Main Menu

A400M Rollout

Started by Jschmus, June 26, 2008, 06:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

More likly as has already been said that Revell will get/have got first "dibs" at an A400 kit. The real question is what scale will it be? (72nd i hope)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2008, 02:28:45 PM
Plenty of pics of whatever they'll let you take Greg!

Given I'll be in meetings most of the day, there may not be much of a chance, though we'll see.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 27, 2008, 03:58:23 PM
Great pic of the Herc with that engine ! Did it fly like that ? Must have been a handful !

:cheers:

Hasn't flown just yet.  That picture was taken on 10 Jun 08 and was the first ground run with a Marshall Aerospace-owned Lockheed Martin C-130 flight testbed (FTB).  More than 30h of ground tests are required before the testbed will be able to make its first flight - sometime in the next few months.  Here's a couple more pics of the installation:

In addition to systems installation, considerable structural modification was needed to strengthen the C-130 airframe in order to absorb the massive torque of the 11,000 shaft horsepower engine and its 5.5 metre diameter propeller.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 27, 2008, 06:47:34 PM
I think I read somewhere that the engines are cousins to the V-22 engines, is that correct?

The TP400-D6 is a European engine from a consortium of Industria de Turbo Propulsores, MTU Aero Engines, Rolls-Royce and Snecma( operating under the banner of Europrop International GmbH).  It is based on the core of Snecma's M88.  See here: http://www.europrop.aero/pages/tp400/default.html for more information.

The engine selection for the A400M has followed a long and tortuous path with politics playing a large part.  Pratt & Whitney Canada did offer a turboprop based on the PW800 engine family.

The V-22 engines are Rolls-Royce Allison T406 (AE 1107C-Liberty) turboshafts and thus apart form the fact that Rolls-Royce are part of Europrop International, no real link.

Regards,

Greg

Martin H

Quote from: GTX on June 28, 2008, 01:21:50 PM
Hasn't flown just yet.  That picture was taken on 10 Jun 08 and was the first ground run with a Marshall Aerospace-owned Lockheed Martin C-130 flight testbed (FTB).  More than 30h of ground tests are required before the testbed will be able to make its first flight - sometime in the next few months.  Here's a couple more pics of the installation:

In addition to systems installation, considerable structural modification was needed to strengthen the C-130 airframe in order to absorb the massive torque of the 11,000 shaft horsepower engine and its 5.5 metre diameter propeller.

Regards,

Greg

Boy! doesnt "Snoopy" look differnt with out her nose probe any more. 

For those who dont know "Snoopy" was the RAE's weather recci herk (Aka the Herculese W Mk-2) with a nice long nose probe in place of the usual radar unit. Said radar was relocated to a pod above and just behind the cockpit. I belive she was replaced by a civilian registered BAe 146.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Lockheed-C-130K-Hercules/1257818/L/
Unfortunately,

anthonyp

SEE!  I told you it needed winglets  ;D

There.  Now it can fly  :lol:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Archibald

Quote from: Martin H on June 28, 2008, 05:31:55 AM
Quote from: Thorvic on June 27, 2008, 04:13:13 AM
Well i think it looks like the HS-681 Aldershot and thats over 40 yrs old !!!

It does in a way.

I like the look of this beast.  wonder how long it will take them to get it through the flight test program and into service.

Quick! Turkey, Germany and France are in a hurry with their Transalls. Aparently the first machines must enter service around 2010.
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Funny how the word "winglets" sound similar to "twigglets"  ;D

I had some fun yesterday with the pic, after removing the probe. No winglets (sorry) rather stretched variants.

That's the machine we know...

The same without the probe

Now, a stretched machine.

And an ultra-stretched A400M.

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Roger the Cabin Boy

And I thought the phrase

"You can't see the join"

was only applicable to modellers with 2 Ls, and Eric Morecombe...   ;D ;D ;D
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

Archibald

Quote from: Roger the Cabin Boy on June 29, 2008, 03:02:06 AM
And I thought the phrase

"You can't see the join"

was only applicable to modellers with 2 Ls, and Eric Morecombe...   ;D ;D ;D

Can't understand any word of what you said!

Martin H

i wouldnt worry about it Archi. Its British humor at its worst/best (depending on your view point)
Unfortunately,

kitnut617

Archie buddy, if you stretch the front you got to stretch the back   :thumbsup: ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 29, 2008, 09:49:58 AM
Archie buddy, if you stretch the front you got to stretch the back   :thumbsup: ;D

Not if you add canards...

B777LR

Update!

First flight tomorrow! :wub: :wub: :wub:

:party: :party: :party:

Captain Canada

Great pic...that'll be cool if she flies already !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?