Model and Storytime: YF-75 Merlin

Started by Hawkeye, June 25, 2008, 10:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Hey all you What-If fans! Just posted a story and pictures of one of my creations on my blog. Take a peek, I'll be following up with another mission soon!

Read the story here: http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/2008/06/25/modeling-and-storytime-yf-75-merlin/

Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

LemonJello

Good story.  Could we get some details on this beauty that you've built?  Oh, and some more photos, too!
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

sotoolslinger

What's your effin problem dude? We're not good enough for you. :huh:...... ;D ;D
Great story and build. But ..... I demand more pictures and what about a build thread :wub: :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Hawkeye

Okay Okay Here's a short explanation of the build. Sorry I don't have a whole lot of photos of the in progress portion but it didn't turn out to be the project I initially envisioned in the beginning.

Using Testor's 1:72 SR-75 Penetrator kit, I was looking to build something a bit unique from the kit with a little sawing here, changing there. Initially I was going to do just a shortened version of the stock model but it started to take on a life of its own. Also understand this was essentially a build (the SR-75B pictured below) that took just a few days. During the process of that build it became apparent that I wanted to do more with the kit as part of a follow on build, so I scored another kit on eBay.

Initially with this second build, the YF-75, I was going to go all out with detailing such things as landing gear wells, weapons bays, opening engine panels, cockpit...the list was pretty long. So I started to cut, slice, and fabricate components.

The problem with my plan was I didn't have one exactly, so the more I worked on the more problems I incurred and I felt the frustration move in. Had I outlined my goals, then taken the best and most feasible it probably would have come together with minimal glitches. Problem was I didn't so the project changed directions again. Back to eBay for another kit, the one I had was now in pieces parts.

So once the third kit arrived, I started to make the necessary cuts for my revised plan to the revised original. Complicated I know! Cutting a section out of the fuselage was the first step. Note the SR-75B (1:72) that was made earlier in the process.

This build though not exactly as I envisioned it did turn out nice IMO. It also served as a palette to try new ideas and techniques. The other factor as to why the plans changed was timing. Something came along to interrupt the process and I didn't want to banish it to the Finish It Later pile, so I whipped it out as shown.

Will I do yet another one, probably, if I can find the kit for cheap. I still have lots of pieces parts. I have two nice large detailed engines stashed away that would make nice add ons to convert this from a four to a twin engine monster. Maybe it will be "that" special build someday.

The Merlin: A member of the Falcon family they are a robust and heavily built raptor that likes to dive down upon its prey from above.

Natures equivalent of the YF-75 Merlin -vs- Any enemy fighter.

Gerald Voigt

sotoolslinger

Now I remember :banghead: :banghead: Your cool feather paintjob :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: I completely whifed the older post. :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

it looks like a Star fighter... like the next generation after F-22, capable of attacking from space. Amazing job!! :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Captain Canada

WOW ! What a sexy looking beast....love that paintjob as well.  Great stuff !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Patrick H

Great build and even better story. Reads like a good novell, a real good one.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

Brian da Basher

Great stuff, Hawkeye! The "feathered" camo pattern is achieved masterfully.
:bow:
Brian da Basher

Hawkeye

Gerald Voigt

Sauragnmon

Love the work there, Hawkeye - the name fits, too.  I remember this summer just passed, we had a trio of Merlins move into the neighbourhood... Everything else moved Out.  They favoured hunting over the trainyard though, but you can't mistake that beautiful "kee kee kee kee kee kee" cry of theirs.  Beautiful birds.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

tigercat2

Outstanding model and story.  A few questions, though:

- is this a recon bird, perhaps an SR-71 replacement
- what's the top speed
- what engines do you see being used (I take it there are 4 engines now)
- Why the YF-75 designation?  How about something like SR-XX

Your story is so compelling, and the model is so realistic that I want to know more!!!

Wes W.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Hawkeye

Quote from: tigercat2 on January 29, 2010, 05:14:31 PM
Outstanding model and story.  A few questions, though:

- is this a recon bird, perhaps an SR-71 replacement
This is a multitasking platform. Recon is all but one of its capabilities.
- what's the top speed
Very Fast...Mach 3 clean. Max Cruise at 1.9 with supercruise.
- what engines do you see being used (I take it there are 4 engines now)
This is CLASSIFIED. All we can disclose is it does have four.
- Why the YF-75 designation?  How about something like SR-XX
Y=Prototype F=Fighter YF=Prototype Fighter  as YF-22  YF-23

Your story is so compelling, and the model is so realistic that I want to know more!!!

Wes W.
Gerald Voigt

G.Marcat

SUPERBLY SUPERIOR. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A FIRST CLASS work.