Main Menu

A400M Rollout

Started by Jschmus, June 26, 2008, 06:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Quite interestingly, the Japanese Kawasaki C-X will be able to carry a similar payload, 37.5 tons, compared to the A-400M with 37 tons.

Cruise speed will be 890 kmph for the C-X, and 780 kmph for the A-400M.

Range for the C-X will be 10.000 kmph with no cargo, and 5600 kmph with 37 tons of cargo. The A-400M will do 9300 kmph with no cargo, and 3300 kmph with 37 tons.

I wonder how this will affect the A-400M :unsure: Somehow, i think the prospects of a Japanese aircraft replacing older C-130 in the USAF, is much higher than the A-400M :(

Mossie

I imagine the efficiency of turboprops might sway several air arms over the speed, especially in these times of huge defence cuts.  I also think that the Airbus consortium would have more marketing & political clout behind them than Kawasaki.  I'd like to see the C-X in the sky in some operators liveries other than Japans.  I'd like a model too & the only chance we've got of getting one is if it's exported!  The only model I know of the C-1 is the 1/200 Hasegawa kit & that's hard to come by.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

The japanese never managed to sold any aircrafts outside their own air force.
T-1, T-4, F-1, T-2, F-2, YS-11 were all good machines, but way too expensive.

Btw, I thought the probe looked awful so I removed it before using the photo for my desktop.

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

B777LR

Quote from: Archibald on June 27, 2008, 09:22:21 AM
The japanese never managed to sold any aircrafts outside their own air force.
T-1, T-4, F-1, T-2, F-2, YS-11 were all good machines, but way too expensive.

They werent allowed to sell the T-1, T-4, F-1, T-2 and F-2. That was somehting to do with WWII i beleive.

The YS-11 was a good succes though, with 182 built. The BAe ATP only sold 64. As well as that, you might just remember that not many European (in particular British) airliners, sold more than 200 examples...

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2008, 07:54:17 AM
I'd like a model too & the only chance we've got of getting one is if it's exported!  The only model I know of the C-1 is the 1/200 Hasegawa kit & that's hard to come by.

Only a few days ago I came across a website where there was a company that makes one in 1/72 ----- now where did I see that  :banghead: ouch! :banghead: ouch!

Edit:
Hmm !! all that head banging must of worked,  here it is: http://www.coopersmodels.com/page/page/5762418.htm
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

nev

The Japanese constitution forbids the export of arms.

However, whether a tactical airlifter comes under that is open to debate.  I do remember reading somewhere that the C-X has jet engines to enable it to fly in commercial aviation lanes (which the C-130 can't do).  This makes it easier and quicker to reach foreign destinations and also increases its commercial saleability (is that a real word?)

We've also got to factor in the traditional Japanese-military-project-horrendous-cost-overrun.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 27, 2008, 11:18:03 AM
I'd like a model too & the only chance we've got of getting one is if it's exported!  The only model I know of the C-1 is the 1/200 Hasegawa kit & that's hard to come by.

Only a few days ago I came across a website where there was a company that makes one in 1/72 ----- now where did I see that  :banghead: ouch! :banghead: ouch!

Edit:
Hmm !! all that head banging must of worked,  here it is: http://www.coopersmodels.com/page/page/5762418.htm

Thanks Robert.  At that price it may be a little while before I pick one up!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 26, 2008, 06:33:41 PM
Oh yeah....nice find, Jay ! That thing is beautiful ! I want one......or two ! I wish Canada would buy some !

:wub:

Given Canada now has C-17, why bother?  Anyway, the A400M was offered to Canada back in 2006 to meet a tender request for 17 new tactical airlifters to replace their old CC-130E models. The Canadians ordered four Boeing C-17s and the C-130J Super Hercules instead.

Mind you, EADS still hopes to sell some to the RAAF as C-130H replacements.

Those having already ordered include:

•   Germany - 60
•   France - 50
•   Spain - 27
•   UK - 25
•   Turkey - 10
•   Belgium - 7
•   Luxembourg - 1
•   South Africa - 8
•   Malaysia - 4

Chile had ordered 3, but this order has been cancelled.

All others are whiff potential for now.

BTW, here is a cutaway:

Also, for comparison, the following picture shows just how much bigger the TP400 engine is - this one is being tested on a Herc:

Finally - Guess who's scheduled to visit EADS Casa's A400M final assembly line in a few weeks :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Plenty of pics of whatever they'll let you take Greg!

Captain Canada

Great pic of the Herc with that engine ! Did it fly like that ? Must have been a handful !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

I think I read somewhere that the engines are cousins to the V-22 engines, is that correct?

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2008, 01:18:58 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on June 27, 2008, 11:18:03 AM

Edit:

Thanks Robert.  At that price it may be a little while before I pick one up!

Yeah! it is a bit on the steep side   :rolleyes:  It looks a bit Anigrand-ish don't you think?  Did you see that turbo-prop conversion for the Neptune though, I missed that the last time I was looking in there.  I could use that on a couple of projects I think.

B777LR

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 27, 2008, 06:47:34 PM
I think I read somewhere that the engines are cousins to the V-22 engines, is that correct?

Nope, i the Europrop TP-400 is an all new engine. Is also an European engine, making it easier to sell to countries the US doesnt approve of.

Martin H

Quote from: Thorvic on June 27, 2008, 04:13:13 AM
Well i think it looks like the HS-681 Aldershot and thats over 40 yrs old !!!

It does in a way.

I like the look of this beast.  wonder how long it will take them to get it through the flight test program and into service.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Roger the Cabin Boy

Agree it needs winglets.  Winglets are wonderful.   :wub: :wub:   Hey, never mind the probe, what about those mean scythes for props!  :wub:

Mine's gonna be in South African markings. Though they are partners in the real world project, (I even have a SAAF brochure) somehow I think it'll end up being a Whif...   Need a kit first, though.  Do you suppose they'll let Trevor Snowden take his ruler and digi camera close up?  ;D ;D
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...