (Société Anonyme Belge de Constructions Aéronautiques), started an attempt to improve this. They came up with a delta wing, double tailed concept, based on the F 104 body. This proved a major improvement as larger tanks could be fitted in the wings and the bigger wings, together with the double tail made the aircraft much easier to handle and much more maneuverable. Another complaint by F 104 pilots was the lack of visibility. Therefore, a new, one piece canopy was designed to replace the old one.

The Belgian government saw the potential of this new fighter and gave the go ahead to build 2 prototypes. these where rolled out in 1963. By that time, The Netherlands and Germany had also showed interest in the project. The flight testing of the prototypes went flawless and soon production could start. A total of 250 aircraft where build of witch 75 served with the BAF; 55 with the Dutch Air Force and 120 went to Germany.

The SF 114 would replace the F 104 in Belgian service and would stay until replaced in 1975 when the last one was replaced

In 1970, 349 sqn had the honor to deliver the display aircraft for the airshow season and the FA 25 received a special painting for the occasion. The tail was painted black and received the Sqn's crest while on the belly a large "Goeden dag" was painted, the medieval weapon that is part of the Sqn's logo.

About the build, Starfighter fuselage, wings used as tail. Heller Mirage V wings and droptanks. Canopy is "saved" from an broken up F 16. That and lots of putty made up my first, and for now kast, kitbash.

Hope you like it.

:cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

pyro-manic

A huge improvement on the F-104! Looks really good in that scheme, as well. The belly graphic is killer! :ph34r: :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Eddie M.

That is one killer profile. Beautiful lines and great presentation.  :thumbsup: :mellow:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

Beautiful aircraft, excellent build and awesome graphics. Love the backstory.  :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow:
Don't quit. You have imagination and skill. Heck I got a Starfighter laying around I may just steal your idea.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

John Howling Mouse

What everybody up there said, Patrick.  This is something to really be proud of.   :wub: :thumbsup:  And I wish I had thought of it!   :cheers:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Hobbes

Goedendag indeed  ;D
That's one impressive build. I really like the graphics, and I suspect some engineer at Lockheed is now slapping his forehead and going "Why didn't we think of that?"

B777LR

Hahahaha, i love how the wings have been turned into the tail! ;D 5 star for that! :cheers:

Weaver

Right up my street is that - well done!  Mid-mounted deltas on a circular fuselage and intakes are so..... pure ..... somehow.....:wub: :wub: :wub: If you can turn out stuff like that, then I sincerely hope it isn't your last kitbash....

Lockheed's takes on improving the Starfighter were the various CL1200 Lancer proposals, with a bigger (but still thin and straight) wing mounted high on the fuselage, and low tailplanes. It always looked to me as though it could use Crusader-style variable incidence, although it didn't. From a modelling POV, I wonder if you could make one by putting 1/48th F-104 wings on a 1/72nd fuselage. It lost out to the cheaper to buy/run F-5E in the Export Fighter competition, and then lost out to the YF-16 & YF-17 in the USAF Lightweight Fighter competition, on account of them being from another universe called "the future".....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ed S

Considering that the BAF flew both the F-104 and the Mirage V, this looks like what happened if a couple of these got together after a night of heavy drinking.  I like the result.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

BlackOps

I'm glad you finished it because it's a real beauty  :wub:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Spey_Phantom

what a jet, where has it been al my life  :wub:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Patrick H

Thanks a lot for all your nice comments guys. These do incourage me to try another kitbash someday.

I've always been a delta wing fan so who knows, there might be another one someday. I do have the Mirage fueselage left.  :wacko:

:cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air