Main Menu

A400M Rollout

Started by Jschmus, June 26, 2008, 06:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

If the A400M does die, here's another alternative:  Can anyone say C-17 Mini-me?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

I'd say the C-17 was a C-1 that had eaten it's greens, the Kawasaki came first.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

coops213

Found this Luftwaffe profile on wikipedia:

Chris

B777LR

Quote from: GTX on February 01, 2010, 01:37:29 AM
If the A400M does die, here's another alternative:  Can anyone say C-17 Mini-me?

Regards,

Greg

But Japan can't export military equipment :thumbsup:

Spey_Phantom

nice German profile  ;D

here's a concept image of how the Belgian A400M should look like when they arive arround 2018/2020.
the serials are rumored to be CT-01 to CT-07 (unconfirmed)

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

nev

Quote from: B787 on February 01, 2010, 07:21:13 AM

Except they're looking to work round that rule, and the C-2 has been specifically designed to meet certain civil aviation requirements in the hope of exports (cf. YS-11)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

B777LR

Quote from: nev on February 01, 2010, 10:14:30 AM

Except they're looking to work round that rule, and the C-2 has been specifically designed to meet certain civil aviation requirements in the hope of exports (cf. YS-11)

Didn't they work around the rules in saying that the helicopter carriers were destroyers with large flight decks?

Martin H

The Japanese Government's of late seem quite willing (if not yet able) to change the constitution, to allow a more outward looking military policy. And that could also mean exports of hardware as well i suppose.

Quote from: B787 on February 01, 2010, 11:00:20 AM
Didn't they work around the rules in saying that the helicopter carriers were destroyers with large flight decks?

We did some thing simler in the 1970's. The Invincible was listed as a Through deck cruiser to get it past the then Labour government. Then once the Tories were back in she suddenly became an Aircraft carrier.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

B777LR

Quote from: Martin H on February 01, 2010, 11:55:17 AM

We did some thing simler in the 1970's. The Invincible was listed as a Through deck cruiser to get it past the then Labour government. Then once the Tories were back in she suddenly became an Aircraft carrier.

Lol, and HMS PoW will be just the opposite - a carrier acting as a helicopter carrier ;D

nev

Quote from: nev on February 01, 2010, 10:14:30 AM

Yep, the Hyuga is classed as a DDH.  And don't forget they sent troops to Iraq, and their navy is doing anti-piracy patrols in the Indian Ocean.  And they want a permanent seat on the UN Security Council.  They're starting to just flex their muscles a little bit.

However I doubt the C-2 will ever get any export orders because, like all Japanese indiginous military projects, it will be horrifically expensive.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

Whilst trying to avoind raining on anyone's enthusiasm for this particular plane, but it doesn 't look too different from the Future Large Aircraft mock up I saw a Farnborough some years ago. Large being a loosely used word as it seemed to be about the size of a non streched C130, and YES   I DO know what one looks like. I've even been inside one! IF this is the best Airbus can do for military aircraft then I'm afraid they aren't going to get too far. The only tihng that makes it look somewhat good are the damm props!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

B777LR

Quote from: lancer on February 02, 2010, 12:23:38 PM
Whilst trying to avoind raining on anyone's enthusiasm for this particular plane, but it doesn 't look too different from the Future Large Aircraft mock up I saw a Farnborough some years ago. Large being a loosely used word as it seemed to be about the size of a non streched C130, and YES   I DO know what one looks like. I've even been inside one! IF this is the best Airbus can do for military aircraft then I'm afraid they aren't going to get too far. The only tihng that makes it look somewhat good are the damm props!!

The A-400s cargo bay will be a good deal larger than the C-130 though. The C-130 is already limited in what vehicles it can carry. I've been inside a C-130J-30, and i thought it was tiny, only wide enough to park a largish car, possibly a HUMVEE. (but the cockpit was huge).

Martin H

Lance. that FLA mock up wasnt quite full scale mate.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: B787 on February 02, 2010, 01:00:05 PM
Whilst trying to avoind raining on anyone's enthusiasm for this particular plane, but it doesn 't look too different from the Future Large Aircraft mock up I saw a Farnborough some years ago. Large being a loosely used word as it seemed to be about the size of a non streched C130, and YES  I DO know what one looks like. I've even been inside one! IF this is the best Airbus can do for military aircraft then I'm afraid they aren't going to get too far. The only tihng that makes it look somewhat good are the damm props!!

The A-400s cargo bay will be a good deal larger than the C-130 though. The C-130 is already limited in what vehicles it can carry. I've been inside a C-130J-30, and i thought it was tiny, only wide enough to park a largish car, possibly a HUMVEE. (but the cockpit was huge).

Only this last year or so I have had a couple of jobs where I had to design and draft up some drilling equipment.  One of the requisites was they had to fit inside a C-130 and the absolute maximum I could make the equipment was 10 feet wide.  These were trailers with drilling stuff piled on it which would be a quite a bit wider than a HUMVEE.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 02, 2010, 03:17:38 PM
Quote from: B787 on February 02, 2010, 01:00:05 PM

Only this last year or so I have had a couple of jobs where I had to design and draft up some drilling equipment.  One of the requisites was they had to fit inside a C-130 and the absolute maximum I could make the equipment was 10 feet wide.  These were trailers with drilling stuff piled on it which would be a quite a bit wider than a HUMVEE.

Yes, but you get the idea. The C-130 can't carry a helicopter, it can't carry the new armoured IED proof vehicles coming into service, nor does even a light tank fit :thumbsup: